2019 frames paint or wax

Remains a mystery for now.  I'm hoping they are done like the Colorado/Canyon which are what appear to be painted or coated with something other than wax.  My frame looks mint after two winters still on my 2016 Colorado. 

1 hour ago, Payton34 said:

Anyone know if the new 2019 trucks still have the garbage wax coating or will they be painted?

You mean that stuff that has not allowed the trucks frames to severely rust for decades of use? Yeah, that junk... Who cares, it protects it. Will the aesthetics of the frame be a purchasing decision? Maybe you should read up on the stuff, it is called nox-rust and there are many benefits to it, one of which that paint can't do is added sound deadening; as well as self healing, water repellent and flexible among other things.

Tyler

• Thanks 1

The stuff is junk more than 50% of it peeled off my frame after 6 months and continues to flake off 4 years later.  The current gen trucks have an issue of it adhearing to the frame.    Every spring I have to chip off the loose coating and remove the rust and repaint.  My 2000 and 2005 truck the wax coating held up for about 3-4 years before it started coming off.  The frames need to be painted or atleast primed before the wax coat them to prevent the rust from forming at the welds, seams and edges were the rust always starts.

I t looks horrible when you see rust on the frames through the wheel wells on a 6 month old truck.

• Like 3

There are properly rust inhibited prior to the Nox-Rust coating.  I like the look of E-Coating too....But there are pros and cons to both no doubt.

New 2016 F-150 setting outside I just looked E-coated!  I looked at back wheel wells and Opps, many spots with nothing on at all couple square inch areas?  I asked owner if he was working on it or something back there grinding/buffing etc. when installing the exhaust.  Nope and he could care less about it anyways.....but living in Northeast in winter and that will not take long......I myself have never seen anything other than surface rust on GM frames which being FE it should have it.

Edited by mookdoc6

I agree the wax is junk. Every older chevy truck I see for sell here in ohio has significant frame rust, well beyond just surface rust. My 16 frame wax started peeling and falling off. Plus, any time the trucks are placed on a lift the coating is stripped off. Or if they come in contact with oil or other similar substances the wax starts to fall off in those areas. The wax works okay for areas that don't use liquid salt, but in southeastern Ohio the liquid salt/brine mix they use to treat roads absolutely destroys the wax and the frame. The e-coatings hold up much better from what I have seen.

Hoping Chevy switches, but if I were betting I'd place my bet on it being the wax again.

Edited by adamj2121

I agree the wax is crap. If it gets dirt or mud on it you can’t clean it. It comes off if you hit it with something or jack it up.  Just would look nicer painted. Do I look under the truck much at the frame? Nope.  But still would be nice to have a painted frame.  But my bet would be still wax on the frame for the 2019’s. 

I like the Nox-Rust coating on my 2012' Tahoe,  it looks like it as done a pretty good job for the last 6 years but most of it is gone now so I just got done  wire brushing and painting my frame with some black Rust-Oleum paint...looking good once again .

Tahoe at Lee's Ferry.jpg

Edited by Andy King

On 4/28/2018 at 11:55 AM, crafferty said:

I believe this question is answered during the debut of the Silverado in the TFLTruck video. Don’t remember if it’s wax or something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that too. Mr Truck was crawling under one truck looking for a DEF tank and he said he thought the frame was wax coated because he had some grease smears on his shirt.

• Sad 1

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎27 at 1:18 PM, amxguy1970 said:

You mean that stuff that has not allowed the trucks frames to severely rust for decades of use? Yeah, that junk... Who cares, it protects it. Will the aesthetics of the frame be a purchasing decision? Maybe you should read up on the stuff, it is called nox-rust and there are many benefits to it, one of which that paint can't do is added sound deadening; as well as self healing, water repellent and flexible among other things.

Tyler

There is simply no defending Nox Rust. Especially if you experience a real winter. If it is "self-healing" I have yet to see it. About 5,000Miles on a gravel road and a winter will show you how well they "heal" and repel things. There is nothing left on the frames in two years. Now how do you prep and paint the inside of a rusty box frame? You can't. These boxed frames are super thin steel, once that coating is gone you will see frames rot out 20 times faster than the old channel frames. You will see the K2's and GMT900's have frames rot out before the powertrain dies in places like Minnesota or Ontario Canada. It is a cheap excuse for a proper coating. I have 23,000km on my 2015 that is garage parked, no gravel roads, never driven in rain and parked through the winter and even it has spot marks that I constantly touch up. I would happily pay $2k extra for a proper powdercoated frame that will last more than 8 years. They are building these trucks cheap now, so you have no choice but to buy one every 5-8 years. Sad but true. 

• Thanks 1

I like the Nox-Rust coating on my 2012' Tahoe,  it looks like it as done a pretty good for the last 6 years but most of it is gone now so I just got done  painting my frame with some black Rust-Oleum paint...looking good once again .

Quit your whinning and just Ziebart it then....

22 hours ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

There is simply no defending Nox Rust. Especially if you experience a real winter. If it is "self-healing" I have yet to see it. About 5,000Miles on a gravel road and a winter will show you how well they "heal" and repel things. There is nothing left on the frames in two years. Now how do you prep and paint the inside of a rusty box frame? You can't. These boxed frames are super thin steel, once that coating is gone you will see frames rot out 20 times faster than the old channel frames. You will see the K2's and GMT900's have frames rot out before the powertrain dies in places like Minnesota or Ontario Canada. It is a cheap excuse for a proper coating. I have 23,000km on my 2015 that is garage parked, no gravel roads, never driven in rain and parked through the winter and even it has spot marks that I constantly touch up. I would happily pay $2k extra for a proper powdercoated frame that will last more than 8 years. They are building these trucks cheap now, so you have no choice but to buy one every 5-8 years. Sad but true. 

"Real Winter"? Like 13 years in Minnesota? 3 in Marquette or close family that lives in Chicago, Utah and Colorado that are GM owners as well? The stuff does fine, it is mostly aesthetics people complain about. Surface rust isn't damaging, dangerous or a reason to replace; you rarely see a frame that is rusted through (though every manufacturer has them). Every 5-8 years? Come on... How is that possible with and I quote from GM "More than half of light-duty pick-up trucks on the road are now 11 years or older." if they have frames that rust out in a 1/4 of the US every 5-8 years? Preventative maintenance goes a long way, even just spraying off the underside from time to time.

You can find rust complaints across all makers (Toyota, Ford, Dodge). I will take gladly take a frame that is submerged in an oily wax coating so it gets covered in all the nooks and crannies especially internally in a boxed frame than an external pretty paint job. If you drag your frame over a curb or rock both the painted and wax frames will have their coatings removed, it is easy to touch up both. What isn't easy is getting stuff inside the frame or in hard to reach areas that salt and corrosion sit and start the rusting process from inside.

Either way there are pros and cons to each but considering how long it has been used and how minimal the major failures are (taking the whole it doesn't look pretty out of the equation) the stuff works. Not to mention they continue to improve on it...

Tyler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1