Post Your Cool Feature Discoveries On Your T1

Might be old news for some, but I couldn't find any documentation on it. With kids falling out of open doors these days, whenever I shift from park, the doors lock before fluid has time to fill the clutch packs.

If one is to pull the door handle to open the locked door, twice, it will unlock and allow occupants to fall out, while in gear or neutral. 

But no matter how many times you push the tailgate button to drop the gate with the truck in neutral with drivers door open or closed, it will not open. Making a person to go back to the cab and put it in park, just to open the gate. They aren't making these things for old farmers any longer. 

The lack of a manual gearbox was a big surprise. 

Might be old news for some, but I couldn't find any documentation on it. With kids falling out of open doors these days, whenever I shift from park, the doors lock before fluid has time to fill the clutch packs.

If one is to pull the door handle to open the locked door, twice, it will unlock and allow occupants to fall out, while in gear or neutral. 

But no matter how many times you push the tailgate button to drop the gate with the truck in neutral with drivers door open or closed, it will not open. Making a person to go back to the cab and put it in park, just to open the gate. They aren't making these things for old farmers any longer. 

The lack of a manual gearbox was a big surprise. 

From someone who “farms”: why wouldn’t you put the truck in park when you get off to open the tailgate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jav_eee said:

From someone who “farms”: why wouldn’t you put the truck in park when you get off to open the tailgate?

Guess it's old school. Not so much getting out just to open the tailgate, but livestock gates, checking the rain gauge, checking the mailbox, checking pivots, opening up the shop doors, picking up irrigation pipe, checking the transmission fluid, etc.

Here, we have flat ground. Truck might roll 2 feet and stop. In 70 years I've never used park, unless it was for parking, not stopping. If it was rolling, set the parking brake. Use park when shutting engine off. 

Kinda like using the manuals. Engine running and stopped, shift out of gear, set parking brake if rolling, Parking with engine off, dump it into second gear.

You might not know, but ford had a phase in life that the autos would jump out of park, into reverse.

To each his own.

I found out LED headlights suck in snow. No heat is generated and you have to keep stopping to brush the snow off at night. This i really don't like.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duramaxsky said:

I found out LED headlights suck in snow. No heat is generated and you have to keep stopping to brush the snow off at night. This i really don't like.

I was wondering about that! I haven't driven in those conditions yet, where you couldn't keep the windshield clear on max defrost, at anything over 40 mph.

Then throw in, following or meeting vehicles with that mist spray.

But "here", I drive more at night, when conditions are more favorable. I really like the led's for that.

It's always something, huh?

• Like 1

You might not know, but ford had a phase in life that the autos would jump out of park, into reverse.

To each his own.

I actually know someone who was killed many many years back (way before cell phones) when his Chevy came out of park and pinned him between the truck and gate. He was found later that night.

That being said I still can’t figure out why neutral. Park is so much easier to shift into, I find it takes effort to hit the neutral notch. Guess you get better at it the more you use it. Like you said, to each their own!

On 12/20/2020 at 2:07 PM, Duramaxsky said:

Better fuel mileage had nothing to do with the choice. I would have bought a Ford if they had a more powerful engine that was not a mouse with a supercharger or turbo. I like big old school V8 power. I figured it likely got worse mileage than the 5.3. So that is dosen't is just a nice benefit. But I would have bought an F150 if the 5.3 was the biggest engine GM had. Not enough bigger than the 5.3 to buy the Chevy.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I jumped from a 2010 5.3 to 6.2.  The 6.2 is more fuel efficient.  The only concern I have with it is the availability of premium fuel on some of my recreation routes.  Mostly 87 octane, regular unleaded is all available at gas stations.  I'm wondering if something like Lucas octane boost would be me 4 points with a 15oz bottle per 25 gallon fill up.  It is that or carry a lot of gas cans.  I had a bigger capacity tank in my older GM as well, which I prefer.

I jumped from a 2010 5.3 to 6.2.  The 6.2 is more fuel efficient.  The only concern I have with it is the availability of premium fuel on some of my recreation routes.  Mostly 87 octane, regular unleaded is all available at gas stations.  I'm wondering if something like Lucas octane boost would be me 4 points with a 15oz bottle per 25 gallon fill up.  It is that or carry a lot of gas cans.  I had a bigger capacity tank in my older GM as well, which I prefer.
I have never really seen that. Most stations have premium. When I got my Duramax in 03 diesel was a little hard to find
Now most stations have it.

25 minutes ago, Duramaxsky said:

I have never really seen that. Most stations have premium. When I got my Duramax in 03 diesel was a little hard to find
Now most stations have it.

Just telling you my experience.  Rural, small town gas stations don't have 91 on pump in my area.

Just telling you my experience.  Rural, small town gas stations don't have 91 on pump in my area.
Maybe things are different in the west. Here you need to be more worried about how far the exits are from each other. In UT MT and parts of ID you need to stop before it's too late. Another thing that sucks with our small tanks. Towns with stations can be close to 50 miles apart.

I use to live in Salt Lake City and would drive to Grants Pass, OR to visit extended family. My route had me get off I-80 and take over 200 miles of back roads, that even today doesn't have towns, gas stations, or even cell phone reception. Get off I-80 in Winnemucca, NV and head to Lakeview, OR. Back in the 80s there was a gas station in Denio, NV, and it was about midway between the 2 towns. That station is closed. And, because of Oregon's laws stating you can't pump your own gas, if you got to Lakeview, OR you were stuck until the gas station opened in the morning. I use to have a car that was limited to the distance, and I spent at least 1 winter night freezing my butt off in the car waiting for the gas station to open. I'm glad these trucks are capable of better mpg. Still, I make sure to top off the gas in Winnemucca just in case something happens. I've hit many big storms on this route, and helped many people who've become stranded. Oh, and the entire 200 miles is open range with no fencing. It's not uncommon to suddenly find a herd of cows in the middle of the highway in the middle of the night.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I use to live in Salt Lake City and would drive to Grants Pass, OR to visit extended family. My route had me get off I-80 and take over 200 miles of back roads, that even today doesn't have towns, gas stations, or even cell phone reception. Get off I-80 in Winnemucca, NV and head to Lakeview, OR. Back in the 80s there was a gas station in Denio, NV, and it was about midway between the 2 towns. That station is closed. And, because of Oregon's laws stating you can't pump your own gas, if you got to Lakeview, OR you were stuck until the gas station opened in the morning. I use to have a car that was limited to the distance, and I spent at least 1 winter night freezing my butt off in the car waiting for the gas station to open. I'm glad these trucks are capable of better mpg. Still, I make sure to top off the gas in Winnemucca just in case something happens. I've hit many big storms on this route, and helped many people who've become stranded. Oh, and the entire 200 miles is open range with no fencing. It's not uncommon to suddenly find a herd of cows in the middle of the highway in the middle of the night.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Even going north from Winnemucca it's a very long way to the next fuel stop. It's Jackpot. Last time I was there they were getting over $6 a gallon. But the next fuel is I 84 in Idaho. I took the new truck to Salt Lake last October towing my 30' trailer. I ran out on 84 just before Twin Falls. I knew that might happen so I had 5 gallons of premium in the bed. Also 5 gallons of ethanol free regular for the generator. I could use that if needed. But it wasn't. When I got to Twin Falls I filled the 5 gallons in the can incase I did it again. I have decided that truck sucks for towing. Small fuel tank is one reason. Bad fuel mileage is another. And it's just not nearly as stable as the old Duramax either. It's nicer and all but me and the little lady agree the old truck is better for long trips towing. It has a 45 gallon transfer flow tank in place of the stock one and another 12 in the bed with a pump to move it to the main tank while driving. It will make it from Seattle to Twin Falls on that easy. It took 3 tanks and the 5 in the new truck. Then it didn't make it to SLC from there. The old one makes it there with over half a tank left and not needing the tank in the bed. And it handles the 80 MPH speed limits in ID and UT better. Much more stable and less loss of fuel mileage due to the higher speed. The 6.2 has plenty of power though. I was surprised how well it pulled up Cabbage out of Pendleton OR. Almost as well as the Duramax. I didn't expect that.

• Like 1