Post your latest oil change.

Those squeeze packs sure make it a whole lot easier!  [emoji4]

Yeah. It’s a great idea. I’ll post up some pics once I get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Got the rear differential and transfer case done today. Those squeeze packs are the best. Had some metal on fill plug and magnet on bottom of housing. Transfer case plug had some too. Fluid was still red.

d719fb03b8c0b860938ca2e33a457e56.plist
2f357b1f7a79ae63b93ed3f866b3f75a.plist
f17531d32cc0edd453aa3f4fd2fa6ade.jpg
496679d07e638b254a649ebddd53ff49.plist

• Like 3

Did the front differential yesterday. Oil came out black. Magnet had fine shavings but the oil felt gritty. I don’t think these magnets are all that strong. Glad I got it all changed out at 23k.

0121916b4fb344bb82889b53e2378724.jpg

Next up....the tranny. Got my AMSOIL too. Going to follow this procedure. Found it the other night

• Like 2

Did the front differential yesterday. Oil came out black. Magnet had fine shavings but the oil felt gritty. I don’t think these magnets are all that strong. Glad I got it all changed out at 23k.

0121916b4fb344bb82889b53e2378724.jpg

Next up....the tranny. Got my AMSOIL too. Going to follow this procedure. Found it the other night

Good luck with this project.

Sent from Above

Everything went smooth. The only thing where I made a mess was the tube going into the radiator slipped out. I had to hold it in. The other metal tube going to trans did not have fluid coming out. I did it stone cold. I was able to get about 1.5 gal out that way. The pan still had a good amount of oil in it after flushing a good bunch out by starting the vehicle. Surprisingly none spilled when I unbolted it. I used a turkey baster to empty it. Wiped it out. Cleaned the magnet. Changed the filter. When you drop the filter you need to slide the pan to the passenger side of vehicle and turn the filter over where the stem faces down to get it out. Gasket stayed stuck to trans so I cleaned pan and gasket while in place. Not bad at all. The tool to remove the line going into the radiator is useless. I used a pick. Just put a towel underneath incase you drop it. Would no want to look for it down in that mess.

Added 2 gal after I bolted everything back up. Started the vehicle with tubing still connected and watched it flow until became bright red. Total fluid exchanged just a bit over 11 qts. Manual called for 12.2 qts total. Drove it for a bit until it reached operating temp of 185 and checkb fluid right in the ok zone for being hot. I think I did ok.

What I do notice is when I shift from park to reverse there is no more clunk. It’s smooth. Shifting feels smoother as well. Could the oil make that much of a difference??

18b5422f029b1ac248e8ef8d57a75b21.jpg

f858b63c3bdb5b4709b016a3893f21e7.jpg
896947fdf3cccd30d861a8ee33183119.jpg
572ea681066674d8a2d08d99eee59a04.jpg
9f1bef6e3684ef9ba3844f92dbf9b39d.jpg
7133bbcbeb78aa003a392804410d5025.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob2C said:

Everything went smooth. The only thing where I made a mess was the tube going into the radiator slipped out. I had to hold it in. The other metal tube going to trans did not have fluid coming out. I did it stone cold. I was able to get about 1.5 gal out that way. The pan still had a good amount of oil in it after flushing a good bunch out by starting the vehicle. Surprisingly none spilled when I unbolted it. I used a turkey baster to empty it. Wiped it out. Cleaned the magnet. Changed the filter. When you drop the filter you need to slide the pan to the passenger side of vehicle and turn the filter over where the stem faces down to get it out. Gasket stayed stuck to trans so I cleaned pan and gasket while in place. Not bad at all. The tool to remove the line going into the radiator is useless. I used a pick. Just put a towel underneath incase you drop it. Would no want to look for it down in that mess.

Added 2 gal after I bolted everything back up. Started the vehicle with tubing still connected and watched it flow until became bright red. Total fluid exchanged just a bit over 11 qts. Manual called for 12.2 qts total. Drove it for a bit until it reached operating temp of 185 and checkb fluid right in the ok zone for being hot. I think I did ok.

What I do notice is when I shift from park to reverse there is no more clunk. It’s smooth. Shifting feels smoother as well. Could the oil make that much of a difference??

18b5422f029b1ac248e8ef8d57a75b21.jpg

f858b63c3bdb5b4709b016a3893f21e7.jpg
896947fdf3cccd30d861a8ee33183119.jpg
572ea681066674d8a2d08d99eee59a04.jpg
9f1bef6e3684ef9ba3844f92dbf9b39d.jpg
7133bbcbeb78aa003a392804410d5025.jpg

Yes the fluid can make a difference. Using a quality fluid like AMSOIL will protect better than other fluids that "meet" dexron's specifications.   Several individuals I have talked to have stated that they noticed a nice difference in the shift on their 6 and 8 speed transmissions.  I'm going to switch over my 10sp here some time this summer.  I did our 2016 Suburban when it had 15k on it as well as my 2014 Cruze diesel, daughters 2012 Cruze 1.4l and my 2002 back in 2002 when I purchased it.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 3:18 PM, Bob2C said:

Yes!

I've had quality synthetics make a marked difference in several vehicles. Night and day differences. 

Ever drive a late 90's Honda Civic 5 speed? Getting in to first gear anything over 3 mph is near impossible. Red Line MLT and you can get her to drop to low like butter from any speed you feel comfortable doing so.

Royal Enfield Bullet motorcycles used an Albion gearbox. We use to call them hit or miss boxes. Used 00 grease. Switch to Red Line Shock Proof Heavy....butter box. 

2005 Harley FLH. A quality PAO/Ester oil will drop oil temperatures 15 to 20 F. Shock Proof in the gear box gives it the feel of something made in Japan. 75/90N in the primary and the clutch becomes silk the chain becomes silent.

2002 Harley Sporty 883. Red Line dropped the oil temperature so low I run 10W40 in her.

Just switched Pepper to AMSOIL SS 10W30. Even after hours at road speed that motor is so quite you could run 50 mph in second gear for 20 minutes and not know  your doing it. (Don't ask)

AMSOIL Severe Gear improved my coast down distance allot.

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

Switched my Honda ATV over to Amsoil motor oil recently.

Could tell the difference.

Wet clutch system. Motor is quieter and shifts better.

:)

• Like 3

Switched my Honda ATV over to Amsoil motor oil recently.
Could tell the difference.
Wet clutch system. Motor is quieter and shifts better.

[emoji4]

Welcome to the club!

Sent from Above

What I observed is the tranny stays cooler longer. In my 20 min commute which is a mix of city/highway the temp reaches 130. When I did a hot check yesterday I had to drive and drive to reach 185. It took a while and I was stop and go. Much longer. Less heat- better for overall longevity.

• Like 2

2015 GMC Terrain

Sugar Bears SUV

Short service interval for second motor flushing.

117,782 miles

3,327 actual this OCI

Used 1 quart this service. That's an improvement. First time in months there wasn't any water in the cap. Making progress. PVC now fully functional.

Flushed again. This time BG ERP. There is no darker black than what came out of this motor. 

4.75 Quarts NAPA (Valvoline 5W30) and Gold Filter. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

2015 GMC Terrain

Sugar Bears SUV

120,000 miles

2,218 OCI miles this service. Zero oil used. Color was just starting to turn. Great run this time.

5 full quarts AMSOIL SS 10W30 and a WIX filter. 

It would seem we have the rings free and PCV working as designed. No moisture, no excessive vapor traffic.  

Enough encouragement to load AMSOIL and attempt a 5K OCI. I may never get to that Kirkland oil. :) 

Too early for the happy dance but......I'll let ya know. 

• Like 2

2015 GMC Terrain

Sugar Bears SUV
120,000 miles
2,218 OCI miles this service. Zero oil used. Color was just starting to turn. Great run this time.
5 full quarts AMSOIL SS 10W30 and a WIX filter. 

It would seem we have the rings free and PCV working as designed. No moisture, no excessive vapor traffic.  

Enough encouragement to load AMSOIL and attempt a 5K OCI. I may never get to that Kirkland oil. [emoji4] 

Too early for the happy dance but......I'll let ya know. 

AMSOIL!!!!!!!! [emoji119] [emoji322] [emoji3060] [emoji323]

Sent from Above