2015-2018 Bulb Guide/Tutorials - Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Yukon XL

Putting together a little Light guide similar to what MotoMedic did for the Silverados. More details to come on this with swaps and some photos (Scroll down a few posts). 
(Yukon and Yukon XL Only Low, High, fog, license and back-up apply as GMC has more OEM LED handling the others). Some of these may apply 
to 2014 model year but the bulb size is different like the 2014 Yukons.

Tutorial videos (Courtesy of CarCareKiosk and some random dude on YouTube) reflect as:
* Chevrolet
** GMC

Side Note: OEM HID Color is approximately 4200-4300K. LuciasMaximus and I are playing around with color matching the factory LED DRL.
The factory LED DRL appears to be between 5500K-6000K color wise. 

Suburban*/Tahoe*/Yukon**/Yukon XL**:

Low Beam Lights w/HID*,** - D3S

Low Beam Lights*,** - H11 (H11-55W)

Replace Low Beam Bulb Tutorial *

Replace Low Beam Bulb Tutorial **

High Beam Lights*,** - 9005 (HB3)

Replace High Beam Bulb Tutorial *

Replace High Beam Bulb Tutorial **

Front turn signal* - 7440NA

Replace Front Turn Signal Bulb Tutorial *

Fog Lights*,** - PSX26W - (12278 / 12278C1 / H28W)

Back-up Lights / Reverse Lights*,** - 921 (921W / W16W)

License Plate Lights*,** - 194 (194W / 12961)
(Starts at 0:30)

Rear Turn/Stop Lights* - 7440 (7440W)
Edited by rxnotec
Text edit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple of solid videos for comparison of OEM vs different HID OEM quality bulbs:

Philips Bulb Shootout (Not D3S bulbs but still educational)

Osrams Bulb Shootout (Not D3S bulbs but still educational)

Kelvin Color Information

I realize these are all videos from TRS but they have some solid videos that help a lot of first timers understand lighting. I am not in anyway affiliated with TRS in case that topic comes up. I was a customer in the past however.

PHILIPS Ultinon 6K D3S 35W with OEM Ballast First fire and testing on 2018 Suburban RST Premier

The color match to the OEM DRL LED strip is incredible. Even looks more accurate in person.

TAW PHILIPS ULTINON D3S HID 6K LB.jpg

On the white garage door.

TAW PHILIPS ULTINON D3S HID 6K LB WHITE DOOR.jpg

On the white garage door with OEM fogs for color comparison

TAW PHILIPS D3S HID 6K LB WHITE DOOR - OEM FOG.jpg

POV from driver seat down the road. No fogs lights on. Just Low Beams.

TAW PHILIPS ULTINON D3S HID 6K LB POV ROAD.jpg

Edited by rxnotec

PHILIPS ultinon 6K LED License Plate ( 194 ) and Reverse/Back-up LED ( 921 ) on 2018 Suburbans.

PHILIPS ULTINON LED 6K.jpg

Photos taken at great angle to show how clean white the 921 is. They are very bright. Can add some flash/POV shots if needed.

PHILIPS ULTINON LED 6K 921 Left.jpg

PHILIPS ULTINON LED 6K 921 Right.jpg

Edited by rxnotec

Xtreme LED pro 5K Low Beam ( H11 ) and Xtreme LED cmb 5K ( PSX26W ) first fire on a 2018 Suburban RST LT

LTO LED 5K LB.jpg

On white door low beam and fogs on.

LTO LED 5K LB - FOG White door.jpg

Fog light housing lit up

LTO LED 5K FOG.jpg

Inside garage after actual first fire of fogs

LTO LED 5K LB-FOG.jpg

Edited by rxnotec

Yellow LED Fog light bulbs 2018 Suburban RST Premier with comparison to OEM Halogen fog.

Future thought is to consider doing a dual LED Cube set-up to utilize white Fog or Yellow fog or both at same time. Have to do some digging on it.

Yellow LED fog first fire

IMG_20180424_205016069_LL.jpg

Yellow LED Fog on white door

Yellow LED fog on white door.jpg

Yellow LED fog only at dusk.

LED Fog only.jpg

Yellow LED fog with Ultinon 6K Hid D3S Low beam

6K HID Ultinon and Yellow LED Fog.jpg

Comparison of fill and scatter of Ultinon 6K HID with OEM fog to w/Yellow LED fog

Comparison OEM v yellow led fog.jpg

Edited by rxnotec
text update

• 5 weeks later...

So far I've replaced:

rear turn signals/brake lights with 80w red (https://hidkitpros.com/shop/lumawerx-7440-7443-led-bulb-lw80-cree/)

reverse lights (amazon sourced)

license plate bulbs (originally amazon source, one died, now: https://hidkitpros.com/shop/1995-2017-chevrolet-suburban-led-license-plate-lights/)

front fogs: moritmoto (https://hidkitpros.com/shop/chevrolet-square-morimoto-xb-led-fogs/)

The fogs were a total pain to replace but have great side-to-side coverage and 5500k. Rear brake/turn are super bright and responsive. 

Still need to change out the front HID to 6500k, the high beams to LED and the front turn signals to LED.

On 5/29/2018 at 7:25 PM, markitzero said:

So far I've replaced:

rear turn signals/brake lights with 80w red (https://hidkitpros.com/shop/lumawerx-7440-7443-led-bulb-lw80-cree/)

reverse lights (amazon sourced)

license plate bulbs (originally amazon source, one died, now: https://hidkitpros.com/shop/1995-2017-chevrolet-suburban-led-license-plate-lights/)

front fogs: moritmoto (https://hidkitpros.com/shop/chevrolet-square-morimoto-xb-led-fogs/)

The fogs were a total pain to replace but have great side-to-side coverage and 5500k. Rear brake/turn are super bright and responsive. 

Still need to change out the front HID to 6500k, the high beams to LED and the front turn signals to LED.

Any solid photos of all this glorious work above? Any hyperflashing issues? Light bulb codes on the turn signal bulbs?

Edited by rxnotec

14 hours ago, rxnotec said:

Any solid photos of all this glorious work above? Any hyperflashing issues? Light bulb codes on the turn signal bulbs?

I'll take some photos this weekend. No hyperflash (resistors installed), as far as codes I am assuming I need a Chevy diagnostic tool to determine but I have seen nothing indicated from the vehicle dash displays.

Quick video showing LED on top, standard incandescent on bottom testing during install. 

IMG_0838 (1).m4v

Edited by markitzero

1 hour ago, markitzero said:

I'll take some photos this weekend. No hyperflash (resistors installed), as far as codes I am assuming I need a Chevy diagnostic tool to determine but I have seen nothing indicated from the vehicle dash displays.

Quick video showing LED on top, standard incandescent on bottom testing during install. 

IMG_0838 (1).m4v

Cool. Looking forward to seeing them.