Gorehamj

GM Recalls 1 Mil Vehicles, 10 Models Due to Trapped Hydrogen Gas

2018-Buick-Regal-GS-028.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9-13-2018

General Motors is recalling 10 models and about 1 million total vehicles for a reason we have never heard before. The apparent cause of the recall is that the rear brakes may contain trapped hydrogen gas. As any mechanic knows, any trapped gas in a brake line can cause problems, notably a soft pedal as the gas expands and contracts. GM says it knows of no accidents due to the issue. The solution is to bleed the brakes.

The affected models includes 2018 and 2019 MY vehicles: GMC Terrain, Buick Lacrosse and Regal, Cadillac XTS and Chevrolet Cruze, Equinox, Volt, Impala, Bolt, and the Chevrolet Malibu.

To see if your brakes may contain a hydrogen bubble check it here at GM's VIN lookup.

I'd be more worried about gas trapped in the seats.

But that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sounds like GM uses hydrogen on the brake system to help bleed them.  They must use a sealed system to perform the bleeding though, that big blimp in the 30's demonstrated what hydrogen gas can do. 

I'd bet the gas is a product of the brake fluid and some other component in the system.  Chemical reaction etc etc.  They may also replace the fluid with something else.  Just a guess though.

8 hours ago, Doug_Scott said:

, that big blimp in the 30's demonstrated what hydrogen gas can do. 

Except it's much less dangerous than gasoline. The energy content in gasoline is much higher.

H2S is still worse.

JMO

On 18/09/2018 at 10:01 PM, SnakeEyeSS said:

Except it's much less dangerous than gasoline. The energy content in gasoline is much higher.

I doubt they would ever use gasoline in brake lines.  I don't even understand how hydrogen gas ended up in the brake lines in the first place.  I don't see the advantage over any other gas.  Surely they could have used an inert gas. 

What in the actual f#$! is hydrogen doing in ANY brake system??

21st Century life is too strange. I need a friggin time machine ... :shakehead:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RalphieN
      I'm not sure I'm posting in the right area. Forgive me if so.
      I dont know a whole lot about cars but my boyfriend is having some issues with the back brakes on his Yukon. I believe they are drums. But he looked at them tonight & it seems that a big chunk of one of his brake pads has broken off. He says they keep losing up or something. Like they have a self adjuster thing on it that is supposed to tighten up as the brakes wear down. But it doesn't seem to be adjusting. Just getting looser. Would anyone have any clue why this would be happening? Could it be the wrong size on there?? 
      Auto Zone says either 10 in or 11 in. 11 in was what was on there b4 he changed them, but could that have been wrong? Maybe previous owner had wrong ones on there? 
      Sorry if this is confusing. Any help would be appreciated.
      It's a 1999 Yukon
    • By MattyG
      I am looking for help. I was towing a light trailer over the weekend and used my trailer assist for heavy traffic. On my way to returning the empty trailer an issue arose. First, I was at a stop light when I proceeded to go I hear a small thud followed by about 3 squeaks and it went away. Not thinking much of it because I thought it was the trailer. Upon heading home I was coming to a stop sign at the bottom of a large hill and then a loud THUD come from the rear end. Pulled over and did an inspection but found nothing. I made an appointment with the Chevy dealership for today. Upon taking it there, I heard three loud bangs about 100 feet apart, also from the rear end area. Chevy dealership said they didnt find anything and to not use trailer assist for light loads. As I was leaving the dealership, I came to another stop sign, this time, I took my foot of the brake and the truck stayed in place while on drive, I am also going down a hill when this happened. I gave it gas and there was another loud pop then a "release" of the truck. I have no clue what the hell is going on here. Seems to shift and stop fine. I'm scared to drive this truck anywhere.
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      11-8-2018

General Motors made an unusual request today of GM-Trucks.com. Our contact at the Chevy Truck department asked us to report that GM is launching a new campaign to adjust the sensitivity of the airbags in the Chevy Colorado ZR2. This is a refreshing change from the industry standard practice of soft-pedaling recalls and product programs. Here is the unedited information we were asked to convey:

As you are aware, there have been reports of Colorado ZR2 owners whose roof-mounted side airbags deployed while off-roading. Upon learning of this issue, Chevrolet took immediate action to understand the root cause and create a solution. Today, we notified Chevrolet dealers of a customer-satisfaction initiative to recalibrate the thresholds for the roof-mounted side airbags for ZR2 owners. The updated calibration is available as of today, and will be installed free of charge the next time the customers takes their ZR2 to a Chevrolet dealer. There have been 11 reports of Colorado ZR2 owners whose roof-mounted side airbags deployed while off-roading.  Chevrolet is working to reimburse those ZR2 customers for the cost of repair, provided the event data was available to confirm the incident. We are incredibly proud of the ZR2 and the off-road capability it offers, and are encouraged to see customers are using the truck as intended. If customers have questions, they should contact their local dealer or Chevrolet Customer Assistance at 800-833-2438

GM-Trucks.com readers may recall that in May we covered the news that owners were beginning to report that the airbags in their Colorado trucks were deploying while off-roading (and not in a crash). You can read the prior full report here and see more images. Our reporting leaned heavily on images and reports from GM-Truck.com member Joe F. Since Joe's information was made available, other owners have also reported the same problem. We will do our best to get new information from Joe F. and how he is reimbursed. 

Our thanks to GM for asking us to be involved in disseminating this important product update program.  
    • By amg1107
      Just had this happen. Going under 15mph, applying the brake causes the pedal to become stiff and lock up and not work. This has caused me to almost hit someone twice. Sounds to me like brake booster. Anyone else having/had this problem???
    • By love3guys
      First post here and I wasn't quite sure where to post.  This isn't really troubleshooting because we know what is wrong, I'm mainly wanting to know if there are large scale issues regarding this and how do we get in touch with GMC about it as our mechanic isn't much help at this point other than charging $1100 to fix it. 

We bought a used 2015 GMC Yukon last year with 20k miles on it.  A month ago, the Side Blind Zone alert on the side mirrors came on and have stayed on permanently, even when the car is turned off.  Because of that, it drains our battery when the car is parked longer than 2-3 days.  I took it into the shop a couple of days ago and we find out that the box that houses the sensors, in the right rear quarter panel, had become detached and was dangling close to the exhaust pipe.  Because of this, it totally melted the box housing the sensors.  The mechanic tells us that the sensor box is only glued in and can become detached easily.   This is costing us $1100 to fix because the sensor is over $300, and then labor for the past 2 days to get it back in place. 

Is there a thread in here from others who have had this issue?  Is this a wide spread issue?  Should GMC pay to fix this and if so, what are my next steps?   

Thanks!