winter driving

djw88

I don’t drive the 1/2 ton in the winter but I run 540 pounds worth in the 3/4 ton all winter and ran 250/300 pounds in my K10 and the same in my S10 blazer 4x4 before that. All right above the rear axle some say to run it up against the tailgate. I also run all terrains on everything too so IDK if you’d need them with snow tires? IMO ballast helps mostly with packed snow/icy roads getting started from a stop and stopping not so much with fresh powder the 4x handles that just fine. If you decide to run sand bags make sure to secure them somehow those little bastards like to slide around in the bed & will fly though the back glass or over the tailgate if you get rear ended or sideways in a ditch. Also I carry a knife in case I need to sacrifice one or two for traction. I built a box out of 2x12s and 2x4s between the wheel arches using the built in grooves in the bed sides.

I just use auto if a little snow on the roads and if they are covered then 4 high. I have never put weight in mine been driving in snow for 24 years no problems. If you had a 2wd I would say definitely add some weight. 

where in WI are you?

I have been putting two bags of tube sand from menards in the far back, against the tailgate. This is more for ballast with my plow on, but it also helps with traction in 2hi. I have a 2x4 in the rear slot of the bed.

honestly, if you're driving on snow covered roads in 4hi, you don't need any additional weight. Extra weight only helps improve traction a bit when in 2hi.

I still have the stock crappy goodyear tires on and I drive in 2hi most of winter except when roads are icy. Even just regular light snow, i keep it in 2hi. If you drive within the limits of the conditions, and you know how to control the truck, you're fine without sand bags.

Some people leave it in 4auto all winter, then I don't think sandbags would make any noticeable difference. It really just depends on your driving style/preferences.

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1

I have 4x4 here in Michigan but I find I rarely need to use it even in the winter. I've never used extra weight in my bed even on the stock SR-A's and I've been fine the past 4 winters in 2wd 95% of the time.

Edited by ShubiSnax

51 minutes ago, aseibel said:

where in WI are you?

I have been putting two bags of tube sand from menards in the far back, against the tailgate. This is more for ballast with my plow on, but it also helps with traction in 2hi. I have a 2x4 in the rear slot of the bed.

honestly, if you're driving on snow covered roads in 4hi, you don't need any additional weight. Extra weight only helps improve traction a bit when in 2hi.

I still have the stock crappy goodyear tires on and I drive in 2hi most of winter except when roads are icy. Even just regular light snow, i keep it in 2hi. If you drive within the limits of the conditions, and you know how to control the truck, you're without sand bags.

Some people leave it in 4auto all winter, then I don't think sandbags would make any noticeable difference. It really just depends on your driving style/preferences.

chippewa falls

it has some goodyear AT tires on it.

my wife drives it too so i thought id just leave it in Auto all winter.

2.jpg

2 minutes ago, djw88 said:

chippewa falls

it has some goodyear AT tires on it.

my wife drives it too so i thought id just leave it in Auto all winter.

no need to leave it in 4 auto all the time when roads are clear and dry. Its spinning more components in the front axle and reduces your fuel economy slightly.

though, if my wife was driving mine in snow, I'd tell her to put it in 4 auto.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, aseibel said:

no need to leave it in 4 auto all the time when roads are clear and dry. Its spinning more components in the front axle and reduces your fuel economy slightly.

though, if my wife was driving mine in snow, I'd tell her to put it in 4 auto.

I agree I'd tell my wife same thing ,she never seems to know when to use 4 hi. That why here AWD acaida is perfect for her.

this will be our first full winter with the truck (5.3 4x4 crew) 
do i need sandbags? i assume it would help. only ever used them in RWD cars.
Nah. I have a box in mine with plenty of weight. I even have the stock tires but at 33k miles I want my KO2's already!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have a 2wd 1500 work truck and use puzzle weights. Picked them up in 2009 ,I found them online and truck rides better with them. adds roughly 400 lbs. You just fill them with fine playground sand and your ready.

Edited by crankman