Needing Possible Wiring Help

'89 Cold Shot

Question

Good morning.

I am needing help asap.

I have an 89 K5 Blazer that I cannot get running.

History:

First bought after some one spun a rod completely through the oil pan.

I know the motor was bad, so I wasnt worried too much about tearing it up. I tried to start to see if everything else worked. i.e. starter, alternator, fuel pump, etc.

Everything worked. So I immediately shut her down.

I bought a replacement 350 from a running 94 Chevy 4x4 Pickup

I put all wiring back in place as they were before. Replaced all fuses, spark plugs/wiring, rotor cap and button, etc.

Now I have no headlights, slow turn over, wont start. 

I have removed the fuel line from motor, turned the key and NO GAS.

I checked the fuel pump relay and its good, checked the fuse panel and its good.

I know it is a long shot but wth do I look for?
I am a mom and this is my only vehicle and need to get it running asap.

By the way, At some point some dipstick turned it into a push start. Turn the key then push the button. 

I need help asap

8 answers to this question

TBI (throttle body injection) engine?

On those, the fuel pump will not stay running if it does not receive a good oil pressure signal from the sensor on the back of the engine block (to the drivers side of the distributor, if I remember correctly). Safety feature.

That's entirely possible, but if it ran before with the push button, then I doubt that is an issue. If it hasn't ran since the pushbutton was installed, then that is definitely suspect.

2 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

TBI (throttle body injection) engine?

On those, the fuel pump will not stay running if it does not receive a good oil pressure signal from the sensor on the back of the engine block (to the drivers side of the distributor, if I remember correctly). Safety feature.

Yes it is sorry.

I just thought maybe was a wiring issue due to the push start.

Now if that is good. Then what else would I need to look for?

Just now, Jsdirt said:

That's entirely possible, but if it ran before with the push button, then I doubt that is an issue. If it hasn't ran since the pushbutton was installed, then that is definitely suspect.

Gotcha.

I am just not very good with electrical.

I work on the body of the vehicle and the interior

I would grab a test light - MAKE SURE it has a GOOD GROUND - and check the power at the pump. Don't even have to disconnect the connector - stick a T-pin in the back side of the connector, just to get a spot to touch the test light to. When the key is first turned on, the pump should run for 2-3 seconds, then stop ... so the light should light for a few seconds, then go out.

If you test it while it's plugged in, and the light lights but there's no pump sound, then you might have a dead fuel pump.

6 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

I would grab a test light - MAKE SURE it has a GOOD GROUND - and check the power at the pump. Don't even have to disconnect the connector - stick a T-pin in the back side of the connector, just to get a spot to touch the test light to. When the key is first turned on, the pump should run for 2-3 seconds, then stop ... so the light should light for a few seconds, then go out.

If you test it while it's plugged in, and the light lights but there's no pump sound, then you might have a dead fuel pump.

Ok I will try that. Thank you !

Many, many years ago I helped a buddy swap the engine in his Omni.  When he went to start it, it cranked slow but did start and run.  It had all kinds of strange things happening and once hot, cooling fan wouldn't work, wasn't charging, all lights were dim, etc.  After a while we found the issue.  He left the negative battery lead disconnected from the engine.  The only ground connection the car had was the 12 gauge wire from battery to the body.  

Long story to suggest you make sure all ground connections from the battery are connected, and tight to the engine, body, and chassis.  Also verify all fuses are good. 

Archived