OnStar couldn't unlock my truck

Well I got stranded for awhile yesterday. 95% of the time I take my keys/remote with me when I get out of my truck, a few times I have left them in my truck when I didn't feel like carrying my keys and relied on the OnStar or GMC apps to unlock it. Today was one of those days, I used the door lock button grabbed my phone and I was off. Few hours later apps wouldn't work..no biggie I thought. So I call OnStar and answer all the security stuff and they couldn't even unlock it so I waited for them to send a locksmith. I was in the middle of the parking lot with nothing around me on a clear day. Anyone else ever had this happen? I did get a quick pop up on the app about I needed to restart the truck manually and ??? that's all I seen before it went away but it did say more just not sure what

Wow! you have patience. i would have been so pissed. how long did you waited for? did they damage your truck at all? was it a pain to call in OnStar?

Sucks. I would never rely on the app or OnStar for something like that where you habitually lock the keys in. Especially now that they use AT&T's subpar network. I'd recommend getting a plain key cut and keeping it in your wallet. Using it is a bit of a pain but not near as much as this.

Don't be so quick to blame OnStar. Was the key left in the ignition?

From the owner's manual:

The vehicle cannot be remote
started if:
. The key is in the ignition.
. The hood is not closed.
. There is an emission control
system malfunction and the
malfunction indicator lamp is on.

OP issue was remote unlock, not remote start...

Don't be so quick to blame OnStar. Was the key left in the ignition?

From the owner's manual:

The vehicle cannot be remote

started if:

. The key is in the ignition.

. The hood is not closed.

. There is an emission control

system malfunction and the

malfunction indicator lamp is on.

I had to wait around 20 minutes for the locksmith and thankfully no damage from it. And no the keys weren't in the ignition they were in the center console. I just thought it was odd that even OnStar couldn't get it to unlock. The app not working I can understand but just thought that was a selling point of OnStar was the peace of mind of it working for things like this. Locksmith was quick and wasn't a long delay but I was also in a large city, what if I was out in the middle of nowhere?

It relays on the cell signal. If your in a dead spot then it will not work.

I just had to get them to fix an issue with mine the app completely quit working.

They did a full reset of the software to get it going again

I had Onstar when I first bought my 14 Silverado, and actually purchased 1 year of the Safe and Sound plan because I worked late, sometime to 3 am. Had to drive 12 miles in the country to get home and since I once ran off the edge of the road (a couple years back) I didn't want to be found in a ditch hours later if something bad was to happen.

One night I slipped off the semi in the rain and scratched up my leg and knee pretty good.

I had to limp through the parking lot at work to get to my pick up about 2 am and when I got to my truck I found that I left my keys in the semi, some 300 yards away. The Onstar app did not work, thinking it had something to do with the cell tower I was about 150 yards from (always had phone problems there). Called Onstar on my phone and they would NOT open the door to my truck. All I needed was to get in the truck as I have a hidden key inside, and later the next day Onstar admitted that the Onstar Advisor made a mistake... We have 5 GM cars in the family and she thought I was trying to get my wife's Equinox opened and NOT my truck, which had the safe and sound plan. I clearly said Silverado on the phone to the advisor...

They apologized and gave me 1 month extra on my account for free. NO MORE Onstar for me. :nonod:

Archived