Bilstein shocks thread

3 hours ago, 1940ModelB said:

Installed the Eibachs today.  Full review to come, but during the test drive they are a significant improvement over the ranchos.  Honestly on my truck I never felt like the Ranchos were lacking in the handling department, but they totally sucked when it came to absorbing a bump... frost heaves, speed bumps, etc... it was horrendous.  The thing was like a bucking bronco.  One frost heave near my house in particular I couldn't take at over 5 mph.  During the test drive I hit the same heave at 5, 10, and 20mph and it was hardly even noticible.  So, a definite improvement in that regard.  

The ride is slightly stiffer (and I mean slightly) but not bad at all. 

For what its worth, I installed the Eibachs on the 3rd setting and I have ~1" of rake.  The 3rd setting did actually give me a little more lift than I wanted, but I will see if the suspension settles at all.  I actually think the Eibachs give a little more lift than the Bilsteins.  I saw ~1.75" of lift in the front end on the 3rd setting.  So I would expect just over 2" for the highest setting.

All in all, they seem like a nice set.  I will give it some time, get an alignment, and report back.

Note: in the picture below the truck is on a slight incline which makes it look like its a little nose high (just look at the wheel gaps).

IMG_6609.thumb.JPG.7747060d9775b9796b1306931270b604.JPG

Sounds like a good investment!

Get an alignment ASAP. They will not settle that much in a short time - maybe late in the year you can assess. Or monitor the front end height over time.

Those stockers will get chewed up real quick.

I know that most people in this thread may disagree, but I installed the 5100's on my 2015 1500 Z71 4wd a couple of months ago, and I really dislike them.

I installed the fronts on the highest setting, and added 2" blocks in the back. I then tried moving the fronts down to the 3rd setting which helped a bit. The Truck looks good,  but the ride quality is bad.

The stiffer ride is nice around town, but it causes really bad oscillations on washboard sections of the freeway that I never had with the stock Z71 Rancho's. I also tow a 6000 pound TT with an Equalizer hitch, and front to back movement is much worse on the Bilstein's then the stock Rancho's.

I plan to take these off in a couple of months and go to a matched spring an shock combo like Fox or something else.  I've had Bilstein's on my last 4 vehicles, but do not like them on the Silverado. It's also very disappointing that the 6112's are still not available, and that they did not package them as a direct insert..... you still need to use a spring compressor to reuse some of the stock components. 

• Like 1

Aaron1121,  

I have the 5100's in the rear of my sierra and also noticed this "bucking bronco" oscillation action also on certain highways around here

that are made of concrete. It literally feels like a pogo stick in the back.

I thought I was the only one as I have never heard anyone on these forums describe this action until you mentioned it.

There is some debate on mounting these "right side up" or "upside down". Currently I have them boots up which is opposite of how they are "recommended".

Also tried them boots down and the oscillation on the same stretch of highway is NO different.

Having said that, I have been on the fence now for months waiting to figure out what I am going to install on the front.

My stock ranchos were/are worn out. 

Has anyone else with 5100's experienced this Bucking Bronco/Oscillation action on concrete highways?

• Like 1

My bucking action was greatly improved with the Bilsteins over my max- tow NHT shocks. Before I swapped shocks I could really get the bed bouncing ( the truck bed) by jumping up and down in it, or actually simply walking in it. With the Bilsteins it doesn't move or compress at all. 

That I think it's a bit overkill and may lead to a stiff, jarring ride like I have now. 

However when I'm towing tongue heavy now I'm really glad the Bilsteins are back there. 

interesting.... in my truck, the bucking stopped as soon as I dumped the Ranchos and installed the 5100 (shock body down in the rear). For those with the bucking complaint, I notice two things. One has a 2-inch lift block, the other states 5100's in the rear only

Can we get some clarification

Aaron1121Are the 2inch lift blocks on top of the factory 1" block, or did this block replace the factory setup entirely?

Sierra Dan:  You have 5100's in the back and Ranchos in the front? I can't help but think this mismatch is not helping.

As for the Bilsteins, I will say this. They aren't for everyone. If you want a cush ride, get you some new Monroes. You want less dive under heavy breaking, less lean in the turns, and more control over expansion joints, railroad tracks, etc.. get the Bilstiens

FHLH,   Are you running 5100s in the front also?  What height position?

I have a Z71 CC with the stock lift blocks in back. I do not plan on lifting the rear any.

The 5100s looked nicer to me than yellow 4600s for being the same shock internally.

Stock ranchos are still up front. I thought this was contributing to the bucking action on concrete freeways and assumed that was the problem, until I read Aaron1121's post above.

The front ranchos need to go but I do not want to Invest the time and money if this bucking action is something I will encounter daily while driving.

I just wonder how many others like Aaron1121 and I are out there if any that have this problem with the 5100 setup.

I can understand a bucking or bouncing feeling up and down with these shocks, but never imagined they or any shock would produce a front to rear buck like on a dirt bike through whoops.

The stiffer ride is something I can live with, as I already have the Z71 package and prefer this over the standard 4x4 package shock setup.

The 5100s in back do soak up potholes and severe road imperfections better than the rear ranchos I had. This trade off is worth it.

As several have reported with 5100s, they are more planted feeling and seem to "glide" or skim over harsh bumps, potholes.

They are stiffer when standing in the bed or bumper and I assume will aid in towing.

One think I have not tried is throwing a 50-70lb sandbag in the bed to see if the bucking stops or improves.

I don't think anything ride wise that I am familiar with will be better than the 2006 Avalanche I had. It rode like a dream and had stock Bilstein 4600s from the factory.

but utilized a spring rear suspension similar to a Ram.

FHLH,   Are you running 5100s in the front also?  What height position?

Highest setting and I’m on e-rated 285/65r18 but truck drove well on the p-rated 20’s as well. I’d say the E’s are harder.

Now a bit of background on my previous truck... I drove a 2000 Dodge Ram Cummins QCLB 4x4 2500 6-speed “camper special” running 35” tires with Bilstein 5100s for 8 years. This Chevy 1/2 ton on 5100s is like a Cadillac to me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac indeed!

I do miss the 2006 Avalanche I had.

It was the best handling/smoothest riding truck I have ever owned.

Factory shocks were Bilstein 4600s.

The rear suspension was set up similar to todays Ram 1500

2 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Cadillac indeed!

I do miss the 2006 Avalanche I had.

It was the best handling/smoothest riding truck I have ever owned.

Factory shocks were Bilstein 4600s.

The rear suspension was set up similar to todays Ram 1500

I'd be in a Ram Rebel right now if it wasn't for two things... no cooled seats and that stupid transmission knob. I drove the fords, ain't paying that kind of money for a plastic interior.

On 2018-03-19 at 9:56 AM, Fasthotrod said:

I run BFG KO2's in 275/70R18.  I put them on long before I ever put the Bilstein shocks up front.  I only had minor rubbing on the inner fender liner, and only at full lock when turning.

Since putting on the Bilstein shocks at the highest setting, I've not had that problem at all.

Kinda hard to see it as I took the picture at dusk after installing the shocks... but it sits pretty level.  I might pop a 1" lift block in the rear to give it a little rake, but so far it's not been bad at all.  Shocks are a bit more stiff than the Ranchos, but not in a bad way.  Turns feel better without a lot of body roll, bumps are more firm and it doesn't take long to settle down after a large dip.  

Silverado Bilstein.jpg

Do you have any other pictures? I will be installing my 5100 next week. Your tire size is what I've been looking at, just not sure yet. Thanks! 

Edited by Dtz7116

On 4/6/2018 at 7:08 AM, FHLH said:

interesting.... in my truck, the bucking stopped as soon as I dumped the Ranchos and installed the 5100 (shock body down in the rear). For those with the bucking complaint, I notice two things. One has a 2-inch lift block, the other states 5100's in the rear only

Can we get some clarification

Aaron1121Are the 2inch lift blocks on top of the factory 1" block, or did this block replace the factory setup entirely?

Sierra Dan:  You have 5100's in the back and Ranchos in the front? I can't help but think this mismatch is not helping.

As for the Bilsteins, I will say this. They aren't for everyone. If you want a cush ride, get you some new Monroes. You want less dive under heavy breaking, less lean in the turns, and more control over expansion joints, railroad tracks, etc.. get the Bilstiens

I removed the stock rear blocks and added 2.25" rough country blocks. I have the rear Bilsteins setup with the boots down. 

I personally believe that the rear is not the issue. I think the compressed spring in the front when you increase the ride height creates the stiffness and pogo stick effect.

1 hour ago, Aaron1121 said:

I removed the stock rear blocks and added 2.25" rough country blocks. I have the rear Bilsteins setup with the boots down. 

I personally believe that the rear is not the issue. I think the compressed spring in the front when you increase the ride height creates the stiffness and pogo stick effect.

Legit Question.  If the truck is raised 1.85 inches on the highest setting, how is the spring more compressed? I've heard this before but I don't quite understand. If the truck didn't lift up on the highest setting, then I'd understand the compressed spring thing.  I doubt Bilstein is configuring this for a poor ride at any height setting.... hence why they offer nothing over 2" in height. They are Germans! it's over-engineered, it's what they do :)  They came up with 1.85" for a legit reason I'd imagine.

Additional question. What are your tire sizes, load rating, and pressures? So many things can cause bad ride quality... Heck, you may even have a defective Bilstien.