Gorehamj

GM Recalls 1 Mil Vehicles, 10 Models Due to Trapped Hydrogen Gas

2018-Buick-Regal-GS-028.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9-13-2018

General Motors is recalling 10 models and about 1 million total vehicles for a reason we have never heard before. The apparent cause of the recall is that the rear brakes may contain trapped hydrogen gas. As any mechanic knows, any trapped gas in a brake line can cause problems, notably a soft pedal as the gas expands and contracts. GM says it knows of no accidents due to the issue. The solution is to bleed the brakes.

The affected models includes 2018 and 2019 MY vehicles: GMC Terrain, Buick Lacrosse and Regal, Cadillac XTS and Chevrolet Cruze, Equinox, Volt, Impala, Bolt, and the Chevrolet Malibu.

To see if your brakes may contain a hydrogen bubble check it here at GM's VIN lookup.

I'd be more worried about gas trapped in the seats.

But that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sounds like GM uses hydrogen on the brake system to help bleed them.  They must use a sealed system to perform the bleeding though, that big blimp in the 30's demonstrated what hydrogen gas can do. 

I'd bet the gas is a product of the brake fluid and some other component in the system.  Chemical reaction etc etc.  They may also replace the fluid with something else.  Just a guess though.

8 hours ago, Doug_Scott said:

, that big blimp in the 30's demonstrated what hydrogen gas can do. 

Except it's much less dangerous than gasoline. The energy content in gasoline is much higher.

On 18/09/2018 at 10:01 PM, SnakeEyeSS said:

Except it's much less dangerous than gasoline. The energy content in gasoline is much higher.

I doubt they would ever use gasoline in brake lines.  I don't even understand how hydrogen gas ended up in the brake lines in the first place.  I don't see the advantage over any other gas.  Surely they could have used an inert gas. 

What in the actual f#$! is hydrogen doing in ANY brake system??

21st Century life is too strange. I need a friggin time machine ... :shakehead:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dale Mitchell
      I changed the brakes and rotors out on my 14 Silverado crew cab about a month ago go to the brakes squeaking non stop, and a visible gouge on the driver side rotor. The pads still had about 60% on them but changed them out anyway, here I am a month later and the same damn squeaking is back, there is no visible sign of anything dragging the rotor but holy hell is it annoying. Anyone had this issue?
    • By wing98
      I have an insight trailer brake controller for sale $100.00 firm with 2014 plug n play wire
      i purchased this and put it in but never used it don't have trailer with brakes and don't like pulling trailer anyway 
      purchased from etrailer
    • By Northsidechev
      I have a 99 Silverado 4x4 and I there have been a couple times when I'm making a tight turn like into a parking spot that it feels like I have no brakes. I brought it into my old guy who fixes things for me  that I can't and he said the brakes seem to function fine and there are no codes showing up so he thinks its probably a sensor not picking things up properly due to a wheel bearing starting to get loose. He was reluctant to just start replacing things not being sure exactly which wheel was the issue (which a I appreciated) and suggested I pull the ABS fuse and put it back in every few months until the issue got to the point where it would trigger a code. I live in Minnesota so the ABS is a nice feature and I hate having warning lights on the dash. This guy is usually really good with these older vehicles, but I would like to see what others think could be wrong or give me ideas on how to diagnose.

Thanks
    • By Kookin
      I have about  6000 ( i travel a lot and despise airplane seats )  miles on my 2019 GMC SEIRRA DENALI 5.3 ( I love chrome lol ) . I've  been experiencing   a very troubling issue been to the dealership once already and had a hard time convincing them that something was wrong with the truck .Every time i drive for long periods of time or idle for 10+ mins when i shift from park to drive  i cannot go faster than 5 mph without the rear brakes locking up. I do not know if this is some kind of limp mode or what  . Contacted GM they work slower than molasses  , idk what  to do 
    • By sangeeth
      Good day to all! Newbie here and looking to fix a rather disturbing problem. 
      Car is a 2013 Silverado; Everytime I hit the brakes a bit too hard there's a high pitched squeal that shoots out of the (I'm guessing) master cylinder area. The truck has 60,000 miles on the clock and only ever been serviced at the dealership. Took it in last week for a service and the said they need to replace the master cylinder and brake booster to fix the squealing noise. 

Just curious if this is a common problem on these trucks? Is there a solution other than outright replacement of the parts? I can work my way around a car so DIY isn't a problem. 

Thankyou for reading!