5.3 versus 6.2

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope GM eventually makes the 6.2 available on normal trim levels. I don't care for leather nor can I blow that much on a truck. Give me a LT with the 6.2 and I'll be happy.

I read GM was going to a 2 door to compete with the express Ram, see a few of those in Texas. They need to. Some people say why race a truck, why not. I have an 11 second truck got 8000 in it. My nephew had a 10 second Ram had 20000 in it. My brother has little red truck he bought new in 79. I could go on, by the way the fastest vehicle in 79 was a 79 little red pickup by dodge. It ran 16 sec 1/4 mile. He put a cam, headers, gear, 14s. He in the 11s now. ITs all fun.

You'll never be disappointed with a bigger motor... Have you ever heard anyone say, man I wish I went with the 5.3, this 6.2 sucks!!..... I haven't heard that

There were more than a few reported cases of the LS7 having excessive valve guide wear which ultimately led to (or was a symptom of a bigger problem) the valve snapping and grenading the engine. You could essentially get the same car, but with an LS3. Many Corvette enthusiasts were ecstatic to get the looks of a Z06 and some of the performance bits in an LS3-powered Grand Sport.

I read GM was going to a 2 door to compete with the express Ram, see a few of those in Texas. They need to. Some people say why race a truck, why not. I have an 11 second truck got 8000 in it. My nephew had a 10 second Ram had 20000 in it. My brother has little red truck he bought new in 79. I could go on, by the way the fastest vehicle in 79 was a 79 little red pickup by dodge. It ran 16 sec 1/4 mile. He put a cam, headers, gear, 14s. He in the 11s now. ITs all fun.

To each their own. I like Ford Lightnings too, but I mean 6000 lb CC trucks aren't meant to be "fast" - powerful yes. Now at the drag strip when you start talking about turbo diesels that's a whole 'nother story.

I guess for me, given that I get my speed/power fix in other vehicles, the question was - would I enjoy this truck any more or use it any differently w/ the 6.2? And the answer was not really. I couldn't stand the 3.08 gears though that's for sure.

Ok I admit Im thick sometimes, I guess people are saying the engine is a 2000 dollar option, I never order cant wait that long, if its not there or close by its not happing. They always make better deals with them on the lot anyway. If I could have got mine with a 6.2 for two grand more im in. Drive out for 34000 I would trade take the hit a mine still came out ahead.

since I am trading my 6.2 camaro in on this truck and as part of the bigger picture I HAD to go with the 6.2 sure its going to be heavy sure its a truck, but the damn 5.3 in my 2010 silverado is sluggish even with a CAI and the new 5.3 felt the same.. The 6.2 yea not even a question..
Plus since I wanted the max tow package it was my option anyways.
but even if not, it would be.
More power as Tim would say

I have the 6.2 in my Denali. The two downsides I was worried about was the $2,000 upgrade and the gas mileage. The $2,000 is short money in the big picture as others have said and I've been getting 16.0 mpg consistently driving 50% city streets and 50% highway at 70mph; pretty good if you ask me. Both of those downsides are easily outweighed by all the things that the 6.2 does well. I hauled 2,500 lbs 1,000 miles last weekend and would consistently forget the trailer was even back there at 78 mph. Granted 78 mph isn't much at all but the load had terrible aerodynamics too.The truck is just powerful so it's not jumping from gear to gear. Without a trailer it's great on the highway too when you are climbing hills or mountains as the bigger bore can pull the steep grades at high speeds where I would assume the 5.3 might struggle a little more, but that is pure speculation. Take my word for it that it's really hard to put into words the experience of driving the 6.2, but you won't be disappointed when you do.

I purchased a 5.3L since it had the power that I wanted for occasional towing and driving into the hills. However, if you are asking do I want a larger engine then the answer is yes you probably do.

If you spend a few grand extra now, with payments it is like $20-$30/month you will be happier with the truck and it will last you years and years vs. thinking in a year should I trade it in and then all of a sudden your truck costs you $15k more cause of the depreciation hit.

I test drove both multiple times. The 5.3 was good and felt strong. The 6.2 was noticeably more responsive and powerful. I enjoyed it so much it drove my buying decision over any other feature or option. Haven't had this much fun driving my 6.2 since I drove a '93 Mustang 5.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I agree it a matter of taste, need and money. Sitting on the lot on Dec. 31 with the deals they were making the 20,000 differents was the key for me. The personal touches I could do on the truck with the deference was key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes the engine is a 2K difference and then the required stupid 20 inch wheels are at least another 1K and then the premium

is a concern. I cant imagine pulling my travel trailer with those little sidewalls on the 20's that are required with the 6.2. I would

actually prefer 17's. I am old school and hate the big wheels required. Would it be possible to get the 6.2 with the 20's and then

sell them and put 17 or 18's on it and I would assume I would need a tune because of the difference in wheel size????

Archived