Bilstein shocks thread

There's also the Roadmaster coil spring set up you as over the top of the existing Ieaf spring. I have a set in my garage that I used in my 2011. My current truck hasn't needed it because I swapped in a 3" block instead of the stock block that is 1-1/8". 

I know the block doesn't help with the weight but it sure gets rid of the squat. Had well over 1200 # in the bed earlier today and it still had a little rake. The Roadmaster set up is adjustable so if you only need a little capacity it doesn't affect the ride. 

I'm not saying it's the best way just giving some options and feedback. 

Maybe the another reason I don't feel my 2015 needs a assist is the max tow. Sure makes for a tougher ride though. 

3 hours ago, UNTsilverado50 said:

I read almost every page of this thread before putting on my Bilstein kit and want to thank everyone for the great information. I ended up setting mine on the third setting so I wouldn't squat so bad when towing. I still have a slight squat when towing my Jeep, but it's not bad. Here's a pic for reference for anyone who tows ocassionally like me.

IMG_1089.jpg

looks nice, I have a set of air bags to eliminate the saggy look

Between the rain showers this weekend I put 5100s on all 4 corners, 37.5" up front using the top setting and 39" in the rear. Didn't expect to still have that much rake and I forgot to measure beforehand.  Adding firestone ride rite air bags this weekend. Ride does seem better, real test will be on the ride to work tomorrow. 

20180528_153046.jpg

I know you all probably know this but I will share for those who may not. I reached out to Bilstein a couple of days ago and they are still giving the old "releasing sometime this summer" BS on the 6112's. I told the guy they should probably go ahead and start working in the 2019 model year so they can release them before 2025. WTH is up with these guys? Or is GM's engineering so bad that they can't make it work? They have them for nearly every other full-size out there.

Sent via Morse code

• Like 1

I finally got my fronts installed this weekend to match the rear.  I put them in on the highest setting.  I still have about 0.75" of rake, which looks perfect to me, and if it sags when loaded I can add air to the Firestone air bags to level it back out.

I went on a 400+mile trip this weekend with a few hundred pounds in the back and the family in the cab and it rode smooth and controlled.  Still comfortable and much much much less bouncy than the NHT shocks.  I will be towing the race car out of state this weekend and I look forward to seeing how it performs fully loaded and towing.

Top is after:

41528422755_9e77c20948_k.jpgBottom before, top after by Mike Kubiak, on Flickr 

I finally got my 5100’s installed on the front yesterday. I had the upper 2” spacer removed and kept the lower .5” spacer in. The truck is sitting st the same height maybe just a bit higher in the front. The ride is stiffer by a smidge but the handling is much better. I feel it soaks up the joints and holes in the roads much better now. I am very pleased with the results so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What height are the 5100s set at?

I finally got my 5100’s installed on the front yesterday. I had the upper 2” spacer removed and kept the lower .5” spacer in. The truck is sitting st the same height maybe just a bit higher in the front. The ride is stiffer by a smidge but the handling is much better. I feel it soaks up the joints and holes in the roads much better now. I am very pleased with the results so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, catpartsman said:

I just measured my truck. I am exactly one inch higher in the back than the from. I have a 2” block in the rear with 5100’s and up front I have 5100’s set st max height with a 1/2” spacer on bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk does the lower spacer actually measure 1/2" or is it a 1/4" spacer to give you a half inch rise? Generally a 2" lift spacer only measures 1". If it's a half inch spacer giving you 1" of lift combined with the Bilsteins being maxed out you may be dealing with some accelerated wear. 

Just my opinion though. I'll be lifting the front of mine with a 2" spacer kit and dropping the Bilsteins down to stock or maybe first notch. Just not a fan of the harsh ride of maxed out Bilsteins. 

It’s actually just under a 1/2” spacer. The angles look okay to me and the shop that put them on said everything looked much better with the shocks than the level lift kit. Here’s some pics. 964c4e02145f7d1f41ccbe8e6fc12bfe.jpg95a0982c1c5a303c5726e6ac9dcafad9.jpg9c135614831c0c1ca633d0094c53707b.jpgc2220114994395b03ebcd0efe5c62759.jpg2d6cbc5b7f28117449d59e0002b73ed7.jpg3442468cbbc0809d1771ffa6879a60a6.jpg

Looks like the bottom spacer from a readylift 2.25 lift. If it is its 3/8" that equals 3/4" of lift. So if the bilsteins set at max height are 1.85" or 1.77" ( depending on who you ask) your total lift is either 2.6" or 2.52" Everyone says you shouldn't add a level to maxed out 5100s and that it causes more stress on the other suspension components. I just got a set of 5100s and I'm still trying to decide how I want to install them. Stock height with my 2.25 level or remove the level and set the 5100s to max height. Problem is that I dont want loose height. I'm debating on whether or not to set it up like you did. I already have cognito ucas which should help with the angles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It was the bottom spacer from a 2.25” procomp level lift. To me the angles look fine and nothing seems to be in a bind or awkward position. I’ve got 66,000 on the truck and 62000 of those are with the previous lift. I’m gonna run it for a little while and see where things go. The dealer does all my services so if they start to see something abnormal, I’ll remove the bottom spacer and take the rear blocks out to get the stance right.

Hello peeps,

I'm trying to figure out the best possible setting for a bilstein that allows for the most movement in the shock. Im re vamping my suspension and would like to keep my almost new billys. I will be adding 3" spindles and new UCA. From what I can figure out, in order to get the best ride and the most movement, I will be moving my billys to the middle setting, adding an upper spacer, and then the new UCA to accommodate the additional downward travel. See diagram below. To me, this is how it all works out witht he 5100s.

Lowest settings has no extra down travel, but lots of extra upper travel

Middle setting has some extra down and some extra upwards travel

Highest setting has no extra upwards travel but lots of extra down travel

Seems to me the happiest and most capable position for these shocks is in the middle.

Shocks.thumb.PNG.6a6c937d0fd931e7d376564369e1679b.PNG