Battery Replacement

Maybe.

IMO Yes.

The question is:

Do you want to replace it now or later.

Do you want to let the battery tell you when to replace it or do you want to replace it when it's convenient for you ?

Later being on a cold day, in the rain, at night.

When the truck doesn't start due to a dead battery and it doesn't bother you to deal with it then, then wait.

I replace batteries at 4 years of age and I'm on the cycle of doing this in the summer.

:)

About as long as I ever had on a original one. I always step up to a better Delco when I replace. Usually get at least 5 years out of them.  On my old 95 I could always tell when  it was getting weak by the way it cranked over. On this one it starts so easy it's hard to tell. I'm going to check with my buddy at the dealership and see what kind of deal he will give me on a new Delco. I might go ahead and change it. If not, this fall @ 5 years for sure.

Costco has the replacement battery for 115.00 and it comes with a 42 month replacement guarantee. They told me if you think it's weak at say 40 months, bring it in for a free replacement, no questions asked.

I ended up going with a Delco. Stepped up to the 94RPG (Professional Gold 800 Amp 42 month replacement). It listed for 199.41. I got it for 150.00 plus taxes (164.39 total). No Costco around here. O'reilly's wanted 222.00  plus tax for a 800 amp battery.  Autozone 222.00 plus tax for a 850 amp AGM. Both with 3 year warranty. I've had good luck with the Delcos. Glad I went ahead and swapped it out. 

• 1 year later...

Like others said, the chain stores have instructions not to change out some batteries and this is one of them.  I changed out both of mine on a 2015  Duramax last month in about 45 minutes.  It is best to change both of them when 1 fails.  The other may not be far behind.  But GM Warranty will not change but the bad one, I prefer to do it right.  The module is just a box with about 5 big eye terminals to have to move out of the way along with 2 fender braces over the top of each battery.  

My battery bit the dust the other day also.  Went to back the truck out of the garage and it turned over a bit slowly so I started thinking replacement in the near future.  A bit later went to go somewhere and was completely dead.

Bought an Interstate from Costco with 42 month warranty and got it installed in about 30 minutes.  Hardest part was jockeying the old battery out once everything was out of the way.  Leave it to GM to make a simple job difficult.

On 8/9/2016 at 9:52 AM, White LTZ said:

A buddy of mine has the same truck as I do, 2014 Chevy crew LTZ. He is in need of a new battery. He's been to 4 different places (auto parts stores and repair shops) and they have all told him they won't replace the battery and he has to take it to the dealer. Has anyone else experienced this? They say it has to do with the cables and module on top of the battery.

typically after market / independent shops dont like touching batteries that have a fuse block on top of them. 

you can replace it yourself if you have some common sense. be careful if you use to much force on the fuse block it can break it and cause issues. 

im a tech for a gmc dealership. i dont even unhook the fuse block /cables. i take off the pos short cable, the neg cable , take out the support bar that runs asside the battery. pull the fuse cover off , release the tabs that holds it to the battery , move it out of the way, remove the battery hold down and the bolt holding the surge tank down and you have enough room to remove/replace battery. 

• 4 weeks later...

My 2015 silverado has a bad battery. Personally thought is would last more than 4 years but after reading everyone else's post, looks like I got good life out of it. Replace it with an interstate AGM battery. Cant believe they cost north of $200 but hopefully this will last 5 plus years. Definitely more difficult than it should be but the basic DIy'er can tackle this task no problem. 

20190909_183050.jpg

Edited by Truston Gunter
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2016 at 7:47 AM, Silverado-Hareek said:

I think the issue is you have to remove that structural cross member that attaches to the fender in order to be able to lift the battery out and they don't want to touch anything except for the battery itself. You know because out of all of that engine bay space, GM had to shove the battery in a tight corner like that probably to drive business to dealers which seems to be the logic behind most of the things they do. Your friend, as long has he has a good socket wrench set, should be able to install the battery himself just fine.

Well  think what you wanna think but putting a heavy a$$ battery more towards the center of gravity and back from being in front of the front wheels will be ok with me anyway. I hardly doubt this move was to drive people into the dealer either. I mean who can’t replace their car battery other than the elderly people that can’t pick up the battery. There is basic things someone should be able to do to acquire a drivers license like change a tire, properly jumpstart a vehicle etc and if said person can do this they really should be able to change a dang battery without all the crying on the dang internet.