Why do you chose GM?

Doug Rosewood

For me it was because out of the 3, GM's trucks looked the best, had the best reliability, and were not boring.

Same. I do generally tend to lean towards GM vehicles, but I'm not 100% brand loyal either. I strongly considered an F150 when I got my current truck, but for the price, the interior of GM far surpassed the lower model interior aesthetics of the F150. Interior is a large buying factor for me, as that's the part of the vehicle that is seen most by me. Nice exterior aesthetics is definitely a plus though.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came over because I got tired of the 2500 Dodge steering/suspension issues and wanted to get away from that...

The last Dodge truck had just shy of 300k miles, and the biggest issue I had was the ball joints and steering. Otherwise, all the other issues were "self inflicted".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Another thing that swayed me towards GM was the fact that the Sheriff's Department I worked for (not as as a Law Enforcement Officer) used GM/Chevy. 87-96 Caprice for patrol, they did try several of the Clown Vics from 1990-1994 but they never held up as well as the Caprice. (they did go with a number of Clown Vics from 2002 till 2011) They also used K5 Blazers from 1987 till the last of the 2-doors in 1994, then switched to the Tahoes. They used Suburbans and full sized Vans for jail use (they did use the Ford 350 Econolines until 1992 then switched over to Chevy) And the unmarked cars for admin and investigations and other non-patrol use were all GM products. My first official car that my dad gave to me was a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. 3.1L Series III V6. I LOVED that car. It was a company car that he purchased from his company, had about 76,000 miles when I got it. I drove it up to about 140,000 miles and sold it when it started having random issues with OD not engaging.

Looked similar to this, only it was forest green.

1994_pontiac_grand_prix_4_dr_se_sedan-pi

Aside from growing up in a 99% gm vehicle family, i had a 91 s-10 tahoe i bought for 400 bucks as a teenager..it looked like it went through hell and back, yes it had issues(rear drums were inop+severe rot on the body) but my god the thing never left me stranded. the odometer quit working at 450k miles and when i traded it in it, it leaked a little oil, burnt some, and only one door would open but it still had heat and drove(plus 4x4 still worked)..my 04 was pretty stout too, it had issues also but nothing that ever left me walking, and that drivetrain ran like clock work, i ended up letting it go at 150K because the front end was shot including the rack, and i had the urge to buy a new one for the first time in my life..alot of memorys in that old 04

• 2 weeks later...

Grown up in a mostly GM family but our luck with Ford as of recent has been pretty bad. Dad has had a sierra or silverado most of my life. We farm, the trucks get worked pretty hard. GM has always lasted. I will say we had a single cab F250 diesel that is in a junk yard right now at the shop but i'd be willing to be he could get it to run. Thing had 500,000+ on it, became the workers truck and went to hell in a hand basket. Same thing for the early 2000s F150 my dad got from my Grandad, truck was a workhorse and when he moved back to a 3/4 ton Chevy, the ford took a beating due to labor driving it. Those two have been golden to be fair, much like all of dad's GM truck. However the last Ford we bought was a 2010 F250 and it has been an utter POS. He has sunk so much money into it for repairs it's unreal. He still has his 2005 2500HD that he adores and just wont let go. 240,000 and going.

For me it's always been ride and aesthetics. I didn't get into trucks as a hobby per say until recent but i've always preferred GM over Ford. I also really hate Ford's deliberate push for EcoBoost. We get it, you love that engine, does't mean you have to throw it in everything with wheels. Still don't understand why it's in the raptor. I guess to sell the engine? "It's so good we put it in our premier semi-custom race truck."

Realistic Potential. Plain and simple. My first (and current GM) is a gmt800 denali. I love it so much I'm planning on buying 2 gmt900s at the same time

1) 08' RCSB 4x4 (must be GMC, you'll see why)

2) gmt900 denali/escalade rollover/salvage

Laugh all you want but I shall call her pSYCLONE.

Like I said, I currently own a gmt800 denali and I was 1 click away from a mint 2005 rcsb for my pSYCLONE build but, somethin bout dat 6.2l....mmmmmmhmmmm....awd....... lightweight 17x10s all the way around....boost....oh my.

My dad was a Ford guy and I drove a a bunch of Ford trucks over the years but when I saw how the GM trucks held up under construction work I was impressed so I tried one about 15 years ago and now I get a new one every couple of years cuz I like them. I will still stroll through a Ford lot but last time I was out there (last weekend) the door metal flopped in and out when closing the door with mirror shaking like it was going to fall off and it just sounded like a cheapo tin can truck when you slammed the door. I really do not think the Ford compares to the solidness of a GM Truck. I know they have a lot of bells and whistles and I may try another next time (doubt it) if they fix the door panels LOL

My dad was a Ford guy and I drove a a bunch of Ford trucks over the years but when I saw how the GM trucks held up under construction work I was impressed so I tried one about 15 years ago and now I get a new one every couple of years cuz I like them. I will still stroll through a Ford lot but last time I was out there (last weekend) the door metal flopped in and out when closing the door with mirror shaking like it was going to fall off and it just sounded like a cheapo tin can truck when you slammed the door. I really do not think the Ford compares to the solidness of a GM Truck. I know they have a lot of bells and whistles and I may try another next time (doubt it) if they fix the door panels LOL

I was ridiculed for saying that on these forums too! All I did was stop at the Ford lot got out and played with the door. Said, "you have got to be kidding" compared to the door on my brand new GMC and not one sales person came over to great me? I drove away thinking my door is seriously thin compared to previous GM trucks but the FERD door was all I needed to see and feel! What a joke! And a 3.5 EB to boot..........ha,ha your kidding me right only 20-25 year old boys buying that crap!

It's been nothing but GM in my immediate family for about 80 years. Grandfather, dad, my brothers and I have owned nothing but GM. Grandfather had misc. Chevy pickups and cars but was fond of the Buick Park Avenues, Dad is Chevy pickup and Caprice Classic to Monte Carlo guy, brother is Chevy pickup and misc. Pontiacs. I had a few Camaros, a Trans Am and now GMC pickups. A few cousins and one uncle have jumped ship but overall whole family has been fairly loyal. Heck my cousin is a mechanic at a Ford-Dodge dealership but drives nothing but GM!

Overall GM just makes a great product, have seen no reason to change.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's always been ride and aesthetics. I didn't get into trucks as a hobby per say until recent but i've always preferred GM over Ford. I also really hate Ford's deliberate push for EcoBoost. We get it, you love that engine, does't mean you have to throw it in everything with wheels. Still don't understand why it's in the raptor. I guess to sell the engine? "It's so good we put it in our premier semi-custom race truck."

Same here. Cool, we get it, yay turbo V6. My 6.2 will run circles around it :D They shoulda put their 5.2 in the GT, not a damn TT V6

I wouldn't own one but you got to be impressed with the mid sized cars and SUVs performance with turbo V6 in them. Still waiting to see the long term reliability with them. Just like I wonder about all the cylinder deactivation stuff that goes on with the V8 long term. I think the days of 250-300K miles on both may be over without major engine work.

anyone notice the cost of parts is cheap?

ford and dodge do good too..

but I am reminded every time I need something.

I took in a foreign tin can 20 years ago. Absolute nightmare.

Even if my truck stayed at 8mpg (actual is low 20s mpg on a v8)..just the damn longevity over ruled the cost comparison to the 1.8 liter ricer pile I keep going.

the American trucks is no drama.

I just did calipers and pads for less than 60 bucks.

they aren't exactly lightweight wimpy items.

Love this stuff.

I looked at F150, Navigators...didn't like that you had to order the V8. Always had GM products anyway, but was willing to at least window shop. I don't like the idea of turbos. Maybe because growing up, any gas vehicle with a turbo always had issues and that mindset stuck with me.

Archived