Just installed Borla S Type. Go buy one!

Sounds great! Thanks for putting all 3 together as that's a great comparison and now I am glad I went with the S-Type first as that's what I was looking for. Mine will be here tomorrow and then will need to get it installed.

Thanks again!

I'm glad you liked it. And enjoy the S-type, I know you're going to love it.

I'm glad you liked it. And enjoy the S-type, I know you're going to love it.

Well I had the shop install my S-Type today and WOW! Now I have what sounds like a truck, but a little louder. lol I love it also! It was too dark once I picked it up to take pictures of her rear-end, so will grab it tomorrow.

Edited by Korazu

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I too am torn between the GM Borla version and the type S. From most of the videos I've watched I really like the sound of the S-type over the GM Borla version that has more of a  "touring" sound. I'm not looking for something obnoxious on my 18 denali, but want more of a truck sound. Would hate to drop all the cash for the GM version if not much sound difference over stock. I'm just worried a little about he supposed V4 drone issue with the s type. I spoke to a guy at Borla yesterday and he stated that the drone sound would most likely be able to be heard on the highway with the s-type, when it drops to V4 (helicopter sound). However, he said it might be something I'd be able to live with (recommended driving one with an s-type installed....wish I had that option). He also stated I could purchase the range AFM disabler, which keeps truck in V8 all the time (not sure how I feel about that as some have said it throws check engine lights occasionally). You guys with the S type have any feedback on if you've heard the v4 drone, or if the s type is too loud (ie wake up the neighbors)?

I have Borla Atak exhaust kit on 5.3L. In my opinion, it’s not loud enough. That’s me though. Sounds best when gas pedal is mashed to the floor. Can’t tell you about the V4 drone because I have it programmed out. Always on V8. Not much drone at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Like the clown above said (just messin with ya lol)...even the ATAK is not that loud, it is on a cold start but I have the 6.2L if that matters. Even with ANC disabled I rarely ever hear the "dreaded" helicopter but I drive in L7 most all the time...if on the highway I do get V4 but it's hardly an annoyance.

Edited by SS502

I got the S-Type on my 6.2l and the V4 sound was not that noticable. Because I tow distances though and the engine is working a bit harder the sound pressure level was bugging me a bit during a trip. I followed a suggestion in another thread and had a Borla stubby  muffler welded in front of the S-Type muffler and it took the edge off of the towing sound. Very happy with it now.

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

Really love my S-type....only issue now is that I hear a slight hum noise between 70-75....and more so during V4 mode....going to try a range afm disabler....see if that helps 

The Range will eliminate any drone at any speed.

I have the S Type and had drone around 1500 rpm .

Got the Range plugged in and all drone is gone. 

I really like how the S Type sounds too . Not too loud but plenty loud to hear. My gear head  Son in law commented the other day and said 

"That thing sounds badass".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dieselfan1 said:

The Range will eliminate any drone at any speed.

I have the S Type and had drone around 1500 rpm .

Got the Range plugged in and all drone is gone. 

I really like how the S Type sounds too . Not too loud but plenty loud to hear. My gear head  Son in law commented the other day and said 

"That thing sounds badass".

So how has the range behaved?....any issues?.....and yes your son in law is right.....sounds badass lol

34 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

So how has the range behaved?....any issues?.....and yes your son in law is right.....sounds badass lol

You don't even know its there. No V4 at all. V8 all the time.  No issues . None whatsoever.  It works as advertised.

• Like 1

Debating on what to do with mine. I like stock exhaust for long drives, I had bad experiences with my last Magnaflow, drone and migraine headaches on long drives on my 2010, don't want to make the same mistake. Anyone running an electric cut-out with factory cat back so you have the option of stupid loud, or factory quiet? 

Debating on what to do with mine. I like stock exhaust for long drives, I had bad experiences with my last Magnaflow, drone and migraine headaches on long drives on my 2010, don't want to make the same mistake. Anyone running an electric cut-out with factory cat back so you have the option of stupid loud, or factory quiet? 

100% agree with you, to much noise, stock all the way!

Sent from above

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 3:41 PM, thekevin said:

I think I am going to just cut out the stock muffler and flapper and put in the Borla ProXS in its place. I did that on my last Chevy, Ford, and Ram and they all sounded good.

This is exactly what I did (plus I got the resonator removed and replaced with a straight pipe).  Sounds decent and it was a fraction of the cost (including labour) to do this versus a full cat-back replacement.

I did get a range disabler as well, as the V4 drone was getting irritating - thankfully, I managed to find a guy local to me that had a used Range device for sale, so that helped justify it... up here in the great white north, it'd cost $300 (CDN) plus shipping and cross-border duty fees to get a new Range.

Edited by johnboy105

I already have a Range but rarely use it. I’m hoping if I leave the resonator it won’t have any drone in v4 mode. I have been emailing back and forth with Black Bear this morning about getting a coupe of tunes but I plan on leaving afm enabled for daily driving.