Camper shell...??

The 100XQ honestly I don't think you should do for a truck that sees off-road use. That big tempered window is opened by putting a twist pressure on the bottom rear corner. Pressure is bad on glass and if you blow it out its over $600 to replace.

Look at the 100XL. Very similar, slightly different side window, and $400 cheaper.Yeah, mfg could list MSRP, that'd be a good start.This is why a 5 minute phone call to a prominent local dealer is more effective and walking into the store can't be beat.

But still, when I get an email there are comments and if someone notes other models in there they're interested in, I'll list them out.

its easy for you to say 5 mins, because to you, its 5 mins...how do we as consumers know? especially in an area that has a handful of dealers...that 5 mins, can easily turn into 10...and driving all across town to see all of the dealers...its a pain. a real pain. that why it would be nice to be able to get the MSPR, and a full list of dealers, so as consumers we can do the weed out process...if i were you, as a leer dealer, i would be concerned that leer isnt giving YOUR info when someone asks for a quote. make sense?

I've tried to do my research before posting. . . . I've looked at ARE, Snug, Jason, and Leer, and the only one I can get see putting on my truck is the Leer 100XQ. I'm getting ready to get a quote and pull the trigger. Does anyone have any bad experiences with this top? I saw a bad review from a number of years ago, and then someone on this forum said the jury was still out, but I can't find much else. I guess my biggest concern is that I do a fair bit of travel offroad, so I want to make sure the Leer100XQ will be able to stand the abuse I'm going to put it through. Any input is appreciated.

i did quite a bit of research, and would echo what most people have said...i chose a Leer XQ (for the looks)...snugtop had a top that i really liked, but they were more expensive...i dont spend much time off roading, only when its my turn to drive when we go hunting, so cannot speak to that...but i would also agree that having those large windows (as good as they look) might be a liability if you are spending the majority of your time off road... good luck on what direction you go and post some pics when you get it installed!

Edited by spenpet

Follow up on my experience...

They moved the shell forward a bit and it looks MUCH MUCH better. they were able to get the remote lock installed, but they were not able to get the dome light connected to my OEM cargo light switch as i wanted. (they direct wired it to the battery, so the switch controls it whether the truck is on or not)...when they shifted the topper forward either they adjusted or that movement self adjusted enough that there isn't any play in the back window now...they also threw in a tailgate seal for no charge because of the issues. the owner is a really good dude. (oh, and they also removed the white lettering "LEER" from the back...i didn't like that at all with my black truck).

we'll see how it goes when i get some rain or wash it...but i am much happier now than i was when i first got it installed...

i am now trying to figure out how to wire some led string lights and hang them around the top (inside of course)...i am going through some threads here and it seems like there is a plug near the trailer plug that is controlled by that cargo switch? if anyone has any info on that, i would appreciate it.

i did quite a bit of research, and would echo what most people have said...i chose a Leer XQ (for the looks)...snugtop had a top that i really liked, but they were more expensive...i dont spend much time off roading, only when its my turn to drive when we go hunting, so cannot speak to that...but i would also agree that having those large windows (as good as they look) might be a liability if you are spending the majority of your time off road... good luck on what direction you go and post some pics when you get it installed!

Thanks. I guess I don't go off road a whole lot - a couple of times per month, but when I do, I let it rip (fox suspension makes a guy want to drive like an idiot off road!). I could probably change my driving style when I'm off road. I don't have a snug top dealer anywhere close to where I live, so I'm kind of stuck with Leer or ARE. There is one ARE top that I might be able to live with - the Overland series; however, I've heard so many bad things about ARE, that I'm very hesitant to go that route. Thanks again for the input.

Thanks. I guess I don't go off road a whole lot - a couple of times per month, but when I do, I let it rip (fox suspension makes a guy want to drive like an idiot off road!). I could probably change my driving style when I'm off road. I don't have a snug top dealer anywhere close to where I live, so I'm kind of stuck with Leer or ARE. There is one ARE top that I might be able to live with - the Overland series; however, I've heard so many bad things about ARE, that I'm very hesitant to go that route. Thanks again for the input.

not sure if this is an option for you...but these are 'custom' tops...you can get doors installed instead of windows...i haven't had mine long enough to even give you a hint of an idea how durable they are...maybe someone else can chime in on if they have hit some rough terrain and how much abuse they can take...but again, if you like the sleep look, but could deal with a solid opening door, might be something to consider...

Just got a quote for the Leer XQ for $2,795 installed with no other options. The ARE I was looking at was about half that price. I didn't realize Leer was so expensive.

If it was me I would go with the Leer no doubt! It's a decent price sometimes you have to ask the dealer what's the Leer promo's for the month? I want the keyless lock upgrade or led light for free etc. The Leer is a better cap no matter how any ARE dealer wants to tell you otherwise too!

Just got a quote for the Leer XQ for $2,795 installed with no other options. The ARE I was looking at was about half that price. I didn't realize Leer was so expensive.

that is on the high side, but i would agree with mookdoc6, check out there website and see what promo's they are running...also see if there is another dealer within a reasonable distance and get another quote...as we have talked about, shipping is a factor for sure...i paid $2325 (plus tax) that included the remote lock, and removable front window (near the cab for cleaning) which were two promo's going on...no additional for install, that was included in my price...

that is on the high side, but i would agree with mookdoc6, check out there website and see what promo's they are running...also see if there is another dealer within a reasonable distance and get another quote...as we have talked about, shipping is a factor for sure...i paid $2325 (plus tax) that included the remote lock, and removable front window (near the cab for cleaning) which were two promo's going on...no additional for install, that was included in my price...

In my area the ARE Dealer quoted the Z as $2595, firm

Yet the Leer dealer sold me my XQ for $1900 cash w/ remote lock, removable f. glass and roof cargo hooks.

I think the Leer is finished nicer on the outside bottom edge than the ARE

But the ARE fits the cab lines better.........aesthetically

In my area the ARE Dealer quoted the Z as $2595, firm

Yet the Leer dealer sold me my XQ for $1900 cash w/ remote lock, removable f. glass and roof cargo hooks.

I think the Leer is finished nicer on the outside bottom edge than the ARE

But the ARE fits the cab lines better.........aesthetically

similar, the ARE was $3400 when i got a quote...crazy expensive here for some reason...

After looking through this thread and others I've decided to go with a Leer. Looking at 100R and 100XR. I'd like to get it with fhe windoor sliders, front slider and headliner. I called around for quotes today, local place quoted $2137 for 100R and $2300 for the 100XR. The thing is I'm leaving where I'm currently located for work first week of September. I was quoted up to $200 cheaper at other shops where I'm heading. Think there's any chance of the local place price matching? Being able to get it local before I leave would be nice. Trying to get it figured out so I can order to take advantage of tax free weekend.

After looking through this thread and others I've decided to go with a Leer. Looking at 100R and 100XR. I'd like to get it with fhe windoor sliders, front slider and headliner. I called around for quotes today, local place quoted $2137 for 100R and $2300 for the 100XR. The thing is I'm leaving where I'm currently located for work first week of September. I was quoted up to $200 cheaper at other shops where I'm heading. Think there's any chance of the local place price matching? Being able to get it local before I leave would be nice. Trying to get it figured out so I can order to take advantage of tax free weekend.

1) before you go with the XR, compare the hinges of that to the XQ, that was honestly the deciding point for me...or else i would saved a couple hundred on the XR (i think looks wise, they are similar enough)

2) everything is negotiable...just a matter of how much they want to go down...i would certainly use both of the shops as leverage and negotiate between them...it will probably take about a month to get it anyway...so keep that in mind too.

good luck, keep us posted on what you do and pics when you get it!

1) before you go with the XR, compare the hinges of that to the XQ, that was honestly the deciding point for me...or else i would saved a couple hundred on the XR (i think looks wise, they are similar enough)

2) everything is negotiable...just a matter of how much they want to go down...i would certainly use both of the shops as leverage and negotiate between them...it will probably take about a month to get it anyway...so keep that in mind too.

good luck, keep us posted on what you do and pics when you get it!

I would love to go with the XQ but it's a little out of my price range and it doesn't have the windoor option. I'm maxing out my budget on XR with headliner, removable front fixed window and windoors. I was quoted as low as $2100 for that setup. If my local dealer will match I'm going to order it today. Sadly I found out tax free weekend only applies to school supplies. Dumb! School supplies are good but truck parts are gooder

I would love to go with the XQ but it's a little out of my price range and it doesn't have the windoor option. I'm maxing out my budget on XR with headliner, removable front fixed window and windoors. I was quoted as low as $2100 for that setup. If my local dealer will match I'm going to order it today. Sadly I found out tax free weekend only applies to school supplies. Dumb! School supplies are good but truck parts are gooder

Truck parts are the Goodest! Glad your getting the top lined too! It's much quieter that way and the removable window is what you want! LEER nice choice and price I think.....

• Like 1

i definitely understand financial decisions...you might or might not even care, but for me, the hinge was a deciding point. you might be able to ask how much for the upgraded hinges (if you don't know what i am talking about, i think the pics are in this thread) if not, i can find some pics...but again...cash is king and i understand that!

• Like 1