2011 1500 Silverado - Driver side AC Hot/Cold issue

g_speran

Question

After replacement of a dead battery, the driver side AC circulates between Warm, cool,  and Cold approx every 90 seconds while the passenger side works properly. Based upon research, it seems that this is a common issue and that fixes may be to 1) initiate a re-calibration using a scan tool 2) perform some steps that require removing a fuse, adjusting the temp, shutting the truck off, etc.  I've done each of the recommended procedures, however I am still experiencing the same issue.

We also tested the Ac unit for leaks by draining the Freon, measuring the capacity, then replacing it back into the system. The Freon level was at proper lbs therefore proving no leaks in the AC system.

Any idea's of what may need to be replaced to resolved this issue or other steps to try to rectify the issue?

2 answers to this question

Something that will save you money in the future, if the a/c is blowing cold air out of any vent, but not out of another vent, it cannot be an issue of not enough refrigerant in the system.  The a/c circuit has no idea what vent it is coming out of.  As long as it is cold at the evaporator it will be good to go.  When troubleshooting avoid spending money first.  As jsdirt suggested, try disconnecting battery, go get a coffee, then reconnect the battery.  Remember to disconnect negative/ground cable on battery to avoid having the wrench slipping and becoming a new fender brace. 

I'd disconnect the battery again, wait a half hour, and try again. When connecting, try to make the connection fast, without any arcing.

Sometimes this will get the stupid out of the computers.

Archived