In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Rear window leak

Demon

22 minutes ago, BamaBen said:

Mine went in for the 5th repair attempt yesterday.  This time they're replacing the rear window with a new one and they said they're gong to redo the spoiler for a 4th time.  I'm going to ask them for a water hose before I ever leave the lot.

Thanks to @Jeepincbum55 I'll make sure I check the level on the rear window replacement when I pick it up. 

What is up with my account?   oye.  It appears my tapatalk account for this site is out of sync with my browser account.   Anywho....  Jeepincbum11 and 55 are me   :) 

As for the GAP.  It was a huge difference between left and right.  You can see the frame behind the window near the drivers side top of the glass compared to the passenger side.   The arrows are sitting on the spoiler where the spoiler stops and the window is supposed to start.

I asked the dealer if they were happy with the work of the third party glass shop and the service guy is like "HUH".   Service guy didn't even check it out.   So i walked him out and said, what are we going to do about this?   He didn't know how to reply.  So back to the dealer it goes to get the window removed and or reset or replaced.

What sucks is this one doesn't leak (YET)  :) 

gap.jpg

gap2.jpg

Went in for my first rear window leak repair job last week, service rep said they've done a few now with success. 
The work invoice shows they applied hi-tech sealer to top of rear window and redid the spoiler bolts...per Chevy Bulletin 18-NA-383. 
Still leaking as much now (if not more) when I washed it a few days later.  Scheduled to return next week for round two! 

THIS SUCKS CHEVROLET, IT"S A DAMN SHAME....YOU ALMOST BUILT A GREAT TRUCK!

Considering all the comments and failed repair attempts I'm losing more confidence in CHEVROLET with every post!! 
I'll be spreading the word to be on the lookout with every Silverado owner I speak to! 

GREAT MARKETING CONCEPT, CHEVROLET!!!!! 

GM*** owners. It’s both Chevy and GMC trucks that leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

So my saga may have finally ended...

After the 5th repair attempt, it is NOT leaking.  They replaced the entire back glass and remounted the spoiler again.  After major rain here all day, it bone dry in the cab.  I did check the glass install and it's level and square.  The only different thing that I can see is a bead of clear sealant was run between the top of the glass and the cab frame.  You wouldn't notice it if you didn't know it was there.

So maybe...just maybe...my 2 year issue is over.  We'll see how long it holds up.

As for GM, they have until the 26th to respond to our demand letter.  I will have to decide to move forward with a suit or drop the case if I don't hear from them after Monday.  It's been in repair for 41 days total, which triggers the law in Alabama.

So my saga may have finally ended...

After the 5th repair attempt, it is NOT leaking.  They replaced the entire back glass and remounted the spoiler again.  After major rain here all day, it bone dry in the cab.  I did check the glass install and it's level and square.  The only different thing that I can see is a bead of clear sealant was run between the top of the glass and the cab frame.  You wouldn't notice it if you didn't know it was there.

So maybe...just maybe...my 2 year issue is over.  We'll see how long it holds up.

As for GM, they have until the 26th to respond to our demand letter.  I will have to decide to move forward with a suit or drop the case if I don't hear from them after Monday.  It's been in repair for 41 days total, which triggers the law in Alabama.
Maybe you finally got a Bama fan to fix your truck instead of somebody who supports Auburn or LSU

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

Just came across this again after testing it several times with no leak and washed my truck not to long after seeing this poll, now it's leaking on the passenger side. I don't see any damage to the headliner, or carpet on inspection just a small leak from the rail for the slider.

The truck is a 1/20 build Silverado RST with rear slider and defrost.

I also noticed 9 cracks, yes NINE CRACKS!, on the rail visible from the inside of the truck when looking at the slider from the passenger side.

I never go in that seat so I don't know when it started, all I know is the last time I inspected it was in February/March of this year with no cracks or leak and now yesterday found them. Hopefully it just started and this is resolved quickly.

I hope the dealer can see it today so it can get parked inside or plastic covered, they have to call me to schedule it because of the potential service time, can't just walk in unfortunately.

Ugh. Fingers crossed that it will be replaced due to being able to see cracks and the new bolts installed for the spoiler since they aren't reusable.

Mine goes back in to the dealer tomorrow. I took it there after telling them the problem, last week. They called me first thing in the morning and tell me there’s a TSB for that problem (no kidding) and they have to order bolts.

So I drove it in there, left it overnight for them to do that!!!!!?!??!.

Anyway, bolts are in. Getting “fixed” tomorrow. Why do I get the feeling this is the beginning of a long painful saga?

Hope I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read thru the thread pretty extensively since my leak started. Ugh my luck.

I really don't want to go down lemon road with this truck over something so simple but yet obviously something gm is somehow struggling with.

I lemoned my 2018 f150 and got my 2020 rst. I LOVE THIS TRUCK so much more then the Ford and don't want to lose it over this crap, but if it isn't fixed under nj lemon law guidelines then it may be a last resort. I have a year and 14k miles left so there's hope, I had 4 months from issue continuation on the f150 and just dumped it.

So my observation seems to be: 

2 leaks, 1 on the broken slider or 1 in the spoiler. The second of which is less common.

A select number of leaks are fixed with the sealant, but some seem to leak still

Most seem ok with a replaced window provided it's installed professionally

Others get relief from the non slider being installed.

So with what is going on with my truck I hope that the window is replaced from the get go. 9 cracks are visible inside the cab and went there when tested last month out of precaution or even visible in the past rain storms. I then would like to see the tsb done on the new window.

If that fails then I will try and either get it fixed again or just shell out the 500ish bucks for the non slider from a local glass shop. That seems to be the best fix to the crap issue if the new window fails imo and I didn't even want the slider, I just wanted Sirius and the garage opener lol.

So for those that had gone with the non slider option, out of preparedness I have a few questions. @Leevon I saw you did this. Any news?

1, what did you pay?

2, how has it helt up?

3, did you have to modify a wiring harness or just pull the fuse for the slider?

I just want a confirmation on that stuff so I know what needs to be done in a worst case scenario so I can get my truck back.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Bigfoot98
More info

3 hours ago, Bigfoot98 said:

I read thru the thread pretty extensively since my leak started. Ugh my luck.

I really don't want to go down lemon road with this truck over something so simple but yet obviously something gm is somehow struggling with.

I lemoned my 2018 f150 and got my 2020 rst. I LOVE THIS TRUCK so much more then the Ford and don't want to lose it over this crap, but if it isn't fixed under nj lemon law guidelines then it may be a last resort. I have a year and 14k miles left so there's hope, I had 4 months from issue continuation on the f150 and just dumped it.

So my observation seems to be: 

2 leaks, 1 on the broken slider or 1 in the spoiler. The second of which is less common.

A select number of leaks are fixed with the sealant, but some seem to leak still

Most seem ok with a replaced window provided it's installed professionally

Others get relief from the non slider being installed.

So with what is going on with my truck I hope that the window is replaced from the get go. 9 cracks are visible inside the cab and went there when tested last month out of precaution or even visible in the past rain storms. I then would like to see the tsb done on the new window.

If that fails then I will try and either get it fixed again or just shell out the 500ish bucks for the non slider from a local glass shop. That seems to be the best fix to the crap issue if the new window fails imo and I didn't even want the slider, I just wanted Sirius and the garage opener lol.

So for those that had gone with the non slider option, out of preparedness I have a few questions. @Leevon I saw you did this. Any news?

1, what did you pay?

2, how has it helt up?

3, did you have to modify a wiring harness or just pull the fuse for the slider?

I just want a confirmation on that stuff so I know what needs to be done in a worst case scenario so I can get my truck back.

Thanks in advance

I did it myself, so the cost was the window and materials, if I recall  less than $300.  If you're not experienced with this kind of DIY I would find a glass company.  There are some specialty tools.  I sold the truck, but I am 100% sure it was a permanent fix.  No mods, the window regulator / cable assembly got thrown in the trash so no need to pull a fuse.  Hope that helps.  This is nuclear option though, if you're willing to go that route, just seal it up correctly first.  IT CAN BE DONE.  The dealers are just doing a piss poor job.  

Just got an update for my truck.

Even with 9 cracks gm won't approve a new window. Cheap [email protected]*&suckers.

So they are having their body guys do the window seal tsb.

They also found the previous dealer that I had issues with didn't properly fix their screwed up alignment. Instead of correcting the out toe on the right side they put them both out to make the truck go straight. So now for the bast 1.8k miles I was driving on the outside edges of the tires so they are rotating and did an alignment on my dime again but they gave me the report and she is perfectly straight. And I never have to pay for an alignment again so that's nice too.

They said they'll have the new bolts tomorrow but the seal is complete and it will be water tested after the cure time. Honestly don't know what to think about they whole ordeal. Really wanted a new window and the tsb done to it but we'll see what happens.

Thanks @Leevon

Hope it doesn't come to it but of I have to I will have the local glass shop do it.

I want to keep the truck and if it means shelling out 500 with labor to keep it I'll just keep calling gm and harass them into free stuff or something if possible and have it done.

It's just such a stupid [email protected]<×÷$# design they made with the window frame and I can't figure out why they won't fix it. 

2 hours ago, Bigfoot98 said:

Even with 9 cracks gm won't approve a new window.

Wow.  That's hard to believe.  Is there any way to escalate that decision to a higher level?  I know once, a long time ago, there was something like a regional manager that was the next step if the dealer wasn't getting it right.  Probably don't exist any longer, but unless the cracks are just cosmetic, which I can't see how that could be, I can understand why they won't replace the assembly.  Unless, maybe they have none?