Anyone lost brakes besides me.

New to forum.  This may be somewhere else.  Have a 2019 Silverado 1500 RST Crew Cab.  Backing out of gas station brakes went to - felt like 5% power.  Luckily nobody behind me.  Decided to continue to drive with almost no brakes calculating stopping distances.  Turned off for 30 minutes and everything went back to normal.

Anticipate some recalls or software updates with the new braking technology.

• Like 1

We might have had the same issue. I lost power assist for a few minutes on my loaner, backing out of my driveway. It felt pretty much how you describe. It would stop but it seemed to take a lot longer and a lot less responsive. The information center gave a “service brake assist” warning and the check engine light stayed on for a day, even after the brakes came back. There are others that have had this issue and there is a TSB for it but I don’t know if the problem is solved. I haven’t had the issue in my own truck yet.

You've documented on a public forum that your truck has brake issues and continue to drive it hoping maybe it won't happen again.

If it were my truck it would be at the dealer to be fixed and I'd be stacking miles on their loaner.

No start. No problem. Wonky transmission. It'll still move. Wonky brakes. No way I'm driving it.

A year and a half ago I hit something in the road that cut the left rear brake flex hose in half while I was travelling 70 MPH. The redundant safety of the dual master cylinder allowed me to get the truck stopped. $150.00 dollars for the repair including labor, $150.00 dollars for the new seat cover....

Even at today ridiculous prices, I 'm still worth more than any truck.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mine did this a couple of nights ago. Had very little for brakes till I got home, about 4 miles. Next morning everything seemed fine except check engine light was on. That evening when I got off work the check engine light was no longer on. Was also  showing service trailer brake system and service ESC. Going to dealer tomorrow afternoon.

brake.jpg

Took to dealer yesterday. Had to leave for a couple of hours, when I got back they said that GM said that the master cylinder and something else needed replaced. Seemed to be some confusion as to when part would be available. It appears that the parts may not be available to fix at this time. Said that they would call me when they knew more. Bad enough that something needs replace already, really sad that when something does need replaced that they don't even have the parts available to do it.

This has been an issue since the T1 launched. They are replacing the assembly. There were some issues during manufacturing that allowed metal debris from machining to get trapped inside of it. The issue has been corrected but there are alot of early built trucks that could have the issue. Shouldn't take too long to get the replacement though.

This literally just happened to me about an hour ago in my Trail Boss. I was at a stop light and I started hearing a loud clicking sound near my foot on the brake. It stopped when I released the pedal to take off for the green light. The warning lights for brake system failure, service ESC, traction control off, and service trailer brake system came on. As the car in front of me started to turn right I couldn’t stop without standing on the brake and that didn’t work well. I tapped the back and chipped the bumper. It didn’t do anything to them. I was trying to turn in as well because the lights came on. Had to get towed to the dealer. I’m so pissed that GM would let some crap like this go under the radar. This is beyond negligent if they are aware of this issue. Brakes are the most important safety system on a vehicle. This situation is going to end up really bad for someone and almost did for me. Luckily I keep an extremely safe distance from cars in front of me and wasn’t going at high speed yet. Hey GM, maybe you should keep all those employees you’re putting out of jobs and get them to help fix problems like BRAKES! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We own a 2019 Silverado 1500, bought on 12/19/18, today while attempting to come to a stop at an intersection, the brake pedal became very spongy and I rolled into the intersection before I was able to fully compress the pedal almost to the floor. This is an issue that needs to be fixed now.

Edited by montec7

I've had this experience before, but previous generation GM Trucks- GMT-800 & 900.  Most noticeable while going over a bump or manhole or something while applying the brakes.. sometimes the ABS seems to want to try to kick in too.  Trying to push down harder provides more resistance but still not stopping better.  It's a WTH! moment.