Anyone lost brakes besides me.

3 hours ago, tuna mac said:

You still have the mechanical push through on the brakes. Not power assisted obviously at that point but it’s still there. 

Well that would sure give you a warm fuzzy feeling while towing the travel trailer down from the mountains with your wife and kids in the truck

Edited by 1997SierraSLT

Going through this exact issue as well. Warnings illuminated at start. Thought I would be able to limp it home. Left my parking spot and had little to no brakes. Had the truck towed to the dealership. They will have had it 7 days tomorrow. To add insult to injury I have a 4" lift on my AT4! I live rurally so most of my driving is 55mph and over on Highways. Does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling for survival for anyone I hit if my brakes fail at those speeds. Absolutely terrified to put my kids in this truck!! Has anyone found something to fix this? Failed a complaint with NHTSA and opened a claim with GM. My dealership is amazing and doing everything they can but their hands are tied with GM. So it sits!

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

3 hours ago, slednchick said:

Going through this exact issue as well. Warnings illuminated at start. Thought I would be able to limp it home. Left my parking spot and had little to no brakes. Had the truck towed to the dealership. They will have had it 7 days tomorrow. To add insult to injury I have a 4" lift on my AT4! I live rurally so most of my driving is 55mph and over on Highways. Does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling for survival for anyone I hit if my brakes fail at those speeds. Absolutely terrified to put my kids in this truck!! Has anyone found something to fix this? Failed a complaint with NHTSA and opened a claim with GM. My dealership is amazing and doing everything they can but their hands are tied with GM. So it sits!

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

What year model is your truck? I had a 19 Silverado RST brakes went out on the second day I owned it which was August 23. I went through BBB and the vehicle was Lemon ? Lawed and took 4 months to get a new vehicle on December 23rd. 123 days without the Z71 before I picked up my 2020 GMC Elevation. GM fought me every day even though I only had possession of the first one I bought less than 36 hours. People on here don’t understand how important the brakes are until they don’t have any. It’s an uphill fight but good luck. I paid 4 payments on a vehicle I didn’t even have. 

2 hours ago, Philip said:

What year model is your truck? I had a 19 Silverado RST brakes went out on the second day I owned it which was August 23. I went through BBB and the vehicle was Lemon ? Lawed and took 4 months to get a new vehicle on December 23rd. 123 days without the Z71 before I picked up my 2020 GMC Elevation. GM fought me every day even though I only had possession of the first one I bought less than 36 hours. People on here don’t understand how important the brakes are until they don’t have any. It’s an uphill fight but good luck. I paid 4 payments on a vehicle I didn’t even have. 

Mine is a 2019 GMC AT4. How did you go about getting the vehicle Lemon lawed? 

5 minutes ago, Nikki S said:

I have the 2019 GMC AT4 also. They told me it was a faulty master cylinder

If you read back on this thread many have been told the same thing. Master Cylinder was replaced and the brakes failed again. 

40 minutes ago, tuna mac said:

For those that have had the brake failure, how does it manifest exactly? Does it give out right when you press the brake pedal? Or does it happen mid way through trying to stop?

I came out of a movie, started the truck and immediately got four messages

Brake system failure top 62mph top speed

Service ESC

Service trailer brake system

Steering assist is reduced Drive with care 

I figured I could limp it the 10 miles home (divided highway) but as soon as I pulled out of my parking spot and started to make the right turn I realized I had very little brakes. Pulled into an empty lot (took about 5 ft to stop going 10mph)

Had it towed to the dealership. They reset the computer but told me there isn't a specific "fix" according to GM they did what was necessary but couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again. Well I refuse to put my kids in a vehicle that may or may not have brakes. I have read that some had failure while driving. Looks like Master Cylinder's have been replaced, brake modules have been reprogrammed and have failed again after that. Mine has been there 7 days today and will sit until I get some reassurance that they've identified the problem and actually fixed it. 

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:19 PM, tuna mac said:

For those that have had the brake failure, how does it manifest exactly? Does it give out right when you press the brake pedal? Or does it happen mid way through trying to stop?

All four times that mine has failed it was on an engine start, never while vehicle was in motion.

Well, add me to the list of lost brakes. Completely different symptoms from the previous 18 pages. I was going 35 mph and hit my brakes coming up to a T intersection where my road was ending. The brakes pulsed once and the dash said ABS Assist and then the brakes no longer engaged with the pedal pressed to the floor. Luckily, no one was coming as I took the turn at 25. Next tap of the brakes they worked. 3rd in section, I was going slow enough I made the turn off the main road. I then had to jump the curb into a snowy field to stop because I has 0% brakes with the abs assist lit up. Turned it off for 5 minutes and it all worked like it should. This was at 11 pm last night so I made it home knowing the dealerships were closed and would be today. I bought my 19 sierra slt at the beginning of Dec with 3500 miles as it was the service loaner and now has almost 6000. What a scary experience for my wife and 2 friends that were with me.

10 hours ago, Booger T said:

All four times that mine has failed it was on an engine start, never while vehicle was in motion.

So I am having this same problem.CEL came on, towed to dealer etc. Then I started reading up on this new braking system as I don't know why GM felt the need to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place...

These system issues remind me a bit of the Boeing 737 MAX.

What it sounds like is, essentially, when you push the brakes you aren't directly converting your physical energy exerted on the pedal into hydraulic pressure.... Your pedal runs code that tells the computer to exert hydraulic pressure on to the braking system.

This brake unit also controls stability control systems and other things. I have seen other posts about shaking at higher speeds... It wouldnt surprise me if there are bugs in the stability control code causing this (speculation of course).

I'm sure GM saved a ton of money going to this consolidated unit.

In any event, all of these companies use $8/ hour programmers from developing countries like India to write their code....

I only have 150 miles on my truck and I am dumping this thing ASAP and I suggest everyone here do the same thing. There WILL be a massive recall on this thing and I could see this blowing up as big as the Takata airbag recall if it is like how I think it is...

The part that is curious to me is that there are hundreds of thousands of these trucks on the road at this point. If it was a purely software issue, and they all have the same software loaded, then I would think way more people would have issues with this, but there are people with thousands of miles on theirs with no issues. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tuna mac said:

The part that is curious to me is that there are hundreds of thousands of these trucks on the road at this point. If it was a purely software issue, and they all have the same software loaded, then I would think way more people would have issues with this, but there are people with thousands of miles on theirs with no issues. 

Welcome to the GM brake control unit open beta program! If you receive any error messages while driving please do not attempt to record them as brake failure may occur. All open beta participants and their children must have professional stunt training and be required to leap from a moving vehicle at no less than 40MPH. Thank you for your participation!

There is no reason why today’s electronics heavy vehicles can’t record every instance an indicator lights up on the instrument cluster signaling a malfunction/fault.

GM simply chooses to not incorporate this logic into their software.  It’s more economical for GM to simply tell you, “sorry, unable to duplicate”

Works out well for GM when you total your truck and innocent people get killed.  As the lawsuits start to pile up for faulty braking and steering issues, GM lawyers will simply say, “prove it”