2016 silverado 6sp transmission service

I have a 2016 silverado with a 6sp with 67k on it. I have yet to touch the transmission for any services besides checking the level. The dealer said that there isn't a filter and that they flush it with a machine. I don't think that sounds right with no filter. What is a proper service. I'd rather not pay the dealer $200 to flush it when I could drop the pan and swap the filter myself. I know that there is still fluid in TC and valves

There is a filter and dont machine flush the trans.  Theres a write up somewhere on here on pulling the trans line on the cooler and letting the trans push out all while adding new fluid.  Machines usually put pressure in the trans to force fluid out which can really screw up a trans.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drabe3 said:

I have a 2016 silverado with a 6sp with 67k on it. I have yet to touch the transmission for any services besides checking the level. The dealer said that there isn't a filter and that they flush it with a machine. I don't think that sounds right with no filter. What is a proper service. I'd rather not pay the dealer $200 to flush it when I could drop the pan and swap the filter myself. I know that there is still fluid in TC and valves

Your dealer is wrong. It most certainly has a filter. I've change mine twice. Factory pan holds six quarts with or without a filter change. System capacity is 12.5 quarts so you are changing roughly half on each change. GM filter is more than fine. 

Swapping you pan for a PML alloy factory volume or tanking the time to weld in a bung (while off the truck) will give you a drain plug. You will service it more often if you don't have to disassemble your truck to do it....right? 

Your about 20K over the severe service change point and IMHO factory fluid IS severe service. Factory fluid is a Group III. AMSOIL or Red Line D6 even at half the volume is an upgrade. AMSOIL is a Group III/PAO blend. Red Line is a PAO/Ester blend. 

It will take six changes to remove a minimum of 90% of the old fluid by the drop and fill method. That's 36 quarts. It will take over a CRUDE OIL BARRLE (42 gallons) of fluid to reach that displacement with a pressure flush and they use the cheapest crap they can to fill the system with. Worse than factory fill. :seeya:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Your dealer is wrong. It most certainly has a filter. I've change mine twice. Factory pan holds six quarts with or without a filter change. System capacity is 12.5 quarts so you are changing roughly half on each change. GM filter is more than fine. 

Swapping you pan for a PML alloy factory volume or tanking the time to weld in a bung (while off the truck) will give you a drain plug. You will service it more often if you don't have to disassemble your truck to do it....right? 

Your about 20K over the severe service change point and IMHO factory fluid IS severe service. Factory fluid is a Group III. AMSOIL or Red Line D6 even at half the volume is an upgrade. AMSOIL is a Group III/PAO blend. Red Line is a PAO/Ester blend. 

It will take six changes to remove a minimum of 90% of the old fluid by the drop and fill method. That's 36 quarts. It will take over a CRUDE OIL BARRLE (42 gallons) of fluid to reach that displacement with a pressure flush and they use the cheapest crap they can to fill the system with. Worse than factory fill. :seeya:

So I'm at ~65k on my '15 6L80E. Had many 4L60E's in the past, this is my first 6L80E. I would typically fill/flush at the 75k mark, and have had good success with that routine. 65k seems a touch early to me.

Your suggestion would be to drop the pan, add a bung, replace the filter, and refill with Amsoil/RedLine D6? Anything else to do while I'm in there?

There is a filter as mentioned, you can drop the pan and get the remaining fluid out with a transfer pump that doesn't come out when you separate the pan. You can reach in and grab the magnet to clean it and pull the filter down and out without removing the exhaust or undoing the transmission mount and using the ratchet strap method.

The pan will rest on the exhaust while you do this just be careful with the gasket.

Edited by uood8

Well I talked to another dealer today and he said there is definitely a filter in there. I had planned on finding a new dealer anyways due to another issue with the one that sold the truck. I’ll be replacing it this weekend