Chevy To Adjust Colorado ZR2 Airbags To Prevent Off-Road Deployment

Gorehamj

colorado zr2 airbag deployed Joe Finn looking at drivers entrance.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
11-8-2018

General Motors made an unusual request today of GM-Trucks.com. Our contact at the Chevy Truck department asked us to report that GM is launching a new campaign to adjust the sensitivity of the airbags in the Chevy Colorado ZR2. This is a refreshing change from the industry standard practice of soft-pedaling recalls and product programs. Here is the unedited information we were asked to convey:

As you are aware, there have been reports of Colorado ZR2 owners whose roof-mounted side airbags deployed while off-roading. Upon learning of this issue, Chevrolet took immediate action to understand the root cause and create a solution. Today, we notified Chevrolet dealers of a customer-satisfaction initiative to recalibrate the thresholds for the roof-mounted side airbags for ZR2 owners. The updated calibration is available as of today, and will be installed free of charge the next time the customers takes their ZR2 to a Chevrolet dealer. There have been 11 reports of Colorado ZR2 owners whose roof-mounted side airbags deployed while off-roading.  Chevrolet is working to reimburse those ZR2 customers for the cost of repair, provided the event data was available to confirm the incident. We are incredibly proud of the ZR2 and the off-road capability it offers, and are encouraged to see customers are using the truck as intended. If customers have questions, they should contact their local dealer or Chevrolet Customer Assistance at 800-833-2438

GM-Trucks.com readers may recall that in May we covered the news that owners were beginning to report that the airbags in their Colorado trucks were deploying while off-roading (and not in a crash). You can read the prior full report here and see more images. Our reporting leaned heavily on images and reports from GM-Truck.com member Joe F. Since Joe's information was made available, other owners have also reported the same problem. We will do our best to get new information from Joe F. and how he is reimbursed. 

Our thanks to GM for asking us to be involved in disseminating this important product update program.  

I’m happy to see GM responding to the issue.

Unfortunately, the ZR-2’s reputation has taken a bit of a beating as a result of the issue.

It’s amazing how much 11 instances of a problem, among thousands of trucks sold can get people talking. Base on how people were talking, I assumed there would have been more instances that were simply not being reported through the media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Sterling Hess said:

Wonder if they will extend the re-calibration to the Sierra/Silverados as well? I had mine deploy off roading on my 2015 Sierra....

Right now, the recall is only on ZR2 trucks, not other Colorado and Canyon trucks.  It's been well documented that the issue has occurred on non ZR2 trucks as well. 

Could you describe what was happening when the bags went off in your Sierra?  How fast were you driving?  Were there any significant angles involved?  Or was the truck simply jostling slightly going over some bumps?

10 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

Right now, the recall is only on ZR2 trucks, not other Colorado and Canyon trucks.  It's been well documented that the issue has occurred on non ZR2 trucks as well. 

Could you describe what was happening when the bags went off in your Sierra?  How fast were you driving?  Were there any significant angles involved?  Or was the truck simply jostling slightly going over some bumps?

GM took the truck and repaired it so the manufacture knows everything. It had 800 miles on it. They fixed everything but basically said don't off road it like that. :/ But it was on a slight sideways slope, and was bumpy, Speed was maybe 10-15 mph? it was 3 years ago. A same year Ram and my older Avalanche with side bags had no issue with the same run. Imho the rollover sensor was too sensitive, but far as I know no changes have been made. 

51 minutes ago, Sterling Hess said:

GM took the truck and repaired it so the manufacture knows everything. It had 800 miles on it. They fixed everything but basically said don't off road it like that. :/ But it was on a slight sideways slope, and was bumpy, Speed was maybe 10-15 mph? it was 3 years ago. A same year Ram and my older Avalanche with side bags had no issue with the same run. Imho the rollover sensor was too sensitive, but far as I know no changes have been made. 

I think this is why side by side ATVs now exist.  You used to be able to take a pickup truck off road, without worrying about it imploding, and self inflicting thousands of dollars of damage.  These days, so much on road safety tech and sensor driven traction management systems are being packed into trucks, taking them off road seems to make less and less sense. 

Edited by rkj__

28 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

I think this is why side by side ATVs now exist.  You used to be able to tack a pickup truck off road, without worrying about it imploding, and self inflicting thousands of dollars of damage.  These days, so much on road safety tech and sensor driven traction management systems are being packed into trucks, taking them off road seems to make less and less sense. 

I agree, the older trucks lack of safety features were better for offroading...I have 2 seat RZR I can put in the bed to offroad and beat up. It sucks when you break your daily driver haha. 

• 11 months later...