Rear window leak

Demon

I got my truck back from the dealer on 8 Feb 2021. They had it for 15 days and replaced the entire 3rd brake assembly.  We had a very light rain for about 15 minutes last night. I had water in the cab again. So three days later and it leaked. I specifically asked the service writer if the checked it for leaks after the repair. I am not happy. I called Chevrolet customer care and opened a case file.

I have a 2021, discovered the leak due to this thread at 200 miles on the odometer (guessing it was always there).  Rained pretty hard the last few days and the leak is pretty bad on both sides.  Should I have the dealer repair now, or wait until a potential better solution is found?  

I am inclined to get it repaired now because it seems most likely that GM will continue to band-aid this situation for eternity.

Thoughts?

You can now add me to the ever growing list. Been raining off and on for the past couple of days here, and noticed 2 small beads of water on the inside of the rear window, passenger side. Headliner is dry, so I'm assuming it is the rear window and not spoiler bolt related. Does anyone know if they have to take down the whole headliner if they're just replacing the rear window?

Pretty discouraged, really. My truck was literally built 3 months ago, on 11/11/2020. Been a Honda guy for the past 20 years and decided to give Chevy a shot because I needed a truck. Hoping this is not a sign of other issues to come. Not a good start, Chevy. Not a good start lol.

Well guys I'm out. Did lemon law on my 2019 RST. 2 windows and two silicone repairs and still leaking. The arbitrator rule in my favor and GM will be forced to buy back my truck. Started leaking in Dec 2019. I would have fixed and stayed with GM, but dealer lied about removing carpet 3 times and drying it out. Mold.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

The downstream 2nd and 3rd owners of these trucks are going to be screwed.  Trucks will be out of warranty by then, and the dealers will be more than happy to temp fix the problem...for a price.  Short of an aftermarket repair, I see a lot of these trucks getting solid windows in the future.

29 minutes ago, Vicarod said:

The downstream 2nd and 3rd owners of these trucks are going to be screwed.  Trucks will be out of warranty by then, and the dealers will be more than happy to temp fix the problem...for a price.  Short of an aftermarket repair, I see a lot of these trucks getting solid windows in the future.

2nd owner here....2019 Denali...out of warranty by miles only, but I contacted GM and told GM it was a manufacturing defect(having found this thread) and that it was a safety concern because I was worried about mold, and other consumers could be potentially exposed without knowing, and they worked with my dealer to cover the repair. Had the service bulletin done, and it’s been 6 days so far. We had a really torrential rain 2days ago and no leaks....yet. 

1 hour ago, bfontenot9 said:

2nd owner here....2019 Denali...out of warranty by miles only, but I contacted GM and told GM it was a manufacturing defect(having found this thread) and that it was a safety concern because I was worried about mold, and other consumers could be potentially exposed without knowing, and they worked with my dealer to cover the repair. Had the service bulletin done, and it’s been 6 days so far. We had a really torrential rain 2days ago and no leaks....yet. 

I am really glad they did the right thing and stepped up to take care of your window.

GM is certainly aware of this problem...it's just that nobody knows how permanent the repair is yet.  A lot of people on this thread that have had several repair attempts. 

44 minutes ago, Vicarod said:

I am really glad they did the right thing and stepped up to take care of your window.

GM is certainly aware of this problem...it's just that nobody knows how permanent the repair is yet.  A lot of people on this thread that have had several repair attempts. 

Yeah...no window replacement yet. Just had the spoiler taken off and resealed...fingers crossed. I asked GM what it would take to constitute a recall and basically it had to be of major safety concern and enough people have to create claims/cases. If more people approach it from the mold toxicity and safety standpoint, I think there is a better chance of a recall...but then again it’s taking a class action lawsuit for the whole transmission fiasco in the 16-18 year models. I traded my 17 with transmission issues for this 19 with the leak. ??‍♀️  

21 hours ago, bfontenot9 said:

Yeah...no window replacement yet. Just had the spoiler taken off and resealed...fingers crossed. I asked GM what it would take to constitute a recall and basically it had to be of major safety concern and enough people have to create claims/cases. If more people approach it from the mold toxicity and safety standpoint, I think there is a better chance of a recall...but then again it’s taking a class action lawsuit for the whole transmission fiasco in the 16-18 year models. I traded my 17 with transmission issues for this 19 with the leak. ??‍♀️  

Well, you got the 10spd now, right?

I am starting to think that there are several causes for the leak that all manifest themselves in the same areas:

1. Cracked window frames

2. Sealant voids around window

3. Leaking spoiler fasteners

My rear window was replaced back in Aug. even though the frame wasn't cracked.  After they returned it to me, the leak was in a slightly different place, but still at the upper frame and it was worse.

Window guy came to my work and pulled headliner down (he cracked it) and then cap sealed all the bolts that hold the spoiler on.  He also added additional sealant to the frame of the window from the inside of the cab.  VERY sloppy work.  Leak free so far.  Just went out and checked, and it's been raining here for days in Savannah

I just feel if all three issues aren't addressed, you risk potential future leaks.  Not to say that these fixes are permanent, but I think the spoiler attach bolts leaking is a bigger deal than we realize.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vicarod said:

I am starting to think that there are several causes for the leak that all manifest themselves in the same areas:

1. Cracked window frames

My rear window was replaced back in Aug. even though the frame wasn't cracked.  After they returned it to me, the leak was in a slightly different place, but still at the upper frame and it was worse.

Window guy came to my work and pulled headliner down (he cracked it) and then cap sealed all the bolts that hold the spoiler on.  He also added additional sealant to the frame of the window from the inside of the cab.  VERY sloppy work.  Leak free so far.  Just went out and checked, and it's been raining here for days in Savannah

I just feel if all three issues aren't addressed, you risk potential future leaks.  Not to say that these fixes are permanent, but I think the spoiler attach bolts leaking is a bigger deal than we realize.

Mine’s been ok so far. Of course it’s only been cold here. I’ve been through a few car washes, which is when I noticed the first leak, and before winter started there was a decent day of rain, so I pulled it out in the driveway and left it outside for the day, no leak.When spring comes and we get a decent rain event I’ll take it out and continue to monitor. I’d really like to do a lift and exhaust on this truck. I do like it and would like to keep it for a while. I hope it doesn’t happen again. 

39 minutes ago, Vicarod said:

1. Cracked window frames

Yep. Got the 10 speed now. 
I agree...I think having all three addressed increases the likelihood of fixing the issue, but unfortunately they don’t want to address replacing the window until they try to reseal first. I’m pretty sure they replaced the bolts, crossing my fingers they at least sealed the new bolt connections. 
I got lucky and got a good technician. Did very good work. No damage to my truck. he had done a handful of trucks before mine, and they told me none have come back for secondary leaks. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bfontenot9 said:

Yep. Got the 10 speed now. 
I agree...I think having all three addressed increases the likelihood of fixing the issue, but unfortunately they don’t want to address replacing the window until they try to reseal first. I’m pretty sure they replaced the bolts, crossing my fingers they at least sealed the new bolt connections. 
I got lucky and got a good technician. Did very good work. No damage to my truck. he had done a handful of trucks before mine, and they told me none have come back for secondary leaks. 

Been following this for months, and have had the re-seal done so far.

Mine's been dry since this work, but am curious....

Maybe a dumb question, but would the solid window be problem free if the spoiler bolts are this big of an issue?

Not sure I fully understand how these 3 things inter-play....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paui4m said:

Been following this for months, and have had the re-seal done so far.

Mine's been dry since this work, but am curious....

Maybe a dumb question, but would the solid window be problem free if the spoiler bolts are this big of an issue?

Not sure I fully understand how these 3 things inter-play....

All sliders have the potential to leak. The early trucks had different nuts that held the spoiler down. Not sure exactly when but the design was changed on the nuts. They now seal better and are one time use.