Rear window leak

Demon

I thought for sure I was going to end up with a leaky window this weekend. Drove 400 miles to my brother's house to pick something up. Drive up was fine. Only had a little bit of fog for a short distance. Just before I got to house I could see storm clouds to the east. They were obviously dropping snow on the mountaintops. Not a big deal to me. Took care of a few things, and right before I'm about to get into my truck and head home it starts to hail, which quickly turns into soft slush balls because it was too warm to be ice.

I then get in the truck to head home and I'm dealing with the slush, which turns into rain, then a strong sand storm that's blowing right to left, then more rain, then more wind, then more rain, and more wind, etc. I was fighting the steering wheel for about 300 miles back home. I thought the stresses on the truck from the weather would expose a weakness. I checked when I got home Saturday night, and again tonight, but still found nothing.

I may have won the lottery on this one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mercracing said:

Sorry for not being clearer. Brand new truck. No leaks yet. This thread has made me fairly nervous about the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brother, you're not alone.  But be it known, the problem is imho a design issue.  There are 16 holes in the roof under that rear spoiler.  In addition,  the rear window encasement is prone to cracking, something in the design has too much flex, recall those torsional rigidity commercials Chevrolet used to tout.  Torsional rigidity requires an engineer and apparently focus groups are designing vehicles these days and not engineers.   Everyone's truck is 100% susceptible to this leakage.    Driving rain and car wash probably OK.  Sitting outside in the rain for days, or covered in snow, you're gonna leak and it's going to ruin the vehicle. 

• Sad 1

TFL caught some 2022 test models out and about in Colorado this weekend. Maybe GM is finally getting this fixed, as it looks like the spoiler is a different color than the body of the truck here. ??‍♂️

78184069-7B44-4327-9D1B-F1DD0DF4A249.thumb.jpeg.e34e385d0139a9cdfba99b31ed80a75b.jpeg4360EF66-48CF-4063-8A58-A1E163FC25BA.thumb.jpeg.b1327cd37fad800d0c752e92dc7c613c.jpeg

Edited by econometrics
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mercracing said:

That’s a solid rear window also. One less leak point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Transient said:

None of the visible rear bumper has exhaust cutouts, so might be entry to mid level trim trucks, which might explain the absence of sliding rear windows on the test mules in that video.

Disregard the window. I was pointing out the fact that the spoiler is a different color than the body... which just MIGHT lead us to believe it is a new production part for 2022. 

2 hours ago, econometrics said:

TFL caught some 2022 test models out and about in Colorado this weekend. Maybe GM is finally getting this fixed, as it looks like the spoiler is a different color than the body of the truck here. ??‍♂️

78184069-7B44-4327-9D1B-F1DD0DF4A249.thumb.jpeg.e34e385d0139a9cdfba99b31ed80a75b.jpeg4360EF66-48CF-4063-8A58-A1E163FC25BA.thumb.jpeg.b1327cd37fad800d0c752e92dc7c613c.jpeg

Really the spoiler and all the holes associated with it are not the problem.   Yes some people had issues with the yellow retainer gasket and it seemed like it was the same retainer for most people.  Replace the gasket and it’s fine.   Even the one-time use nuts are fine to re-use.  I did and water tested and no leaks.  Although I did ultimately order new ones.   Putting extra sealant around the spoiler holes isn’t necessary imho as long as all the gaskets are fine.  Each hole has a GM gasket of some sort.  It really boils down to the plastic rear window frame.  

Here’s a different truck from the same video WITH the slider. Note the different color spoiler on that truck, too. 

I might be over-thinking this, but maybe it’s the hopeful side of me taking over. F6E91528-411B-481B-99B3-398AB0FC37F3.thumb.jpeg.9b067469b7356f9856cc12b84e87f98c.jpeg
Imo, the different color means nothing. It's the same style as MY2019-MY2021. Here's a pic of a my 2020 to compare with. Visually it's the same design. 096a53cf328fe2847aa61cd1d5c6b47f.jpg762fcbce91b3d24fb13895f105bf119b.jpg

Dropping mine off tonight.  They are going to water test it, then give me a call.  I plan to go in with the TSBs in hand, and discuss how they plan to address it.  

Dropped mine off yesterday

903c3f8063bc745e2ade1e2fcc794db6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro