GM Recalls 1 Mil Vehicles, 10 Models Due to Trapped Hydrogen Gas

Gorehamj

2018-Buick-Regal-GS-028.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9-13-2018

General Motors is recalling 10 models and about 1 million total vehicles for a reason we have never heard before. The apparent cause of the recall is that the rear brakes may contain trapped hydrogen gas. As any mechanic knows, any trapped gas in a brake line can cause problems, notably a soft pedal as the gas expands and contracts. GM says it knows of no accidents due to the issue. The solution is to bleed the brakes.

The affected models includes 2018 and 2019 MY vehicles: GMC Terrain, Buick Lacrosse and Regal, Cadillac XTS and Chevrolet Cruze, Equinox, Volt, Impala, Bolt, and the Chevrolet Malibu.

To see if your brakes may contain a hydrogen bubble check it here at GM's VIN lookup.

On 18/09/2018 at 10:01 PM, SnakeEyeSS said:

Except it's much less dangerous than gasoline. The energy content in gasoline is much higher.

I doubt they would ever use gasoline in brake lines.  I don't even understand how hydrogen gas ended up in the brake lines in the first place.  I don't see the advantage over any other gas.  Surely they could have used an inert gas. 

What in the actual f#$! is hydrogen doing in ANY brake system??

21st Century life is too strange. I need a friggin time machine ... :shakehead: