Odd but bad issue snow driving

I don't do much of that up in Alaska. Most of my driving is dirt roads and some short highway trips but it's not ever sloppy snow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Temperature has a lot to do with it also, we get a lot of wet snow around, which builds up on the nose (actually had it bad enough a truck overheated once). Plus anything thrown up by the trucks in front of you from the road. A dry snow and really cold vehicle isn't going to be nearly as bad.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Temperature has a lot to do with it also, we get a lot of wet snow around, which builds up on the nose (actually had it bad enough a truck overheated once). Plus anything thrown up by the trucks in front of you from the road. A dry snow and really cold vehicle isn't going to be nearly as bad.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Not much wet snow and cold yes. Last year it got to -60f

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On 12/10/2017 at 11:49 AM, redwngr said:

Given the right conditions of ambient temp and amount and dampness of the snowfall this can happen with the old, hot sealed beams as well.

Been there, done that. (yes, a long time ago....)

One of things to be prepared for when driving in winter conditions.

Colder temps and drier snow, not so much an issue.

Wasn't my experience with old GM four sealed beam systems like my '60 Impala which ran hotter than the contemporary two beam systems. . Been through many a Northeaster blizzard and you could see the steam curling from the 2 outer lamps.

We've advanced from 99 cent (79 cents on sale) sealed beams that were of some use in snow conditions to $500+ pods containing $200+ LED/HIDs that are useless under the same conditions.

2 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Wasn't my experience with old GM four sealed beam systems like my '60 Impala which ran hotter than the contemporary two beam systems. . Been through many a Northeaster blizzard and you could see the steam curling from the 2 outer lamps.

We've advanced from 99 cent (79 cents on sale) sealed beams that were of some use in snow conditions to $500+ pods containing $200+ LED/HIDs that are useless under the same conditions.

I've had that happen too.  Sometimes was steam curing off and the light still mostly covered , sometimes nearly melted off....

Just depends on the type of snow, temp, wind direction, how hard it's snowing, etc etc etc...

(but I do agree the automakers should be embarrassed about the lights they are installing, and the politicians and regulators should be embarrassed about making the changes that permitted it.)

Archived