1500 6.2L not running right

The dipstick is a pain in the ass. Check the oil when cold, on a garage floor, gas station etc. level as possible. And DONT push the dipstick in all of the way. Go until it stops but don't actually seat it. Only way I get accurate readings...

The oil in this gen truck gets incredibly black, you cant use this to gauge oil life. My truck has had rough idle since day one. Same as my dad's 6.2 and friends 6.2. Valve train is noisy, high pressure fuel pump is noisy.

Edited by M1ck3y
  • Like 1

Just some notes from my '18 6.2L experience so far:

- I've never been able to fit 8qt of fresh oil in after draining the old stuff and replacing the filter. 7qts is a lot closer to what it seems to take.

- I have also noticed the dip stick only reads from one side. I can't explain it, but that's what I see. Even cold. 0/20w seems really hard to read. Its like water.

- After adding ~6qts new, I drive it around some (about 2 miles), let it sit for 30min+, and then recheck level. Once, I needed to add another quart, once it stayed full. My old GMs always took another quart after the quick drive. 

- between new and first change (2k), I didn't watch the oil level. Between the first and second oil change (7k miles), it burned 2qts. Between the second and third (5k) it didn't burn anything, but I added a CatchCan at the second oil change, and I've dumped that twice with about 8oz of sludge/oil. Seems to have stopped burning oil, so maybe that was break in. 

My truck is the 5.3 2012, so a different motor.

My manual calls for 6 quarts with filter.

Doing this on a cold overnight check, truck level it reads over filled on the dip stick by about an eight of a inch.

Checking it when warmed up it's on the full mark.

You do as you like, it's your truck.

:)

Make sure your oil doesn’t smell like gasoline. A few users have reported oil level suddenly increasing and smells like fuel. The high pressure fuel pump is under the intake and when it fails will dump fuel into your crankcase. 

• 3 years later...
On 12/8/2018 at 6:31 PM, Logroller said:

No need for fuel addivtives or fuel cleaners. I’m 99% sure the noise was due to oil being over full. It’s incredibly stupid how different the dipstick will read from 30mins after running the motor to a few hours later. Just need to figure out this freaking dipstick so I can get real oil readings. Annoying ******.

Manual calls for 8 quarts, no one ever had an issue with an over-filled condition by doing so.