Work Truck remote starter without keyless entry

• 8 months later...

Hi I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado Blackout Edition. I have the AQQ code and keyless entry (remote with 3 options.. lock/unlock/panic). I want to add remote starter. Is it as easy as going to dealership, getting new key fobs with 4 options (remote start/lock/unlock/panic) and having them program them? Or can I but the new fobs and flash them myself? Thank you 

No and NO. Need a kit. Includes a hood latch, new fobs, wire harness and a code for the dealer to give to Techline when they call them. Wires go to ground and into the cab to the BCM.  Then after install, the dealer calls with the code and GM updates the BCM software on their end. Now the tech can download the updated software to your truck. Then comes the fob programing. Make sure you tell them to "add" the new fobs as the old fob's  will still work after the update. I believe most techs will do this after reading this forum for years, I wouldn't bet on it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 6:12 PM, tbarn said:

No and NO. Need a kit. Includes a hood latch, new fobs, wire harness and a code for the dealer to give to Techline when they call them. Wires go to ground and into the cab to the BCM.  Then after install, the dealer calls with the code and GM updates the BCM software on their end. Now the tech can download the updated software to your truck. Then comes the fob programing. Make sure you tell them to "add" the new fobs as the old fob's  will still work after the update. I believe most techs will do this after reading this forum for years, I wouldn't bet on it.

Exactly.  Might be worth noting that 2017+ does not require the harness and latch as they are already installed.  This makes install simpler, but for those getting the idea that you can just purchase fobs, it won't work as the code/updated BCM program is really what you are buying and it comes on a sheet in the parts kit, no other way to get it.   I added remote start on my 2017 Sierra W/T with AQQ, works great.  

• 1 year later...