Bilstein shocks thread

4 Wheel Parts has a President's Day sale on the adjustable 5100s + free install (great deal for the fronts) + $152 alignment + tax...so $535 out the door price for me in southern CA. I can't decide whether to do this or just remove the rear block for free.

My goal is to level the truck as much as I can and probably keep the stock tire size. I will not tow anything.
I have a supercharger too, so maybe lowering the rear an inch and a half is better than raising the front.

Is it a wise idea to remove the rear block to accomplish this level?????

Seems like a damn good deal to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Mileguru said:

4 Wheel Parts has a President's Day sale on the adjustable 5100s + free install (great deal for the fronts) + $152 alignment + tax...so $535 out the door price for me in southern CA. I can't decide whether to do this or just remove the rear block for free.

Thanks for the heads up... I went over to 4 Wheel Parts and was able to place my order last night.  Got them for $297.56 plus tax (they have a local store in town) so $322.85 after tax and out the door.  I got the coupon for free installation, too!  That's one heck of a deal... or so I thought.

Imagine my surprise when I got the call from Mark, the local 4 Wheel Parts manager this morning.  He said that there was a mistake with my order, as my truck doesn't have four shocks... I have two shocks in the rear, and two struts up front.  I looked at my invoice, and I see that it lists two different sets of shocks and their part numbers:  BIL24-238304 front and BIL33-238319 rear.  (See attached.)

To be fair, I got his point... it's not a separate coil spring between the frame and the lower A-arm, and a separate shock up front.  The shock and spring (AKA: Strut) are an integrated part that would need to be disassembled so that the stock spring could be transferred to the new shock.  Potato, potahto... spring and a shock, or a strut.  Same thing.  I even said as much, but he wouldn't listen... it's not a shock, it's a strut!  Case closed.

I scratched my head, confused... I told him that the part numbers should be correct, but he was adamant that I was wrong and that he would need to correct my order and order new front struts.  (They must come with new springs and fully assembled as a strut, right?  lol...)  So he re-entered the 'correct' part numbers, and then said it would be at an increased cost.  Say what? 

At this point, I'm getting frustrated... Why is it when I entered a search for "Bilstein" it comes up with all of their products, then when I enter all of my vehicle information, it comes up on the website as replacement SHOCKS?!?! 

Here's what I mean:  https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/Bilstein-5100-Series-Ride-Height-Adjustable-Shock-Absorber-24-238304.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=BIL24-238304

He STILL telling me that they are struts and not shocks... as if I'm some moron that doesn't know the difference.  Dude, I get it.  A strut is typically a shock, a spring, a spring pad/perch, plus the necessary hardware to hold it all together... if I know that, then how is it that the manager of the store doesn't know this?  Maybe he thinks that this is supposed to come pre-assembled, like some of the other units they sell?  (Fox 2.0 at a much higher cost, for example.)  Even their in-house ProComp brand says that the spring is not included, but they call it a strut... until you read the "technical details" where it says that it comes with FOUR SHOCKS!

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/2-Front-Pro-Runner-Adjustable-Struts-and-2-Rear-Pro-Runner-Monotube-Shocks.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=S/DShockingZXCombo#questions_Container

I tell him to just go ahead and order the "right parts" and I'll come pick them up.  I'm tired of arguing at this point.  So before I hang up I throw out there:  So it said that I get free installation when I order on line and choose local store pickup.  He proceeds to tell me that (again) that these are struts, and strut installation is not covered, and that there would be additional installation fees.  Great... so this deal isn't exactly what I was lead to believe? 

It says right here on my order confirmation (attached) that it's four shocks, qualifies for free installation... I guess you need to talk to your corporate office, because this isn't adding up. 

So after that, I called the 4 Wheel Parts main number and spoke with a guy... he basically said that I can cancel the order and get a refund, or I can just go pick them up locally when they come in.  The stores are independently owned and operated, so there is nothing they can do.

I get that the local guys are probably getting screwed by corporate by having things listed on their websites like this... but they need to work that out between themselves.  I told Mark that I get it... you can't work for free and you've gotta make money to stay in business... but your corporate office needs to get their stuff together, because all this does is piss off customers that are being told one thing at the time of order, and then getting the old, "bait and switch" routine locally. 

Sorry for the rant...

4wheelparts order.jpg

4wheelparts invoice.jpg

They are shocks, not struts.  Truck people are stupid--including and sometimes especially those who sell aftermarket parts for them.

Struts rigidly bolt or clamp to the spindle.  They react moments about the spindle with the strut shaft in bending, negating the need for an upper control arm.  Any suspension with upper and lower A-Arms does not have struts.  Such a system would be over-constrained and bind up.  Shocks are free to rotate at both ends, thus having no ability to locate/align the spindle.

Assembling a spring onto a shock simply makes it a coilover, not a strut.

Jon A - Isn't that technically a MacPherson strut vs. just a strut? I found this while I was looking for a decent explanation so I could explain it when I pick up my parts... is this right?

https://www.autoeducation.com/autoshop101/suspension.htm

Strut:

Just a fancy unit that combines the spring and shock in to one unit. Usually a little more labor to remove the spring when replacing the shock (strut cartridge).

MacPherson Strut:

Just a fancier version of the Strut which also serves as the upper pivot point for the suspension.

No.  Like much on the internet, that page is dumbed down to the point of being wrong.

Shocks and struts are both dampers, but with a shock that's all it does.  It takes no bending loads (other than those caused by bushing resistance) and has no effect on the suspension geometry.  With a strut it serves as the upper pivot point of the kingpin axis (steering) instead of the upper ball joint (because the suspension doesn't have one).  Putting a spring on one or the other doesn't transform one into the other.

Yes, most strut-type suspensions are based on the MacPherson design, which is where they get their name.   You can have the spring mounted on the strut, on the lower control arm (though it's relatively rare as it increases the bending loads on the strut further increasing their structural requirements) or even use torsion springs or leaf springs and it's still a strut suspension.  As you can with an SLA.  It doesn't matter where you put the spring, that doesn't change the type of suspension you have.

Obviously, trying to explain all that to the average behind the counter parts guy is just a waste of time.  But you were correct, you needed new shocks.  Not struts.  These trucks don't have struts.

Well, I got the call from my local 4 Wheel Parts today... the manager said that my shocks... errrr... and struts, were in and ready for pickup.

I went in and shared the info from the 4 Wheel Parts website where they call them 'shocks' and where Bilstein calls them shocks... but those guys never changed their minds.  They also tried to increase the price, but I showed them how I ordered them on-line and it came up as a package deal for four shocks... specifically for my 2014/Chevrolet/Silverado/Crew Cab/LTZ/5.3 Liter.  (Had to select each option.)  I showed him the invoice, which listed the correct part numbers, and specifically where they called them shocks.  "No sir... those are struts."

So you're telling me that 4 Wheel Parts corporate, Bilstein, GM, and I are all wrong by calling them shocks... and you're right?  Okay, whatever...

I will give the parts guy behind the counter credit... he looked through the computer, checked the part numbers, saw the invoice, tried three ways from Sunday to square up how I got that price and couldn't make it happen... so he just went ahead and entered a description saying that the cost on line was what I paid, and he was going to honor that.  He shook my hand, handed me the shocks, and off I went.

I wasn't about to push my luck with free installation... even though I had the coupon.  Not worth the battle.

Edit:  Imagine my surprise when I got home and opened the box for the front shocks, took a look at the instructions and saw:

"1. Disassemble front shock and coil spring according to vehicle manufacturer's procedures."

Go figure...

Bilstein 5100 Installation Instructions.pdf

Edited by Fasthotrod
Added Bilstein instructions

2 hours ago, jgraves13 said:

Anyone able to fit 285/75/r17 with these on the highest setting? Debating between 285/70 and 285/75

just replied to you on the leveling kit topic, I think you'll have issues with 285/75/17 unless you select the right offset, which I would think is between +6 to +18 on a 9" wheel. There may be slight rubbing on the fender liner and or flap.

I'm really second guessing myself and thinking I should have went with a 2 or 2.5" level coupled with the bilsteins at the stock height setting for the best ride.

just replied to you on the leveling kit topic, I think you'll have issues with 285/75/17 unless you select the right offset, which I would think is between +6 to +18 on a 9" wheel. There may be slight rubbing on the fender liner and or flap.

I'm really second guessing myself and thinking I should have went with a 2 or 2.5" level coupled with the bilsteins at the stock height setting for the best ride.

Everything I've seen seems to point to 285/70/17 because the 75s are too big, so I will probably end up with those. I'll be doing bilsteins + uniball UCAs, and then moving to coilovers down the road when funds allow. Want to avoid spacers and I've seen pics of a few trucks with bilsteins + 285/70s and I think it looks good

• Like 1

Here's some pics of 285/7017 cooper discoverer MTPs  on 17x9 +6.6 pro comp wheels. Bilstein 5100 all around, set at the highest in the front, and an aftermarket 1" rear block. Crew cab 4x4 2016 LT z71.

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

• Thanks 1