2019 Transmission and Axle Ratios

On 7/10/2018 at 8:05 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

I guess you didn't notice all the caps locked ranting the creator of the thread made. Or all the misleading  gear ratios he used as an example. 3.73's is a special order axle ratio that would drive the cost of an F-150 as high or higher than the cost to regear a 2019 GM truck. The Ram offers 3.92's but the truck is going to weigh close to 400 lbs more than a GM half-ton and it's powered by an engine that hasn't changed in nearly 10 years.

You can get the 3:73 gears on any model ford 150 for a whopping $150 price tag.

5 hours ago, Gagliano7 said:

A 3.73 is $500 on a Supercrew 4x4 XLT but you can't have it with the Ecoboost and the max trailer tow package, apparently. 

Edited by Cpl_Punishment

On 1/17/2019 at 5:50 AM, Gagliano7 said:

Sure, if you ORDER it. It's very rare to find one with 3.73's on the dealer's lot equipped the way you want it. And some of their engine options will not allow you to combine it with certain gear ratios including 3.73's. The point being, sure you can get factory 3.73's, but in most cases you won't be getting anywhere near as much in incentives for a truck you order. So where you could get a whopping $15k off an XLT F-150 with whatever gear ratio it came with on a dealer lot, you might end up losing thousands in incentives just by custom ordering that XLT with 3.73's in place of the typical 3.31's or 3.55's.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

4 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Sure, if you ORDER it. It's very rare to find one with 3.73's on the dealer's lot equipped the way you want it. And some of their engine options will not allow you to combine it with certain gear ratios including 3.73's. The point being, sure you can get factory 3.73's, but in most cases you won't be getting anywhere near as much in incentives for a truck you order. So where you could get a whopping $15k off an XLT F-150 with whatever gear ratio it came with on a dealer lot, you might end up losing thousands in incentives just by custom ordering that XLT with 3.73's in place of the typical 3.31's or 3.55's.

You don’t automatically lose incentives by ordering. Both my Jeeps got the same discounts as everything else on the lot. If anything, the dealer should be able to offer more incentives since the ordered vehicle likely will not have to be rolled into their floor plan (manufacturer-backed financing to the dealership to buy the vehicle in the first place). 

2 hours ago, MikeNH said:

You don’t automatically lose incentives by ordering. Both my Jeeps got the same discounts as everything else on the lot. If anything, the dealer should be able to offer more incentives since the ordered vehicle likely will not have to be rolled into their floor plan (manufacturer-backed financing to the dealership to buy the vehicle in the first place). 

That wasn't the way its worked in my experience.

8 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

This makes zero sense. So a truck with 3:73 loses all the discounts say a 3:55 f150 gets ? Every month the car manufacturers set a certain discount on all models. I can Garauntee you the rear gears Make zero difference and ordering it makes zero difference. And while I do agree with you that 3:73 is hard to find in f150, at least we know they allow it as an option. Unlike the general morons at GM. 

2 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

That wasn't the way its worked in my experience.

I mean this with all sincerity, you just don’t know how to grind. No way special ordering a truck loses discounts. Unless it’s a special truck like raptor etc. 

Chrysler specifically has programs in place to lock in incentives at the time of order. The morons I bought the Grand Cherokee from denied it but the incentives didn't change between ordering and delivery. You gotta fight to get a good price and dealers are generally boneheads. 

Most if not all discounts offered by GM are defined by delivery date, if there is say a loyalty deal in December and not offered in January and your truck comes in during the month of January then you lose the December incentive unless there is a vin assigned to your vehicle and you sign and pay for it prior to December 31st. Some incentives will be offered the next month and some will not, some new ones, maybe better ones can be offered  in the next month. I buy many GM vehicles for my company, 40-50 plus a year and my dealer will help me with the dates, we wait till we’ll say 01/02 and if 12/31’s deals are better we will back date the paperwork to 12/31. Deals are typically only valid at time of delivery. 

Sure and if you buy end of year, there will generally be incentives to blow out inventory. But the rest of the year, the deals from the manufacturer are rarely anything special. The bulk of the discount is generally from the dealership. And those come and go at their own schedule. I'm not going to settle for whatever some moron sales manager wants on his lot. Most of them have no clue what trucks are and order based on what satisfies the average appliance buyer. Not gonna work for me. It may take some extra work on the buyer's part but writing off factory orders as being more expensive is wrong under most circumstances. Why settle for anything other than exactly what you want? A vehicle is for most of us the second most expensive thing with our name on it. Why compromise?

• Like 1

There are hundreds and hundreds of new F150s with 3.73 gearing in all trim level. I just did a search on cars.com. I was looking at the 5.0 V8. Many of the 3.73 were advertised $12k-$14K off sticker. If you really want to find a specific truck that is sitting on a lot somewhere call Ford they will help you. Any manufacture will. I have called GM in the past and they gave me a list of all the truck in the country with the specific specs I wanted. Its pretty easy to do when rebates are high and discounts are deep at the end of a model year. You might have to travel to pick it up but thats part of the fun. Hope it helps!

On 26/01/2019 at 9:01 AM, 3737 said:

There are hundreds and hundreds of new F150s with 3.73 gearing in all trim level. I just did a search on cars.com. I was looking at the 5.0 V8. Many of the 3.73 were advertised $12k-$14K off sticker. If you really want to find a specific truck that is sitting on a lot somewhere call Ford they will help you. Any manufacture will. I have called GM in the past and they gave me a list of all the truck in the country with the specific specs I wanted. Its pretty easy to do when rebates are high and discounts are deep at the end of a model year. You might have to travel to pick it up but thats part of the fun. Hope it helps!

Aside from the rear axle ratio, why would I want to buy a Ford? 

• 5 months later...

My second post as a new member:

I want to have the dealer install 4.10/4.11 in my new 2019 Silverado LT 4x4 (new body style).  Does anyone know the differential sizes for this particular pickup (8.2, 8.5, 8.6)?

I had the dealer install those in my previous 2013 and liked what I got.

1 hour ago, Whiz said:

My second post as a new member:

I want to have the dealer install 4.10/4.11 in my new 2019 Silverado LT 4x4 (new body style).  Does anyone know the differential sizes for this particular pickup (8.2, 8.5, 8.6)?

I had the dealer install those in my previous 2013 and liked what I got.

The dealer should be able to tell what size differential you have by your VIN.

Been that route with two GM dealers here, and no one can give me the exact part numbers I need.  I've been told 8.25/8.6, and now a few minutes ago 4 Wheel Parts Inc says GM used the 9.5 and 8.25 "since 2006".  

Am a bit gun shy to order in a set for ft & rr a=nly to have it on the hoist with incorrect size(s).  

I'll keep checking and, if possible, tap a GM tech with GM whose know EXACTLY what is needed.

I worked in a GM parts department many years ago my senior year of college,  so I know that one can be wrong particularly with a brand new body style and thre rumors that GM is now using a proprietary front differential.

67 Vette Today 1.jpg