Initial Thoughts on the new Twins

Colossus

Over the past several weeks, I've seen a handful of the new trucks out on the road. I am surprised to find myself admitting that I really like the way they look. Such an improvement over the previous Colorado/Canyon & the S-10s. It looks to be just the right size for what a small pickup should be, and I think these will prove to be good sellers for GM, which also surprises me to admit that because I still think GM has a TON of PR work to do to improve it's image after all the crap and dishonesty they've gone thru as well as not paying back the bail out money they got from the Government. I really think we have the makings of some good competition between the GM Twins, the new Stranger(Ranger) whenever Ford releases it, the Nissan Frontier, and the Toyota Taco. I'm going to eventually go test drive the Colorado in time just to get a feel for what it is like, but will still be sticking to the full size and heavy duty trucks for my own use.

Uh...they paid back the govt $$...and their image has improved a good bit...

Colorado and Canyon are great trucks. Puts the current midizers to shame but I'm sure Nissan will answer back. New Taco looks good but it remains to be seen how it performs. Ford most likely won't play in the field. Got a feeling they will stick to full size unless there is a big uptick in midsize sales. For a big majority of 1/2 ton buyers, the Colorado/Canyon are way more than they need. They are sized like a mid/large size crossover (which are quite dominant in the SUV/CUV market) and could get people that own something like an Equinox, that have always wanted a truck, but a 1/2 ton is just way too large. Equinox convenience, truck capability in a smaller wrapper. You like a Tahoe alot, but hey, this Equinox is more exactly what I want kind of thing.

Uh...they paid back the govt $$...and their image has improved a good bit...

Colorado and Canyon are great trucks. Puts the current midizers to shame but I'm sure Nissan will answer back. New Taco looks good but it remains to be seen how it performs. Ford most likely won't play in the field. Got a feeling they will stick to full size unless there is a big uptick in midsize sales. For a big majority of 1/2 ton buyers, the Colorado/Canyon are way more than they need. They are sized like a mid/large size crossover (which are quite dominant in the SUV/CUV market) and could get people that own something like an Equinox, that have always wanted a truck, but a 1/2 ton is just way too large. Equinox convenience, truck capability in a smaller wrapper. You like a Tahoe alot, but hey, this Equinox is more exactly what I want kind of thing.

Yeah, I remember that it was all over the news when the government detached itself from.

• 5 weeks later...

I saw a canyon while at the dealer getting service work. I don't care for the look, to me it has Honda ridgeline written all over it. Should of kept my 2012 canyon its better than 14 sierra. It's to early to tell how they will fare

I think they will do well in a very neglected segment of the market. Going to go out and give a really good test drive to the new Colorado and Silverado and do a good comparison.

I've been in the market for a new truck for more than a year. Living in the interior of Alaska I needed something that would fit into our large 2 car garage next to my wife's Jeep. I looked at all the current offerings and while a F150, RAM 1500, GMC Sierra and Toyota Tundra would technically fit it would make it very inconvenient to use the 3rd garage stall and a tight fit next to my wife's Jeep. Drove both the Tacoma and Frontier, was not impressed with them but they did fit and I was able to move around them in the garage.

January of this year I was in Florida and was able to drive the new Colorado and Canyon, my wife and I loved them! Back in Alaska we started shopping around and couldn't find a dealer in the state with one in stock. Up until last week no one had one in stock, most are sold before they hit the dealers lot. Found a GMC Canyon with All Terrain package in bound to Anchorage and bought it sight unseen. Guess you can say I liked them from day one. Picked it up yesterday and drove it 385 miles home in a nasty ice/snow storm. Averaged 19 MPG and had no issues driving on ice covered road with 1 foot snow drifts in the road at times.

For me a mid-sized truck makes perfect sense, I needed something to tow a 18' boat, haul a trailer with 2 ATV's, do hardware runs, daily drive to work and other utility work. Coming from a lifted 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited to a fully equipped GMC Canyon was a shock, so many features and what a great ride.

My only concern is durability, my Jeep had one recall in 10 years and is still in great condition. Hope the GMC holds up as well.

I've been in the market for a new truck for more than a year. Living in the interior of Alaska I needed something that would fit into our large 2 car garage next to my wife's Jeep. I looked at all the current offerings and while a F150, RAM 1500, GMC Sierra and Toyota Tundra would technically fit it would make it very inconvenient to use the 3rd garage stall and a tight fit next to my wife's Jeep. Drove both the Tacoma and Frontier, was not impressed with them but they did fit and I was able to move around them in the garage.

January of this year I was in Florida and was able to drive the new Colorado and Canyon, my wife and I loved them! Back in Alaska we started shopping around and couldn't find a dealer in the state with one in stock. Up until last week no one had one in stock, most are sold before they hit the dealers lot. Found a GMC Canyon with All Terrain package in bound to Anchorage and bought it sight unseen. Guess you can say I liked them from day one. Picked it up yesterday and drove it 385 miles home in a nasty ice/snow storm. Averaged 19 MPG and had no issues driving on ice covered road with 1 foot snow drifts in the road at times.

For me a mid-sized truck makes perfect sense, I needed something to tow a 18' boat, haul a trailer with 2 ATV's, do hardware runs, daily drive to work and other utility work. Coming from a lifted 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited to a fully equipped GMC Canyon was a shock, so many features and what a great ride.

My only concern is durability, my Jeep had one recall in 10 years and is still in great condition. Hope the GMC holds up as well.

Congrats on the new truck! I just purchased a Canyon myself (Crew Cab SLE). I'm curious as to how yours held up driving through snow drifts with that low hanging front facia. Any issues? I'll be doing a lot of off-roading on the beaches here on the east coast and think that facia piece would become more of a plow over the dunes. MPG on the highway is one thing but off road I think I'd have to remove it or at least put a leveling kit on.

Congrats on the new truck! I just purchased a Canyon myself (Crew Cab SLE). I'm curious as to how yours held up driving through snow drifts with that low hanging front facia. Any issues? I'll be doing a lot of off-roading on the beaches here on the east coast and think that facia piece would become more of a plow over the dunes. MPG on the highway is one thing but off road I think I'd have to remove it or at least put a leveling kit on.

The air dam didn't cause any issues and is intact. It does hang down low and if I was going off roading I would be concerned about it being damaged. If I was going to do anything other then dirt roads I would remove it before heading out.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a canyon while at the dealer getting service work. I don't care for the look, to me it has Honda ridgeline written all over it. Should of kept my 2012 canyon its better than 14 sierra. It's to early to tell how they will fare

LOL...........You seem to be confused.

The new GM trucks are far above and beyond any truck GM has manufactured before. The new Colorado and Canyon are both great little trucks. An old design Canyon is not comparable to a full size in any way. The quality of the new trucks is much better than any previous years.

A stupid canyon better then a full size Sierra hahaha good on ya I doubt it bud. I would like to see a canyon pull 12 000pound 5th wheel trailer up and down the highways and through rush hour traffic. I can guarantee that a little tinny canyon quarter ton can't. Canyons new or old are an embarasment to full size truck owners every were. Buy a real truck buy a full size if you need a truck otherwise go buy a car.

If you don't plan on grossly overloading your truck by towing well beyond its rated capacity(as a 12000 lb trailer would be for a 1500) then something like a Colorado would be fine. Pulling a small utility trailer with atvs on it probably won't weigh more than 2500-3000 lbs loaded, any compact truck will pull that with ease. I used to own a 91 S-10 4x4 with the 4.3 and it would pull a 6x12 trailer with 3 atvs on it like it wasn't even back there. I'm sure everyone would prefer a full-size truck but the smaller trucks cost a lot less and that's the main reason why people buy them.

My trucks rated for 10 000lbs and I highly doubt an v6 s10 would pull a 6x12 trailer with quads like it wasn't there. My buddys old lady had a crew cab s10 v6 thing and it stugled pulling two sleds on a sled trailer and only got 7mpg doing it and saved hard in the rear. Just a incredibly useless truck and wasn't even that good on gas even empty it would struggle to get 20 mpg. They bought a full size Silverado like mine and haven't looked back.

Conky,

I appreciate your input, but please understand that we are a community here of GM. It's one thing to bash a competitor, but to bash the little brother (canyon colorado) , that's taking it a bit far and looks like a troll case.

You are obviously a diehard gm guy and we welcome you here. But don't bash..

Archived