CNG isn't a big topic of discusion on the forums. But I wanted to see if those who have gone the "green" route, probably for business reasons, shared my thoughts on GM's 6.0L HD bi-fuel trucks.

I did a full road test on a 2015 Crew Cab 4x4 a couple weeks ago and was disappointed in both the range and power of CNG compared to E-10 gasoline. GM loses 60hp and about 20% mpg with the CNG switch. Ford's CNG bi-fuel models don't lose either power or mpg.

It was also somewhat surprising to see the 17-gallon (GGE) fuel tank really only provides about 13 GGE of fuel before it switches to gasoline. post-112985-0-12032500-1402927485_thumb.jpg

post-112985-0-12032500-1402927485_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

At work we have 'factory' dedicated CNG 2013 Express 2500's and bi-fuel 2012 and 2013 Silverado 2500's. We also have dedicated CNG 2013 F-250's and 2011 Silverado 2500's, all of which were converted by aftermarket companies.

First off, there is no way an engine will make the same power and give the same economy on CNG as it does on gasoline, simply because CNG has less BTU's than gasoline. There is always a trade-off, and it is noticeable in a bi-fuel vehicle. I would have to question if the Ford that was tested was actually switching over to CNG if there was no difference in performance and economy. Not switching over is a common problem with some systems.

In my experience (and I drive these trucks most every day) I can't say there is much difference in performance or economy between a GM 6.0L and a Ford 6.2L operating on CNG alone, though many of my drivers say the Chevy's run a bit better. Since we have not compared them on a dyno, I can't say for sure. I personally have not driven a 2015 bi-fuel GM truck yet, but as I understand the system is the same as it has been the last few years.

I can say that the 'factory' GM dedicated and bi-fuel units have had fewer problems than aftermarket converted units of either make. The fact that you can get CNG service and parts at many GM dealers is a big advantage. Ford does not seem to be willing to offer CNG as a factory option, but they have designated some aftermarket companies as authorized upfitters. Not a great situation in my opinion.

As for the economy of operating CNG vehicles, there are many factors to consider, such as vehicle price, fuel price, usage, and applicable tax breaks. Many vehicle fleets are seeing a significant savings with CNG vehicles. The only recommendation I can give is 'do the math'!

Archived