Transmissions Issues/Problems

On 2/9/2014 at 10:23 AM, jrpriest said:

I have a 2014 Denali with the 6.2 and 3.42 rear end. My transmition has a awkard shift into second gear. The dealer said that this is normal because of the low first gear. Of course that is BS. The true is that these trucks have all been programed for max fuel economy. We will all have to wait for a an after market tuner to fix the driveability issues. I like my truck, but it could be so much more. I came out of a 2010 Tundra. The Toyota had a very good drive train.

I wish GM would learn that most people buy a truck because it's fun to drive not because of fuel economy. Or atleast that my opion. They should offer two programing options. One for fuel economy and one for those of us that want the best performance possible from our trucks.

I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 with the LTZ and my transmission drive just went out I've been doing a lot of studying and one of the big things is making sure yeah proper line pressure but one big corporate that caught my eye with you saying you tell is the torque converter and it just started doing it you might be alright and then since the torque converters off you might as well have him put a new I think it's a pump valve for the tranny fluid

• 8 months later...

I have a 2018 Silverado with the same problem. The hard downshift at low speeds. ( 6 speed )Dealer has no clue. So here's the problem and fix. When you turn the key to start wait for all the chimes and buzzers to end, then start. The transmission has sensors it that have to cycle.  In other words,  it's like a computer. You have to wait for it to open before you can use it. These trucks are not nuts and bolts anymore but wires and sensors. I've been doing this for over 3 months now and works 95 percent of the time. Our trucks at work are the same way. You have to wait till after the chimes or sensors to cycle  before you start. 

4 hours ago, 0987654321 said:

I have a 2018 Silverado with the same problem. The hard downshift at low speeds. ( 6 speed )Dealer has no clue. So here's the problem and fix. When you turn the key to start wait for all the chimes and buzzers to end, then start. The transmission has sensors it that have to cycle.  In other words,  it's like a computer. You have to wait for it to open before you can use it. These trucks are not nuts and bolts anymore but wires and sensors. I've been doing this for over 3 months now and works 95 percent of the time. Our trucks at work are the same way. You have to wait till after the chimes or sensors to cycle  before you start. 

I'll be damned if this fixes mine that I've had issues with since new, now at 40k miles.  I'll try it this afternoon and report back.  

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 7:29 AM, 0987654321 said:

Tried this several times this past weekend and it did nothing for me.  

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 7:29 AM, 0987654321 said:

Would the engineers actually design something like this?  Seems unlikely...

Try this trick, if your truck has the tow package press the tow button and drive your truck in a normal manner. You'll notice it doesn't have the hard downshift.  That's because the computer has different specs for this program. It's kinda crazy I know but it's true. Good luck. 

• 2 months later...

I’ve just experienced the same problem with my 2017 Silverado 1500 LDT. I noticed it struggling to get from 2nd to 3rd gear at around 40-60km. It just revs high and finally switched to 3rd at around 80km and 3500 rpms. I feel like I have to let go of the gas to put less tension on the transmission and slowly try again. My engine light just came on today so that’s another concern. I checked my tranny fluid and my temperature and they seem to be okay. 
anyone have any recommendations ? It’s my first ever truck. I have around 100k km on it. I don’t ever tow

edit: 

day two with this issue and the engine light on. Transmission fluid stayed at around 55C and wouldn’t get into 3rd gear. Just high rpms around 60km/h. I had it in auto because yesterday I found auto made it work a bit better, guess I was wrong. 

Edited by Louis R

• 1 month later...

I'm so disappointed with my 2015 Silverado 1500 V8 transmission.  Bought the truck a year ago and the transmission was shifting weird like some of the others have posted.  I brought the truck in for service about 3 months after purchase and they said nothing was wrong. 

So, I was like okay guess it is normal until I almost got in an accident.  I was trying to accelerate across some traffic and the transmission never caught until I let off the gas a few times so it can catch but almost got smashed.  So I took it back to the dealership and they said it was the torque converter.  They changed out the torque converter.

Ok, so now I want to take a long trip with my 7000 lb travel trailer well under the towing capabilities.  Trying to cross an intersection and same thing happens transmission will not catch which happened a lot in tow mode.  Back to the dealer,  transmission is a mess have to order rebuild kit blah blah takes like 3 months.  

I'm feeling better it was rebuilt, so going to florida in RV for vacation.  Corornavirus happens and I'm trying to get home and guess what.....transmission fails in the top end gears.  I have to do 45 mph for the next four hours.  Back to dealership,  and they are requesting a new transmission. 

Based on what I'm seeing on the post is that a new transmission is not going to last.  That is too bad because I have always been a chevy guy and have a 67 stepside in the garage but now I'm looking at manufacturers.

Edited by E dubs
More details on the last failure. Highway driving and shifting a lot in top gears but a lot of downshift backlashes that had me jump. Then heard a squeling noise when shifting between top end gears. Uphill during a shift and pop no more top end gears.

I guess my transmission is just dumb. 6900 miles and it still hasn't "learned" how to shift into second. Today it shifted so hard I thought someone hit me.

Check the fluid level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys use the cruise on a regular basis? I stopped using cruise and my shifts got better...
I normally use cruise religiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

The Black Bear tune made my 8 speed shift well and improved performance as well as made the engine acceleration at take off very crisp. Just sold my truck so selling my tuner. PM for more info.