In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Rear window leak

Demon

15 hours ago, Blue5.3l said:

On the quality of the work do you know if it was a small mom and pop place or a chain place doing the work? I believe the odds increase if it’s a mom and pop place doing the work. Even if the slider does leak again just the fact of no scratches, marks, sealant anywhere shows quality work. 

It was called Water Doctors. I think they are independently owned.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:20 AM, Transient said:

I've heard of lots of Explorer sunroof issues, but not the F150

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

By far, the main issue with Explorer sunroofs as far as operationally, is the sunroof motor going bad.  And it goes bad because of a water leak.   Drains get stopped up, motor is in the left front, water spills over into the motor and kills it. 

The tracks themselves, I've only replaced a few.  They really don't come in for the track itself being broke.  But the motors, that's almost every other one with a leak.  

On 4/12/2021 at 12:36 PM, Raymond378 said:

It was called Water Doctors. I think they are independently owned.

They are a franchise.  YMMV.   Just depends on whoever the local dude is.  Some are good, some are hacks.    About like anything else, really. 

Edited by Pacfanweb

On 4/6/2021 at 10:29 AM, BIGDOGx said:

I think those that have had it actually fixed you can see a clear difference in the way certain dealerships attack this problem. Most who have had a second hand glass company come and perform this fix have had good success which is no shocker here. Some dealerships have techs that care about the work they do, and some clearly are just collecting a paycheck and doing the bare minimal.

That guy a few pages back with what looks to me to be bathroom sealant white goop, is clear that it was done at a piss poor dealership service department. I think the people who just said f it and bought a non slider glass window are the smart ones here, time is money and going back to the dealership 3 times for this issue is not worth the hassle, 500-700 dollars is short money to get a non leaking truck imo. And yes i think gm should be fixing this issue but clearly now a year away from a major redesign that is never going to happen.

Yep, the difference is this:  This job pays 1.9 hrs by the TSB.   A tech who's never done one, he's going to struggle to beat that time, which is the name of the game.   So your mileage may vary, with regards to quality.  Also, while the TSB suggests the Kent sealer, it also says that's basically just a suggestion and there are other products.....which essentially means "use whatever you want".

Now it so happens I always carry the Kent and IMO it's the best choice....but other places might well use whatever silicone they have on hand.  

However, if they call in an outside vendor like me, or a glass company:  That's what we DO.   So we're naturally going to do it faster and better than any tech does, because we do this all the time.  

I'm a trained tech...went to community college back in the day, trained on engines, transmissions, etc.   I can rebuild your transmission for you....eventually.   And it might work.    But a tranny guy will run rings around me doing the same thing, and the quality will be much better.   That's what he does.  

Same concept with this.   

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 10:52 AM, Transient said:

It's not a major redesign. That's not how GM operates. It's a mild refresh, most likely just the front bumper and grille. Everybody hoping for a magic rear window fix will likely be disappointed. We should all be sure to be inviting and welcoming when the 22+ trucks start posting about their leaky rear window.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yep, they likely have loads of those glasses produced and sitting on the shelf.  They're not going to NOT use them, so expect this to continue for awhile. 

On 4/9/2021 at 11:24 AM, jeepincbum11 said:

Add me to the list. 18k miles.  Sealant attempted.  Failed.   Going back in for new window.  Mexico truck for anyone still tallying the results.

What i find hysterical is that they did a multi point inspection and did not provide me with results as stated on the document.

truck.jpg

truck1.jpg

New window install failed.  Basically they put the window in crooked.   There is a 1/4 inch gap on the left side near the spoiler and no gap on the right side.   Going back to dealer to have the 3rd party remove and fix the window yet again.

50 minutes ago, jeepincbum11 said:

New window install failed.  Basically they put the window in crooked.   There is a 1/4 inch gap on the left side near the spoiler and no gap on the right side.   Going back to dealer to have the 3rd party remove and fix the window yet again.

see above in Bold :)

My 2019 RST is also leaking from the rear window (driver's side), it's heading in for it's 4th attempt to repair next week. They're replacing the whole rear glass this time. 

Does anyone have a pdf of a successful repair procedure for this problem? 

Also, if this isn't fixable, what rights do we have in canada? 

My 2019 rst was purchased april 2020. Been leaking since the beginning. I can add build date if needed. 

Edited by Curtis22
More information

I know in the US each state is different when it comes to Lemon Law and Lemon Law attorneys. Not sure what it is called in Canada but I would do a Google search and see what your rights are. If you have an owners manual there may be Lemon Law rights listed or on a separate yellow card. Good luck.

Went in for my first rear window leak repair job last week, service rep said they've done a few now with success. 

The work invoice shows they applied hi-tech sealer to top of rear window and redid the spoiler bolts...per Chevy Bulletin 18-NA-383. 

Still leaking as much now (if not more) when I washed it a few days later.  Scheduled to return next week for round two! 

THIS SUCKS CHEVROLET, IT"S A DAMN SHAME....YOU ALMOST BUILT A GREAT TRUCK!

Considering all the comments and failed repair attempts I'm losing more confidence in CHEVROLET with every post!! 

I'll be spreading the word to be on the lookout with every Silverado owner I speak to! 

GREAT MARKETING CONCEPT, CHEVROLET!!!!! 

Edited by Spyderwebb
  • Like 1

Only right I have anymore is to repeatedly be inconvenienced by a never-ending leak. Oh, and the right to never buy another new GM.

Going in for my 3rd visit Monday. Pushing for replacement because I finally have a visible crack that cannot be patched up / covered up like they did the exterior cracks.

00ECC96F-07D9-4F9E-B9B4-BE0A92237E2A.thumb.jpeg.afdc467e048eee5f34b44e72fe248847.jpeg

• Sad 1

Mine went in for the 5th repair attempt yesterday.  This time they're replacing the rear window with a new one and they said they're gong to redo the spoiler for a 4th time.  I'm going to ask them for a water hose before I ever leave the lot.

Thanks to @Jeepincbum55 I'll make sure I check the level on the rear window replacement when I pick it up.