Pulling someone out of snow question

Brushbuck

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi I was just wandering when you pull someone out of the snow is it fine to use 4wd high or do i have to use 4wd low or does it depend on the situation. What do you guys do,thanks

Depends on traction I think. I would normally try 4h first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would never use the bumper, but I would use the hitch.

And, as stated, I would try 4H first, 4L second, try to pull "in a straight line" for the force as well as not trying to turn, and I personally would NEVER exert sudden force by starting with slack in the line. Pull up very slowly, tighten the strap or chain you're using, and make sure you're using something on the chain / strap as a damper to keep it from hurting anyone should it break.

You're not a tow truck / recovery vehicle. Do what you can, but stay below your limits so no one gets hurt and no damage is done to either truck.

If your wheels are spinning in 4 hi- they are going to spin in 4 low. Don't waste your time and possible damage switching around between 4 hi and 4 low. All 4 Low does is change the gearing a bit for driving purposes. It won't give you anymore traction.

If your wheels are spinning in 4 hi- they are going to spin in 4 low. Don't waste your time and possible damage switching around between 4 hi and 4 low. All 4 Low does is change the gearing a bit for driving purposes. It won't give you anymore traction.

It's true that it won't give more traction. But it WILL change the "curve" of how much power goes to the wheels as you press the accelerator. So, even when 4H slips quickly, there are times when 4L will hold the traction just a little longer before breaking free. Additionally, 4L will allow you to have better control to "keep some pressure" on the tow line -before- the traction breaks.

If you spin and spin and spin the wheels in 4H, you're making ice and nothing is going to help you except moving to a new spot.

just remember as your being mister good samaritan ruuning around town pulling people out someone can sue you if you damage their car, and worse your taking food out of some legit towing operators kids mouth.

You guys are funny... that guy said "stealing" food from the mouth of a tow truck driver... who rapes you for a few bucks per mile AND a hook up fee...when your ass is in the wind for a vehicle failure.

I'll happily help someone that spun so they can continue to afford to put food in their own families mouth.

and I personally would NEVER exert sudden force by starting with slack in the line. Pull up very slowly, tighten the strap or chain you're using, and make sure you're using something on the chain / strap as a damper to keep it from hurting anyone should it break.

This is true if you are using a TOW strap or chain. Snatch straps, however, are made for jerking for a rubber band effect as it's more effective for getting a vehicle unstuck. I use a similar device for snowmobiling, a Sno-bunje. When using a snatch strap on a vehicle, it's critical to use rated components that attach it to the tug vehicle, such as rated D-rings and pins made specifically for pulling stuck vehicles and the like.

You mean the tow truck drivers kids? $150 is $150 and to pull back on the road it's robbery.

That $150 is welcome is some states. Like Utah or Wyoming if you spin out and end up in the ditch you could wind up with a reckless driving ticket. Or in Wyoming it's an unsafe driving for conditions and failure to maintain lane. And both are not cheap tickets.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Archived