110V Power outlet

Very disappointed... this is a truck... 150 watts is useless... I really fail to understand how the designers could sit around a conference room table and think adding this feature to a truck was a good idea.Might be good for a small car but not a truck! Give us 15amps at 120volts  or go away. Just dumb. 

1 hour ago, Don Ariola said:

Very disappointed... this is a truck... 150 watts is useless... I really fail to understand how the designers could sit around a conference room table and think adding this feature to a truck was a good idea.Might be good for a small car but not a truck! Give us 15amps at 120volts  or go away. Just dumb. 

Because it's something that at least a few people could and do use (150W outlet).

Your 15A/120VAC outlet basically requires the plow package upgrade, as would require AT LEAST 150A (more due to losses converting DC to AC).  And using it, you either get a dead battery pretty quickly, or you need the truck running AND the motor revved up so the alternators are working at close to their maximum output.

That costs a bundle of money to put in every truck, when the majority of people will make do with the low power outlet.

• 2 weeks later...

I use mine to on my air mattress pump when I go camping. I also use it to charge my Milwaukee power tool batteries and my laptop.

I have never had it not work for me. But then again, I am a reasonable person. The people that expect this to work like a job site generator are crazy.

I occasionally use the outlet to charge the battery for my RC crawler while I'm driving.  If the truck is parked, I connect the AC/DC charger directly to the battery, since the outlet turns off when the key is out.  I'm only charging at 5A, and around 8V.

47926877338_8d5086a1f6_c.jpgIMG_2690_edited by Ryan Jakob, on Flickr

• Like 2

On 7/4/2019 at 2:08 PM, rkj__ said:

If the truck is parked, I connect the AC/DC charger directly to the battery, since the outlet turns off when the key is out. 

You can change it so the outlet stays hot all the time.  You need to move a fuse from one position to another (I think it's from space 10 to space 11).  Check your manual or search these forums for instructions.  I did it to mine years ago and use the outlet all the time now.

20 hours ago, sk said:

You can change it so the outlet stays hot all the time.  You need to move a fuse from one position to another (I think it's from space 10 to space 11).  Check your manual or search these forums for instructions.  I did it to mine years ago and use the outlet all the time now.

Good to know, thanks.

I'll still continue to connect direct to the battery when not driving the truck though, for a couple reasons.  First, it's more efficient.  There is no need to convert DC to AC, then back to DC.  Second, I don't like to leave a LiPo battery charging out of sight.  While I consider the risk to be very low, it's not hard to find a few tales of batteries bursting into flames when charging. 

• 4 months later...

Well a little math and it looks like  1.3 amps on 115 volts and I assume thats continuous  rated so you might get a little more out for a short time.  Certainly not enough for a crock pot, your table saw or microwave. 

I am assuming there is an inverter someplace that could be upgraded to perhaps 500 watts. But your going to draw a lot of 12 vdc amps to do 42 or so and thats not figuring in the loss in the inverter which could add  20%, just guessing. 

Edited by wmgeorge64

• 8 months later...

on my 2016 I just used it to bower a craftsman 1/4 sheet palm sander, when first plugged in it worked for a second or so that failed. unplugged it waited a couple of minutes truck running, plugged it back in with the green light on bright and it worked long enough to complete the sanding job, That too about 30 minutes.

I've charged every electronic device imaginable with mine. I also plug my Ryobi 18 volt six pack charger into it from time to time. I also regularly run my electric shaver from it with no issue(other than ground up whiskers in my perforated seats).

I sold a table saw to a guy a few years ago(3 HP). I met him in the parking lot at the local grocery store. He pulled out a 100 foot long extension cord and plugged it into the dash. I told him it wouldn't work but he tried anyway. He insisted the saw was bad until I plugged my electric razor into his truck and it worked. I was a bit baffled myself because I though he blew a fuse. Apparently there is some sort of electronic protection in there.

On 8/11/2020 at 1:26 PM, Cheverado said:

I've charged every electronic device imaginable with mine. I also plug my Ryobi 18 volt six pack charger into it from time to time. I also regularly run my electric shaver from it with no issue(other than ground up whiskers in my perforated seats).

I sold a table saw to a guy a few years ago(3 HP). I met him in the parking lot at the local grocery store. He pulled out a 100 foot long extension cord and plugged it into the dash. I told him it wouldn't work but he tried anyway. He insisted the saw was bad until I plugged my electric razor into his truck and it worked. I was a bit baffled myself because I though he blew a fuse. Apparently there is some sort of electronic protection in there.

There's definitely some protection in there, I'm no electrician so i can't explain what kind lol.  After running a blow up air mattress and a jig saw on mine I brought a coffee maker to the camp site.  Was real sad when I had to pay for coffee at the general store, but didn't blow a fuse after trying the coffee pot 3 or 4 times ?

• 1 month later...

I have plugged in a small compressor to this outlet and it didn’t have enough power to run the pump. Pump just made a weird noise and I unplugged it. I am now getting a sluggish start when it cranks over and a couple times now the battery acts as if it’s dead and won’t start the truck, needs jumped. I have had the battery tested (it’s a high output gel battery) and it still tests fine. Could it be a relay that is bad draining the battery when it’s parked? And if so where would it be located? I would think the inverter has to have a relay or module somewhere.