Bilstein shocks thread

11 hours ago, jimmyboy8301 said:

2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2L
4.5" Zone
22x10 American Force Grips
33x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Instagram @wildchevys

This is what the Bilstein site gave me for my '18.  Its what I ordered but have not installed yet.

Guys,
Without doing a lot of searching from my phone I was hoping someone could readily help me with a couple questions.

I’m planning to install a set of 5100’s on the front of my ‘16 crew Silverado 1500 (Auto Anything has them on sale) similar to what I did to my ‘14 GMC 1500 Crew. Problem was at the max height setting the rear then became a bit to low when I was done.

What size blocks do I need to maintain a slight rake and do I need new u bolts?

Any specific manuf. of these blocks you would recommend that may also come with the u bolts if necessary?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Rob38jr said:

Guys,
Without doing a lot of searching from my phone I was hoping someone could readily help me with a couple questions.

I’m planning to install a set of 5100’s on the front of my ‘16 crew Silverado 1500 (Auto Anything has them on sale) similar to what I did to my ‘14 GMC 1500 Crew. Problem was at the max height setting the rear then became a bit to low when I was done.

Any specific manuf. of these blocks you would recommend that may also come with the u bolts if necessary?

Thank you.

I would think 2" blocks would be perfect for a little rake. I have the Bilsteins maxed and 3" blocks that gives me pretty much the factory rake or maybe a little more. 

On 4/26/2018 at 1:13 PM, Rob38jr said:

Guys,

Thank you.

Depends on how much rake you want, but 2" should be sufficient.  I have 5100's all-around, with the front at full and a 2" RC block in the rear.

Front before: 36 1/4"

Front after: 38"

Rear before: 39"

Rear after: 39 7/8"

There's still almost 2"s of rake.

HUEiH2R.jpg

Depends on how much rake you want, but 2" should be sufficient.  I have 5100's all-around, with the front at full and a 2" RC block in the rear.

HUEiH2R.jpg

Thank you that sounds like just what I’m looking for.

• Like 1

HUEiH2R.jpg

Truck looks awesome by the way!

• Like 1

Hey guys, I had my bilstein 5100’s installed 2 weeks ago and the ride and look is great, but I’ve noticed a pop in the front end when turning at slow speeds. I notice it most when I’m at a complete stop and then crank the wheels and begin to turn slowly. I never had the noise before hand. I purchased and had them installed by 4 wheel parts... I took my truck in to them yesterday and of course I couldn’t get it to make the noise while in the parking lot for them to hear, so I made an appointment to have them fully inspect it this week. Has anyone else had this issue? I have the shocks set at the highest setting, but should I lower it down to the 3rd setting? Any help or recommendations would be highly appreciated!

6962DF33-A353-4ABC-86BE-9E9F77B33461.jpeg

1 hour ago, SuperChevy14 said:

Hey guys, I had my bilstein 5100’s installed 2 weeks ago and the ride and look is great, but I’ve noticed a pop in the front end when turning at slow speeds. I notice it most when I’m at a complete stop and then crank the wheels and begin to turn slowly. I never had the noise before hand. I purchased and had them installed by 4 wheel parts... I took my truck in to them yesterday and of course I couldn’t get it to make the noise while in the parking lot for them to hear, so I made an appointment to have them fully inspect it this week. Has anyone else had this issue? I have the shocks set at the highest setting, but should I lower it down to the 3rd setting? Any help or recommendations would be highly appreciated!

I don't have the Bilsteins, so I don't have first hand knowledge of the pop, but I swear that I remember people talking about the low speed pop on this thread or another thread. I believe it was the top bolt not being tightened down all the way. Search the thread using the search box on the top right of this page.

My truck (SLT Crew Cab) had a similar low speed pop while stock. The dealership replaced or lubed the bushings and it was fine after that.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the rear 5100's this weekend, along with some Firestone Ride-Rite air assist springs.  The rear feels so much more planted now, and much quicker to respond.  The front is still bouncy until I can get the new fronts installed.  Hopefully I will have time soon.

41388829074_3e16c4703c_k.jpgIMG_20180511_164206950 by Mike Kubiak, on Flickr

42108758441_1f212a03c9_k.jpgIMG_20180511_164047901 by Mike Kubiak, on Flickr

I'm sure the info that i'm looking is somewhere in the almost 100 page thread, so anyway just order the adjustable 5100s for my 2015 sierra 1500.  I'm looking for prior measurements and how much more lift you got from each position on the springs.

I'm sure the info that i'm looking is somewhere in the almost 100 page thread, so anyway just order the adjustable 5100s for my 2015 sierra 1500.  I'm looking for prior measurements and how much more lift you got from each position on the springs.
Per Bilstein...4beeb5360566219ba91e555e4711a5e4.jpg

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

I read almost every page of this thread before putting on my Bilstein kit and want to thank everyone for the great information. I ended up setting mine on the third setting so I wouldn't squat so bad when towing. I still have a slight squat when towing my Jeep, but it's not bad. Here's a pic for reference for anyone who tows ocassionally like me.

IMG_1089.jpg

Looks good!  If you want to get rid of the squat, the Firestone Ride-Rite assist air springs I put on mine are great (3 posts up)!  The kit was less than $400 and comes with everything you need.  I had the springs in and shocks replaced in about 1.5 hours.

36 minutes ago, Kubs said:

Looks good!  If you want to get rid of the squat, the Firestone Ride-Rite assist air springs I put on mine are great (3 posts up)!  The kit was less than $400 and comes with everything you need.  I had the springs in and shocks replaced in about 1.5 hours.

I was looking at that when I posted earlier, that's a sweet setup! I think I'll be going that direction eventually.