Discovered! Features you may not have known about...

Gotta admit I’m having fun going through the posts and making a list of things to try...  so far I’ve discovered the “turn and release” the key to start the engine, and changed the power at the outlets to retained accessory from constant. 

There is probably a half dozen things I’ve discovered too that would be useful to add that I’ve gotten so used to I don’t even realize it was a “discovered tip and trick” any more!

Most are mentioned here but there are still things... like the seatbelt alert only chimes twice, and not constantly like many other vehicles/manufacturers. 

If you you want to drive 500 miles with no seat belt, the truck will remind you twice and that’s it. Not saying it’s a good idea, just that that’s what it does. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, parshal said:

Where/how is that changed?  Maybe I missed it.

Sorry, that one was in a different thread. 

For simplicity’s sake, pull off the driver’s side fuse panel cover and switch this 50 fuse from the position it’s in, to the second position...  referred to in the owner’s manual as postions 10&11. 

This changes the power outlet on the dash from constant, to RAP (switches off after 10 minutes).  

Hope that helps!

0B636BAC-43DE-4AD3-9025-EC67BAA7E2D4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, parshal said:

Ah, thanks!  I actually like the constant on the dash.  I'd like to change the armrest (bench seat) to constant as well.

Agreed...  I’d actually like to reverse them and have the center console ports constant and the dash RAP...  I had a dash cam fry because (I think) we had a crazy hot summer and the dash cam ran constantly in that heat. I’m ok if it shuts off when parked, it has a parking monitor. 

Same with the GPS, I’d like it to shut off when I’m done driving without having to remember to do it manually. 

But, I have other things I’d like the option to power constantly, and those are plugged in the back seat. I’m working on it...

Although, in the category of “things discovered”, I think I’m going to try this kit and that way my ports are open and free for use with other more temporary devices while the more permanent devices don’t need to occupy ports. 

361B096A-4FF1-4BBE-B49F-762F185C3956.jpeg

22 hours ago, Marv88 said:

I have this one and it is nice however there is a newer version with the main differences being the new one (i209 gm) does not play cd/DVD,  has a 9" screen as opposed to 10" on this one and supporters CarPlay as well as Android Auto (this one does not but it is capable of mirroring your phone with the hdmi adapter)

IMG_1398.thumb.JPG.51b6bee8f0e4e76280ecd5656051cadc.JPG

Nice unit.  My questions is does it play well with the steering wheel controls?  Also, my truck has a lot of programmable features which are controlled through the head unit.....will that still work the same?

I believe it uses the Maestro until to be controlled by the steering wheel.  I had that with a Kenwood head unit in my 2009.  Each button is programmable.  I was never able to get it to be the exact same functions though, overall, it was just as functional.

6 minutes ago, 71_340 said:

Nice unit.  My questions is does it play well with the steering wheel controls?  Also, my truck has a lot of programmable features which are controlled through the head unit.....will that still work the same?

My truck had the IOB radio which did not come with steering wheel controls nor a CD player which were 2 main reasons I got this however contrary to what I was told by the tech at Alpine I still could not get them to work. If your truck has steering wheel controls already they will work with the included idatalink Maestro module and you maintain "most" of you headunit controlled functions but it's been a while and unfortunately I don't remember exactly which ones I lost 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marv88 said:

I have this one and it is nice however there is a newer version with the main differences being the new one (i209 gm) does not play cd/DVD,  has a 9" screen as opposed to 10" on this one and supporters CarPlay as well as Android Auto (this one does not but it is capable of mirroring your phone with the hdmi adapter)

IMG_1398.thumb.JPG.51b6bee8f0e4e76280ecd5656051cadc.JPG

I notice you have the knockouts for the seat warmer switches, curious what  year/trim level your truck is?  I have a ‘15 2500 SLE with no seat warmers but rather than knockouts, it’s just a solid piece of trim that looks like there was never meant to be anything there. 

4 minutes ago, TCSpeedy said:

The side trim pieces with the knockouts actually come with the Alpine kit and must be used as your original trim will not work due to the larger screen. I don't have seat warmers (2016 LT) so I put my bass level knob there. 

IMG_2467.thumb.JPG.1204a54db2713d58bb1d5efbd7b1b79a.JPG

• Like 1

On my way home from my 1st oil change (2303) miles I have a long straight stretch of road. Well I let go of my steering wheel (hands right there at the ready not doing anything else) just to see how well my truck tracked...well it was straight as an arrow but what I didn’t know, and I wasn’t timing it, was there is a warning message and warning chime that tells you to grab your steering wheel, the message was in bold yellow. Did not know it can sense when you’re not gripping the steering wheel.

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Dan said:

Probably a feature of the lane keep assist option.  It senses that no small inputs are being made for a period of time. I don't think my 2016 does this.

Makes sense, it was tracking so straight that LKA never had to do anything either. Hey at least I know I have a pretty good alignment ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marv88 said:

The side trim pieces with the knockouts actually come with the Alpine kit and must be used as your original trim will not work due to the larger screen. I don't have seat warmers (2016 LT) so I put my bass level knob there. 

IMG_2467.thumb.JPG.1204a54db2713d58bb1d5efbd7b1b79a.JPG

Perfect, that's exactly why I asked.  With the knockouts there, it gives you somewhere to drill for switches... For some reason I'd hate to do that to the smooth OEM one piece trim.

5 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Hey at least I know I have a pretty good alignment ?

...or, your lane assist is fighting really hard to overcome bad alignment!  ;) 

(Sorry, couldn't help myself!)

• Haha 1