Gorehamj

GM Recalls 1 Mil Vehicles, 10 Models Due to Trapped Hydrogen Gas

2018-Buick-Regal-GS-028.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9-13-2018

General Motors is recalling 10 models and about 1 million total vehicles for a reason we have never heard before. The apparent cause of the recall is that the rear brakes may contain trapped hydrogen gas. As any mechanic knows, any trapped gas in a brake line can cause problems, notably a soft pedal as the gas expands and contracts. GM says it knows of no accidents due to the issue. The solution is to bleed the brakes.

The affected models includes 2018 and 2019 MY vehicles: GMC Terrain, Buick Lacrosse and Regal, Cadillac XTS and Chevrolet Cruze, Equinox, Volt, Impala, Bolt, and the Chevrolet Malibu.

To see if your brakes may contain a hydrogen bubble check it here at GM's VIN lookup.

I'd be more worried about gas trapped in the seats.

But that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sounds like GM uses hydrogen on the brake system to help bleed them.  They must use a sealed system to perform the bleeding though, that big blimp in the 30's demonstrated what hydrogen gas can do. 

I'd bet the gas is a product of the brake fluid and some other component in the system.  Chemical reaction etc etc.  They may also replace the fluid with something else.  Just a guess though.

8 hours ago, Doug_Scott said:

, that big blimp in the 30's demonstrated what hydrogen gas can do. 

Except it's much less dangerous than gasoline. The energy content in gasoline is much higher.

On 18/09/2018 at 10:01 PM, SnakeEyeSS said:

Except it's much less dangerous than gasoline. The energy content in gasoline is much higher.

I doubt they would ever use gasoline in brake lines.  I don't even understand how hydrogen gas ended up in the brake lines in the first place.  I don't see the advantage over any other gas.  Surely they could have used an inert gas. 

What in the actual f#$! is hydrogen doing in ANY brake system??

21st Century life is too strange. I need a friggin time machine ... :shakehead:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 2017Darkness
      Well, here it is:
      N182202780 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Brake Assist Decreased Due to Vacuum Loss GLOBAL SAFETY FIELD INVESTIGATIONS
      DCS5013
      URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date:       April 10, 2019

Subject:   N182202780 - Special Coverage
                      Brake Assist Decreased due to Vacuum Loss

Models:   2014 – 2017 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV
                      2014 – 2017 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
                      2014 – 2017 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

To:           All General Motors Dealers

General Motors is releasing Special Coverage N182202780 today.  The total number of U.S. vehicles involved is approximately 3,357,584.  Please see the attached bulletin for details. 

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 6 years or 72,000 miles (116,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after April 10, 2019 for US, (April 11, 2019 for Canada), are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to April 10, 2019 for US, (April 11, 2019 for Canada), must be submitted to the Service Contract provider. Vehicle owners or lessees who paid for repairs referenced in this Special Coverage (“Customers”) are eligible for reimbursement of their reasonable and customary expenses in accordance with the procedures specified below.

• By Emann122
      My brakes seem like they are weak nothing seems to be leaking, I step on them it gets soft with a little vibration, and my temp gauge is not working in my cluster I changed the step motors 3 times still not workin, 
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      3-20-2019
      NHTSA has reported that General Motors is recalling some 2016-2018 GMC Sierra 3500 and Chevrolet Silverado 3500 trucks with gasoline engines and dual fuel tanks. GM says that the fuel-level sensor in the front tank may stick in the low-level position, allowing the rear tank to overfill the front tank. If the front tank overfills, GM says that the excess pressure may cause the front tank to expand and contact the driveshaft, possibly resulting in a hole in the tank. This could cause leaking fuel, and increase the risk of a fire.

GM has notified owners by mail. Dealers will replace the rear-tank fuel-pump module, inspect the front tank and, if necessary, replace the front tank. GM's number for this recall is N182204190. The NHTSA Campaign Number is 19V088000. About 19,000 vehicles are included in this recall. 

Check to see if your truck is on the list here.
    • By Dale Mitchell
      I changed the brakes and rotors out on my 14 Silverado crew cab about a month ago go to the brakes squeaking non stop, and a visible gouge on the driver side rotor. The pads still had about 60% on them but changed them out anyway, here I am a month later and the same damn squeaking is back, there is no visible sign of anything dragging the rotor but holy hell is it annoying. Anyone had this issue?
    • By wing98
      I have an insight trailer brake controller for sale $100.00 firm with 2014 plug n play wire
      i purchased this and put it in but never used it don't have trailer with brakes and don't like pulling trailer anyway 
      purchased from etrailer