Camper shell...??

I run a Leer and Snugtop dealer store for a living.

A couple things to know:

- No canopy or tonneau will ever be water proof. Mostly water resistant yes.

- Expecting it to be water tight is wildly unrealistic

- Your bed leaks. A top cannot fix that.

- Leer and Snugtop are good 1 piece fiberglass brands. ARE builds multi piece tops and are of a sub par quality.

Respectfully, you haven't seen my specific truck and the specific leaks that I am talking about. I had a tonneau cover and it didn't leak like this. so to say its my bed that's leaking is a bit presumptuous.

I get as a dealer that is a standard line, but there are dozens and hundreds of people that have these tops that it doesn't leak...at all...and if you skimmed through this thread and see the way my top was mounted, as a dealer I would imagine you would agree it wasn't installed 100% properly. (I have an appointment to drop my truck off Monday as the owner agrees with me)

I would also add that one of the leaks is through the handle, that is either repairable or in my opinion a factory defect. That has absolutely nothing to do with my bed.

So although I appreciate your opinion on an open forum, I hardly believe my expectations are wildly unrealistic...

Respectfully, you haven't seen my specific truck and the specific leaks that I am talking about. I had a tonneau cover and it didn't leak like this. so to say its my bed that's leaking is a bit presumptuous.

I get as a dealer that is a standard line, but there are dozens and hundreds of people that have these tops that it doesn't leak...at all...and if you skimmed through this thread and see the way my top was mounted, as a dealer I would imagine you would agree it wasn't installed 100% properly. (I have an appointment to drop my truck off Monday as the owner agrees with me)

I would also add that one of the leaks is through the handle, that is either repairable or in my opinion a factory defect. That has absolutely nothing to do with my bed.

So although I appreciate your opinion on an open forum, I hardly believe my expectations are wildly unrealistic...

I guess I should have specified I wasn't speaking to your specific situation, more general public expectations. Sorry about that.

The world should expect small leaks here and there, it is very normal across 90% of canopies and lids out there.

For yours specifically no, your handle should definitely not be one of those leaks. But, the small leaks in the front corners are one of the hardest areas to get to seal on trucks and one we have to work on constantly with these new trucks with plastic bed sides. And then when we do get them to fully seal the vibration of driving usually causes them to start leaking again in not much time.

Many trucks do get spray in those front corners from the unsealed bed seams or leaky bed plugs at the front of the bed too, things to check.

I guess I should have specified I wasn't speaking to your specific situation, more general public expectations. Sorry about that.

The world should expect small leaks here and there, it is very normal across 90% of canopies and lids out there.

For yours specifically no, your handle should definitely not be one of those leaks. But, the small leaks in the front corners are one of the hardest areas to get to seal on trucks and one we have to work on constantly with these new trucks with plastic bed sides. And then when we do get them to fully seal the vibration of driving usually causes them to start leaking again in not much time.

Many trucks do get spray in those front corners from the unsealed bed seams or leaky bed plugs at the front of the bed too, things to check.

fair enough, and again I appreciate the feedback. Is there anything you can recommend to help with those? is there like a silicon spray or something (that might just back up the water and make it worse)? any tips to help would be appreciated.

fair enough, and again I appreciate the feedback. Is there anything you can recommend to help with those? is there like a silicon spray or something (that might just back up the water and make it worse)? any tips to help would be appreciated.

If water protrudes from the bed at all we've had decent enough luck just using silicone down the seams and around the plug. If you have a spray in bed liner use black rtv so it hides nicely, otherwise just some clear all purpose stuff works.

On top of the bed we build up a kind of small ramp from the metal bulkhead up to the plastic bed caps with clear silicone.

If the canopy doesnt have the neoprene rubber style double bulb seal on it, get it. Also if it already has it, canopy mfg often position it wrong and it doesnt make good contact on the bed front bulkhead. If it doesn't, gently peel it off of the front and use some all purpose spray adhesive to stick it back down in the right spot.

As for the handle, just ordering a new one is likely.

Also, always lift and move the canopy, never slide it.

Edited by JRoyPDX

Chimming in from fellow Leer owner..

Before I got topper installed, did the under-truck-light-test to see what seams or areas leaked light...

Basically,, if it leaks light,, water will come up from road through cracks into bed...

While under truck,, found seams between front of box and bed with light to include 3, 3/8" holes in bed..

Filled all affected areas with black heavy duty trim seal..

I do have very minor water leak from under gate even with aftermarket rubber seals,, but its no problem...

Topper has zero leaks..

Hope this helps..

Cheers---K

• Like 3

I run a Leer and Snugtop dealer store for a living.

A couple things for the general public to be aware of:

- No canopy or tonneau will ever be water proof. Mostly water resistant yes.

- Expecting it to be 100% water tight is not realistic, especially with the way modern trucks are built. After thousands of trucks rolling through our shop I'll stand by this absolutely.

- Your bed probably has spots where water can come through. A top cannot fix that and you may have to do some sealing of your bed.

- Leer and Snugtop are good 1 piece fiberglass brands. ARE builds multi piece tops and are of a sub par quality.

Interesting, first time I've seen a canopy dealer on a forum (even in an unrelated, unofficial capacity like this). Any chance you can shed some light on the crazy variances in pricing between dealers? I don't buy the common line that it's completely because of freight distances to the dealer - prices vary way more than freight costs. And the add-ons can vary as widely as 90-250 for things like e-locks and dome lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, first time I've seen a canopy dealer on a forum (even in an unrelated, unofficial capacity like this). Any chance you can shed some light on the crazy variances in pricing between dealers? I don't buy the common line that it's completely because of freight distances to the dealer - prices vary way more than freight costs. And the add-ons can vary as widely as 90-250 for things like e-locks and dome lights.

Simply put, dealers set their own pricing and canopy costs are different for some dealers based on the volume they do.

I dont encounter price variances that extreme in my area...

Yeah, I get they set their own pricing and there's certainly some variances in volume deals. But when I see folks post about $1900 installed Leer 100XQ (with most of the add-one) and know that all the quotes I got from all over Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona were more in the 2400-3300 pre-tax range, I can't imagine it's just volume discounts and freight costs.

I really can't figure out why some dealers (especially close to larger metros) haven't started posting their prices online and making it less of a PITA for people to buy a canopy from them. Instead, it's a circus of calling/emailing/online form submissions to get prices of everyone in the area and waiting for them to get back to you.

• Like 2

If they're low priced like that its probably aged inventory that the dealer was eager to unload so they got a deal on it. It might be pretty unlikely that you're gonna get the same deal.

Prices don't get put up online because there are too many options. I can make a $1600 canopy cost $3500 with options. Multiply that by the number of configurations, trucks, models, etc and it becomes very difficult to simplify. While you probably know everything about your truck, the vast majority have no clue what they have. Add that into the mix and yeah, not a smart business decision.

We can get you pricing in a 5 minute phone call or emails are answered within 1 business day. Or just walk into a store. We make strong efforts to get you quick, clear answers. If you are working with a dealer that doesn't you might consider not working with them.

Edited by JRoyPDX

Use a dealer that is Authorized to sell the LEER products and installations. Same with Snugtops! Use the Dealer who does huge inventory and there is an older dude and not some kid like a 20year old who does the installs and wiring etc!

They are getting complicated with lights, locks and seemingly add on/options galore.

LOVE TOPPERS!

Yeah, I get they set their own pricing and there's certainly some variances in volume deals. But when I see folks post about $1900 installed Leer 100XQ (with most of the add-one) and know that all the quotes I got from all over Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona were more in the 2400-3300 pre-tax range, I can't imagine it's just volume discounts and freight costs.

I really can't figure out why some dealers (especially close to larger metros) haven't started posting their prices online and making it less of a PITA for people to buy a canopy from them. Instead, it's a circus of calling/emailing/online form submissions to get prices of everyone in the area and waiting for them to get back to you.

yes, 100% I just went through this...to make this process even more difficult, when you go to Leer website, they only give you a few options to choose from, and you have to request multiple quotes...it took me about 3 days of back and forth from leer to give me a reasonable list that was in my area...its like they want to control who you get the top from...as a dealer i would be concerned about that

If they're low priced like that its probably aged inventory that the dealer was eager to unload so they got a deal on it. It might be pretty unlikely that you're gonna get the same deal.

Prices don't get put up online because there are too many options. I can make a $1600 canopy cost $3500 with options. Multiply that by the number of configurations, trucks, models, etc and it becomes very difficult to simplify. While you probably know everything about your truck, the vast majority have no clue what they have. Add that into the mix and yeah, not a smart business decision.

We can get you pricing in a 5 minute phone call or emails are answered within 1 business day. Or just walk into a store. We make strong efforts to get you quick, clear answers. If you are working with a dealer that doesn't you might consider not working with them.

when you buy a vehicle they seem to be able to list pricing, and i can assure you that there are more options on trucks than campers...dealer could absolutely list their prices and each option out separately...

part of my issues is that i had NO clue what each option costs...so i didnt even get a quote on some things because i didnt want to deal with it...if i knew a topper rack was another $xxx (just ball park) i could at least have a number to consider....

i will give the dealers only a slight pass in that leer should publish MSRP...and sure dealers can charge what they want...so consumers can at least know the max amount of each option.

I've tried to do my research before posting. . . . I've looked at ARE, Snug, Jason, and Leer, and the only one I can get see putting on my truck is the Leer 100XQ. I'm getting ready to get a quote and pull the trigger. Does anyone have any bad experiences with this top? I saw a bad review from a number of years ago, and then someone on this forum said the jury was still out, but I can't find much else. I guess my biggest concern is that I do a fair bit of travel offroad, so I want to make sure the Leer100XQ will be able to stand the abuse I'm going to put it through. Any input is appreciated.

I've tried to do my research before posting. . . . I've looked at ARE, Snug, Jason, and Leer, and the only one I can get see putting on my truck is the Leer 100XQ. I'm getting ready to get a quote and pull the trigger. Does anyone have any bad experiences with this top? I saw a bad review from a number of years ago, and then someone on this forum said the jury was still out, but I can't find much else. I guess my biggest concern is that I do a fair bit of travel offroad, so I want to make sure the Leer100XQ will be able to stand the abuse I'm going to put it through. Any input is appreciated.

The 100XQ honestly I don't think you should do for a truck that sees off-road use. That big tempered window is opened by putting a twist pressure on the bottom rear corner. Pressure is bad on glass and if you blow it out its over $600 to replace.

Look at the 100XL. Very similar, slightly different side window, and $400 cheaper.

when you buy a vehicle they seem to be able to list pricing, and i can assure you that there are more options on trucks than campers...dealer could absolutely list their prices and each option out separately...

part of my issues is that i had NO clue what each option costs...so i didnt even get a quote on some things because i didnt want to deal with it...if i knew a topper rack was another $xxx (just ball park) i could at least have a number to consider....

i will give the dealers only a slight pass in that leer should publish MSRP...and sure dealers can charge what they want...so consumers can at least know the max amount of each option.

Yeah, mfg could list MSRP, that'd be a good start.

yes, 100% I just went through this...to make this process even more difficult, when you go to Leer website, they only give you a few options to choose from, and you have to request multiple quotes...it took me about 3 days of back and forth from leer to give me a reasonable list that was in my area...its like they want to control who you get the top from...as a dealer i would be concerned about that

This is why a 5 minute phone call to a prominent local dealer is more effective and walking into the store can't be beat.

But still, when I get an email there are comments and if someone notes other models in there they're interested in, I'll list them out.

If your going to put abuse to it than the only two are Snugtop, Leer for you......Snugtop first and it will be the last for the truck and Leer will hold up very well too.

But hammer time and basically redneck, hillbilly driving and driving like no topper is even on the back...BUY A SNUGTOP!