Bilstein shocks thread

Just now, Delek said:

Hello peeps,

I'm trying to figure out the best possible setting for a bilstein that allows for the most movement in the shock. Im re vamping my suspension and would like to keep my almost new billys. I will be adding 3" spindles and new UCA. From what I can figure out, in order to get the best ride and the most movement, I will be moving my billys to the middle setting, adding an upper spacer, and then the new UCA to accommodate the additional downward travel. See diagram below. To me, this is how it all works out witht he 5100s.

Lowest settings has no extra down travel, but lots of extra upper travel

Middle setting has some extra down and some extra upwards travel

Highest setting has no extra upwards travel but lots of extra down travel

Seems to me the happiest and most capable position for these shocks is in the middle.

Shocks.thumb.PNG.6a6c937d0fd931e7d376564369e1679b.PNG

Sorry,. drew the bottom limit dotted line in the wrong place. But you get it.

On 5/31/2018 at 11:15 PM, catpartsman said:

It was the bottom spacer from a 2.25” procomp level lift. To me the angles look fine and nothing seems to be in a bind or awkward position. I’ve got 66,000 on the truck and 62000 of those are with the previous lift. I’m gonna run it for a little while and see where things go. The dealer does all my services so if they start to see something abnormal, I’ll remove the bottom spacer and take the rear blocks out to get the stance right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are going to eat CV Boots, the droop travel also looks atrocious.  Unsafe IMO,  There is a reason that Bilstein only gets so much lift out of the strut set up...

I appreciate your input. I’ve had several different people who specialize in suspension look at it and say it doesn’t look that bad to them. The angles are the same as the 2.25” level lift I had. I’ll watch it but at this point I’m not too worried. With the miles I had on the other lift with less droop I’m thinking I’ll be fine. But again, I appreciate your input.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the 5100's on the 3rd setting (one down from the top) and readylift 2.25" (1"lift) rear blocks.  I was too excited to get before measurements but the after are below.

FL: 37-3/16

FR: 37-1/4

RL: 40-5/16

RR: 40-1/4

Just the 70 miles drive after was night and difference, the ride is much firmed and more controlled without being harsh.  Before the front end was soft and pogo'd while the rear was stiff and harsh.  I can't believe I waited this long.

I have an alignment scheduled in a couple days to give the suspension time to settle.

Edited by thetruck454

Does anyone know if the Hellwig front sway bar would be compatible if I got the Bilstein 5100s and set them to the top level?  Is there anyone here who has added a 0.5" spacer in addition to putting on the Bilsteins?  If so, which level did you set them at, and is this advisable or will it cause issues with angles?

Well another 6 months has passed and Bilstein has finally announced that the B8 6112 Systems are ready for the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra. Bilstein has created a kit for that last two model ranges, 2014-Current  Bilstein 47-273702 & 07-13 Bilstein 47-244641. There is also Bilstein 47-251922 for the 15-17 Tahoe and Yukon. The bang for your buck level these shocks provide is very high for the price. Performance is comparable to most non-reservoir 2.5 coilover systems on the market, but the cost is close to half. To keep the cost down on your overall install, Bilstein designed the Silverado 6112s to work with stock or aftermarket control arms. The 6112 is an inexpensive way to get 2.5 diameter coilover performance at replacement shock price! With three years of development, a proven track record of high performance suspension kits and backed by the Bilstein lifetime warranty, we are sure you will find these shocks just the upgrade you were looking for on your late model Chevy or GM 1500. 

2014-Current Bilstein 47-273702

2007-13 Bilstein 47-244641

Rear 5160 Shocks 07-Current Bilstein 25-242515

Does anyone know if the Hellwig front sway bar would be compatible if I got the Bilstein 5100s and set them to the top level?  Is there anyone here who has added a 0.5" spacer in addition to putting on the Bilsteins?  If so, which level did you set them at, and is this advisable or will it cause issues with angles?

I did just what you are asking. The shop that installed them for me said everything looked good to them and they didn’t see any issue in running this set up. e4b2f2b65b30863a757afdab23b6637c.heic05ef9b28eb3570d03ee772d5fb88c19c.heic

That .5" spacer mounted on the bottom end is no problem with the 5100 or 6112s, but we do recommend an arm to take some stress off the upper BJ. Cognito arms are good bang for the buck
I currently have the same 2.25" level and just picked up a set of 5100s. I dont want to loose any height so the 5100s at max aren't going to work. It would be nice to gain a little. Should I leave the 5100s set to stock height with the 2.25" level or use just the bottom .5" spacer and adjust the height on the bilsteins? If I use the bottom spacer with the bilsteins what setting would you recommend? I also already have cognito UCAs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How will the 6112 and a .5 bottom spacer compare to running Icon Coilovers at 2.25”? I currently have Rough Country top and bottom spacer for 2.5” of

life and also have the Readylift UCA’s

Edited by Arkangel