5.3 versus 6.2

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 5.3L was not an option for me.

I have a 22 ft Bennington Pontoon, and a Gulfstream 8500 pound travel trailer. Although I did not get the max towing package, having the additional HP was a no brainer. Having a 2011 Denali had me spoiled with the 6.2, anyway.

Will

yes the engine is a 2K difference and then the required stupid 20 inch wheels are at least another 1K and then the premium

is a concern. I cant imagine pulling my travel trailer with those little sidewalls on the 20's that are required with the 6.2. I would

actually prefer 17's. I am old school and hate the big wheels required. Would it be possible to get the 6.2 with the 20's and then

sell them and put 17 or 18's on it and I would assume I would need a tune because of the difference in wheel size????

It sounds like you could sell those 20's for a decent amount and get a nice set of 17's or 118's with a good set of tires for about an even trade. Hell just get the dealer in your deal to do the swap and if programming is needed it could be done before you take delivery of the truck.

I have 18's would have preferred 17's but the 18's ride nice and have a lot of sidewall still.

My two cents is this, you need to decide what your are going to do in your truck and what will make yout happy. I have a 5.3 crew cab, I wanted to truck to be able to use when I needed, i.e. home depot, mulch, hauling leaves and just general stuff. I have nothing to tow and have only towed a few things a couple miles. My point is like everyone else is saying if you are going to use it and can afford it then why the hell not. Me personally went over budget a little already, but i needed to crew cab for a growing family, and wanted the v8, so i got what i got. I would not describe the 5.3l as sluggish, I am sure if you drove the 6.2l right after the 5.3 then yeah it would feel less powerful, because it is. I have been having a couple vibration issues and the truck has been at the dealer for over a week now, they gave me a rental of a nissan rouge, I drove my truck yesterday to see of it was fixed and man it felt like and animal after driving that turd for a week. So it is all relative. End of the day if had no budget I may have waited for one, but reality is it is not just 2k investment at least in my area, ltz is 4k more and then add the motor, idk about high country or denalli so it ends up being alot more.

mike

There were more than a few reported cases of the LS7 having excessive valve guide wear which ultimately led to (or was a symptom of a bigger problem) the valve snapping and grenading the engine. You could essentially get the same car, but with an LS3. Many Corvette enthusiasts were ecstatic to get the looks of a Z06 and some of the performance bits in an LS3-powered Grand Sport.

or the best of both ....a ZR1!!!

Why not spend another 2k if yourw already payin that much...

I totally agree. I test drove the 5.3 last month and the 6.2 earlier today and couldn't believe the difference.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

I have driven all 3. The V6 impressed me alot. Plenty of power. For somebody cost conscious and wanting great mpg out of a half ton, it is an AWESOME vehicle. The 5.3 was very responsive. More than enough power for most anybody. But...I bought the 6.2. I was SO impressed the first time I stood on the accelerator. This damned truck is FAST. I used the excuse that I plan on pulling an 8-9000 lb trailer, and wanted that extra margin of power. My wife bought it, and I love the darned thing. Mileage, havnt had it on an extended road trip yet. Just turned 1,000 miles, and just been primarliy my commuter. My last tank averaged 19.2 mpg, and I am VERY happy with that! Did I NEED a 6.2? Not really. But for the first time in my life, I was able to buy the truck I wanted, with everything I wanted, and the engine I wanted, without stressing too much about the cost. No regrets at all. I know, after reading all these posts, if I had settled for a 5.3, I would be wishing that I spent the extra money for a 6.2!!!

post-125245-0-87501200-1391305542_thumb.jpg

I hope GM eventually makes the 6.2 available on normal trim levels. I don't care for leather nor can I blow that much on a truck. Give me a LT with the 6.2 and I'll be happy.

That's a surprise. I remember that the 6.2 used to be available in LT trim as far back as 2009, and I contemplating getting a new leftover LT 2WD extended cab with the 6.2 motor and max tow package that I stumbled upon on this dealer's lot. It looks like someone ordered it and could not buy it or some reason. At the price was great, I think I could have got it for something like $ 26k.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a surprise. I remember that the 6.2 used to be available in LT trim as far back as 2009, and I contemplating getting a new leftover LT 2WD extended cab with the 6.2 motor and max tow package that I stumbled upon on this dealer's lot. It looks like someone ordered it and could not buy it or some reason. At the price was great, I think I could have got it for something like $ 26k.

The old 6.2 is NOT the same motor...

I hope GM eventually makes the 6.2 available on normal trim levels. I don't care for leather nor can I blow that much on a truck. Give me a LT with the 6.2 and I'll be happy.

2009 it was available only on the LTZ model (crew cab only)

2010-2013 it was available on LT and LTZ models (ext and crew cabs)

Ryan

I haven't driven one with a 6.2 yet but from what everyone is saying I wish I had waited a few months so I could have ordered one. In the spring I'm going to order a supercharger to liven up the old 5.3

I haven't driven one with a 6.2 yet but from what everyone is saying I wish I had waited a few months so I could have ordered one. In the spring I'm going to order a supercharger to liven up the old 5.3

It would be much more powerfull than the 6.2 and way more torque and sound really cool...

Im gonna guess 455 hp supercharged w 6 lbs of boost

Between mine and my dads or the few weve tuned I can mostly tell a difference on long hills and downshifts in town. My 6.2 truck has 3.73s and really loves v4 mode as to where my dads 5.3 with 3.42s doesnt stay in it as long. If you pay atention while driving the 6.2 you can actually get some great mileage! When jumping into traffic with the 6.2 you dont have to kick it into another gear with the 5.3 you possibly will. Dont get me wrong though the 5.3 is no slouch!!!!!!tune the 5.3 and it is a blast and VERY comparable to a 2013 6.2!!

Archived