Hey guys, I have a 2007 GMC Sierra, basically completely stock besides the throttle body spacer I’ve thrown on. I picked up a superchips flash paq and I wanted to run the performance mod on it to see what it could do. Before I bought it I just recently stopped running 91 octane gas cause it was basically a waste of money for a stock truck, I was just using it to keep the engine clean since it was a well maintained truck. Before installing the mod it says that it needs 91 to run properly. So I was just wondering, before I waste the extra money in premium gas again, do I actually need the high octane gas for this mod or does it still work without it and if so will it cause any problems over time? Thanks in advance guys.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 4:41 PM, Jess Payn said:

Hey guys, I have a 2007 GMC Sierra, basically completely stock besides the throttle body spacer I’ve thrown on. I picked up a superchips flash paq and I wanted to run the performance mod on it to see what it could do. Before I bought it I just recently stopped running 91 octane gas cause it was basically a waste of money for a stock truck, I was just using it to keep the engine clean since it was a well maintained truck. Before installing the mod it says that it needs 91 to run properly. So I was just wondering, before I waste the extra money in premium gas again, do I actually need the high octane gas for this mod or does it still work without it and if so will it cause any problems over time? Thanks in advance guys.

Yes you do if you run that tune, it'll ping or knock it you dont

On 4/5/2018 at 1:41 PM, Jess Payn said:

You can try lower octane and see how it runs. Your knock sensor will detect any knock and retard timing to prevent further knocking. Retarding timing is pulling power from your engine. 

If you notice less power or less mileage on lower octane then you have a reason to run premium. 

I live at high elevation and run my black bear tuned 1997 vortec 5.7 on 87 octane constantly. Runs just fine. Even when towing or low elevation I run 87. 

‘Now my 2018 6.2 recommends premium but I run 87 at my high elevation. When I go to lower elevation I put in premium and do notice a bit more power and increased mileage which washes out the premium fuel markup. 

It costs more money to run the cheap gas.  You lose mileage and of course, the detergents that keep the fuel system clean.  You didn't say which engine you have, if it is FlexFuel capable, run that and save even more $$ and get even better engine performance.  The motors love it.

Archived