Aftermarket exhaust / Warranty impact?

I just purchased a 2015 Crew Cab Denali, 6.2L and took delivery two weeks ago. Have considered upgrading the exhaust with either the GM supported Borla or the Corsa - both cat back exhaust systems. I prefer the look and sound of the Corsa system but am concerned about any adverse implications that might arise when having warranty work done.

Can any provide advise here beyond just "go with Borla since it is GM supplied/approved".

Anyone have any experience with Corsa and warranty implications?

Thanks!

One clarification...you would have to go to Corsa if there are any issues with the Corsa cat back. I had the GM Borla installed by a muffler shop (bought it from a GM dealer). Million Mile Borla Warranty is direct through Borla in my situation. Not sure if dealer installs GM Borla how install is covered, but Borla warranty is a million miles.

One clarification...you would have to go to Corsa if there are any issues with the Corsa cat back. I had the GM Borla installed by a muffler shop (bought it from a GM dealer). Million Mile Borla Warranty is direct through Borla in my situation. Not sure if dealer installs GM Borla how install is covered, but Borla warranty is a million miles.

Chuck

Was your Borla split pipes at the end.?

Sent from my SG Note 4 on Tapatalk

Mine has dual tips that exit behind the passenger rear wheel.

Chuck

Was your Borla split pipes at the end.?

Mine has dual tips that exit behind the passenger rear wheel.

post-106333-0-41877000-1442363604_thumb.jpg

Mine has dual tips that exit behind the passenger rear wheel. Mine has dual tips that exit behind the passenger rear wheel.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks man, just trying to see if Borla has a set where the tips split to each side.

Thanks man, just trying to see if Borla has a set where the tips split to each side.

Yes, they do. Either dual out the back or dual out the side like mine.

Check it out here...

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/all-new-silverado-1500/performance-c-26_2519_2520_2526.html

Yes, they do. Either dual out the back or dual out the side like mine.

So how does yours compare to the Flowmaster 40,44? Does the Borla have the same sort of rating (not sure how to term it) also how much drone is there in your truck

So how does yours compare to the Flowmaster 40,44? Does the Borla have the same sort of rating (not sure how to term it) also how much drone is there in your truck

I don't know anything about Flowmaster or others like Magniflow...my only experience is Corsa and GM Borla. I had the Corsa first and it was too loud for me. It is the Sport version, where the GM Borla is the Touring. I've had many Corsa exhaust on other vehicles and besides my GTO Sport, this one was the loudest. No drone, just too loud. Sold it and installed the GM Borla. What "rating" are you talking about? It is very high quality.

No drone on the GM Borla and it has a better version of the flapper valve in case you don't want to tune out AFM. No "helicopter" noise either. The others will have some amount of the V4 noise or "helicopter" sound. The Corsa did - I used the Range AFM unit to turn off AFM.

Hey Chuck

Thanks for all your replies Sir, learning a lot. As for the "rating" verbiage, I was literally just trying to find a good term to use. I've learned that "Flomaster" comes in "40, 44" so i just referenced that. But your explanations work good. As for the below statement, I believe i understand a little of what you're saying. I have the Denali and it gears down to V4 for fuel economy "right" so is that where your "helicopter" ref comes in? what is the "flapper valve" and also "tune out AFM" ? Thanks man, truly appreciate your insight.

'No drone on the GM Borla and it has a better version of the flapper valve in case you don't want to tune out AFM. No "helicopter" noise either. The others will have some amount of the V4 noise or "helicopter" sound. The Corsa did - I used the Range AFM unit to turn off AFM."

Hey Chuck

Thanks for all your replies Sir, learning a lot. As for the "rating" verbiage, I was literally just trying to find a good term to use. I've learned that "Flomaster" comes in "40, 44" so i just referenced that. But your explanations work good. As for the below statement, I believe i understand a little of what you're saying. I have the Denali and it gears down to V4 for fuel economy "right" so is that where your "helicopter" ref comes in? what is the "flapper valve" and also "tune out AFM" ? Thanks man, truly appreciate your insight.

'No drone on the GM Borla and it has a better version of the flapper valve in case you don't want to tune out AFM. No "helicopter" noise either. The others will have some amount of the V4 noise or "helicopter" sound. The Corsa did - I used the Range AFM unit to turn off AFM."

GM puts a valve in the exhaust behind the muffler in stock exhaust, commonly called the flapper (can't remember real name), which closes the exhaust somewhat to mask the sound of the V4 mode. Going from V8 to V4 is the effect of a process called Active Fuel Management or AFM. It is for fuel economy, yes. When the factory exhaust is replaced by one without the flapper, there are two undesirable affects. One is drone or resonance (a wa, wa, wa sound) at cruising speed and the other also called drone or helicopter sound when in V4 mode. It actually sounds like a helicopter chop, chop sound. The GM Borla system is the only aftermarket one with a built in flapper and it is improved over the factory stock flapper. There is a device (Range AFM Delete) that can be plugged into the OBD-II port which disables the transition from V8 to V4, keeping it in V8 all,of the time. Another way to turn this off is through a tune of the ECM. Common tunes are through a hand held tuner (Diablo Sport) or Blackbear which is a custom tune installed through a hand held unit. You can learn more about the Range unit here: http://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v8

Does the GM Borla give you that mild purr? It's what I'm looking for, nothing loud, just a little more than what I have with the stock.

Yes, mild purr cruising. Nice deep rumble at startup.

Does the Range AFM delete affect your MPG tremendously?

It did affect it, but maybe 1 mpg. On highway, it is the same for me.

Archived