So does this mean GM can do away with AFM, Dynamic Skip Fire ??

Not to politicize this topic by means of name or link to information....

So does this mean GM can drop AFM, Dynamic Skip Technology and other future gas sipping strategies that seem to do more harm than good to some engines?

Can we go back to running 5w-30 in our GM trucks and not have to purchase devices to run on all 8 cylinders? :thumbs:

This will be an interesting debate.

Trump administration to freeze fuel-efficiency requirements in move likely to spur legal battle with states

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-administration-to-freeze-fuel-efficiency-requirements-in-move-likely-to-spur-legal-battle-with-states/ar-BBLoRL4?ocid=spartanntp

• Like 1

No sadly.  The auto industry is holding fast on their new developments, regardless of the push to "roll back" the standards.  They are testing and validating things we will see within the next 5-10 years.  Honestly, I will say that CARB and EPA went and set some really short timeframes, but at the same time, the auto industry has the abilities to meet/beat the standards.  Some of them however, put their own pockets first, and stall on releasing some great technologies. 

A good example of someone who can prove that the majority "hide" some of their abilities is Christian Von Koenigsegg and his car company.  The engineering marvels this man has achieved are rather impressive, especially his Freevalve branch.  He has 3d printed many of the parts for his cars, even went and built his own "torque coupling" because all the major converter suppliers just about laughed at him, and now want what he made. 

Edited by newdude

Wouldn't that be great. Too bad I am stuck in Canistan with a terrorist-supporting Cuckold for a leader and a wannabe sorority girl for an Environment minister. Unless your wonderful President can somehow convince Jihadi Justin to follow suit then GM likely wont change the path they are on. While Canada may seem insignificant, we buy a lot of Chevy trucks up here. Unfortunately Canada has agreed to Paris Climate Agreement, which puts us on strict environmental regs. It is unlikely GM would shy away from improved economy unless all markets were allowing it. 

Sorry guys, hate our leader not our country. I will say you are blessed to have your current President, although I am sure a lot of you don't see it that way. 

• Like 6

Freezing at current levels won't eliminate the current stuff, they're too high already.  But hopefully this will reduce the future silly stuff we'd have to deal with to meet the absurdly high levels that would have kicked in quickly.  Consumer demand guiding future products will leave us with better products than forcing the manufacturers to satisfy activists/activist politicians instead of their customers.

• Like 1

If it's not for EPA or similar institutions, then it'll be because of other things why GM would keep going with more technology for better fuel economy.

The price of oil is one example. Even if the government eliminates all the taxes for gas, we're still in the mercy of the oil industry and the traders.

Nobody knows when the oil supply will be tight (if at all, according to some Russian scientists ;) ).

When that happens, GM will go belly up if they don't keep going inventing new fuel efficient technology.

My bet is that it will not change the direction of the auto industry.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 2

The article sins by omission (big surprise there) by not referencing the stability provided by by the previous Presidential Administrations, only mentioning the immediate past Administration which upset the apple cart the most.

Roll them back, let freedom reign! 

• Like 1

I doubt that they would do away with anything.  The problem is a lot of people that own a truck,  don't need a truck, and they care about fuel mileage. They want their truck to get the same mileage as the car they traded in for the truck.  I wish they would get rid of it, but don't think that will happen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

My bet is that it will not change the direction of the auto industry.

CAFE standards have already dramatically changed the direction of the auto industry, causing millions of Americans to buy cars every year they don't really want, because the market is artificially skewed (they can't afford the cars they'd rather have due to the artificial premium placed upon them and instead buy the cars offered at an artificial discount).  Dramatic increases in the standard to insane levels can't not continue have a dramatic effect on the industry.  Conversely, avoiding those vehicle-hating-activist-derived-increases to insanity will necessarily cause the market to focus on meeting consumer demand with future changes which are much different than that of the activists.

3 hours ago, swathdiver said:

The article sins by omission (big surprise there)

Yes, very slanted.  Here's a big part of the subject they don't want to talk about:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/coffee-wont-kill-you-but-cafe-might-1522880249

It's funny, the same people pushing CAFE standards are happy to argue that some new gun control law that will deprive hundreds of millions of Americans some of their freedoms, their lives if they ever need to defend themselves, destroy businesses and jobs...is well worth it if it saves ONE SINGLE INNOCENT LIFE.  OK, well CAFE standards kill thousands every year.  But that's just a small price to pay for their imposed virtue.

• Like 1

If the US would produce a better cleaner fuel, especially in the diesel world then mpg would increase. At least that is how I see it.  Especially in diesels. You wouldn't need all this DEF and exhaust emissions if the fuel that was burned was a high quality cleaner burning fuel.  But the big oil will not put any more money into what they don't have to and are raking in the bucks now as it is.  So why change.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, newdude said:

A good example of someone who can prove that the majority "hide" some of their abilities is Christian Von Koenigsegg and his car company.  The engineering marvels this man has achieved are rather impressive, especially his Freevalve branch.  He has 3d printed many of the parts for his cars, even went and built his own "torque coupling" because all the major converter suppliers just about laughed at him, and now want what he made. 

The ol conspiracy theory about how they are holding back, come on.

he’s been working on that for like a decade now and still hasn’t released it into production.

if a manufacturer could engineer that system to work, it would be out. Any manufacturer would kill babies to implement a fully functional camless internal combustion engine.

The changes in automobiles has been brought on by increased competition since the 70s from overseas. Left to their own devices the auto industry will make cars and trucks more efficient at the same time that will make them more environmentally friendly. Relying on the government to push those changes ether way is a fools errand. If people really study history it’s easy to tell who’s ideas have been best for our country. And when we’ve been more prosperous and with us so is the world. It’s a shame we’re in a time that instead of pushing better ideas, one side is becoming more violent. Instead of giving credit where credit is do, there is just noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because of government regulations, "cars" are not selling so well anymore and automakers are making and introducing fewer and fewer new models.  If only the Statists would leave us all alone and allow free enterprise to flourish.  But ever prideful, they cannot contain themselves as they think they can decide what's best for you and me better than we can decide what's best for me, what's best for you.  Utter foolishness.

I am all for saving and preserving the environment for future generations, but some of these government regulations seem to pad the pockets of politicians more than

they help our planet. Our trucks will always have a bullseye on them when in all reality high performance cars like the 700+ horsepower factory hellcats, demons etc probably

pollute the air more than our trusty hay haulers. Granted there are more trucks on the road than high performance muscle cars but the principle of the matter still remains.

Car sales are not suffering because of govt. regulation. The sales decline is due to the ever increasing popularity of trucks and SUV's due to lower gas prices.

Alternative fuel vehicles will not be more common place until the price of technology becomes more affordable, plain and simple.

GM experimented with Hybrid trucks and SUV's in the past but the cost to savings ratio simply did not add up.