Anyone lost brakes besides me.

Was hoping I never did but I had a similar issue recently when pulling a trailer. Loaded up I had zero problems but on the way back with no load, I came to a stop sign twice and the brake pedal was hard as concrete with almost no travel. I rolled into the intersection both times while mashing the pedal. Luckily I live in a small town with very little traffic. No errors or dash lights, I haven't had the recent recalls done because they made me worried they would cause other issues as people have posted.

Edit, currently at 2900 miles with build date April 17 2019.

Edited by batman900

Same thing happened to me Christmas Eve. Remote started the truck, once inside and hitting start/stop I got all the same warning messages everyone else described, service esc, reduced speed, etc. I tried driving out of the parking lot and the brakes were stiff and truck stopped like it was on ice. Turned off and on a few times and squeezed my brake controller (not sure if that helped) and luckily got brake power back but check engine light. Not to mention this all happened with my family in the car while on a holiday trip over 700 mi away from home. I took it to a Chevy dealer in down the day after Christmas. They called after a few hours with the truck, said it needed a new master cylinder and got the repair done by the next day. It’s only been a few days but all ok. I’ve owned GMs for many years and as frustrating as this is, I was fortunate that it was quickly repaired as many others had to wait months. I guess by now Chevy has finally figured out the issue and has TSBs out to dealers. Although, this is my 3rd repair in 3 months of ownership and one issue is still unresolved. My intellilink began resetting randomly and I got flickering camera issues within the first few weeks of ownership. They’ve replaced the Stereo unit which didn’t fix the issue, then the screen and now the brake issue. Intellilink still not fixed. Contacted customer service blah, blah, blah. So far not a very happy owner, but when everything works I love the truck. I’m too stubborn to go buy a dodge or f-150 but I might be getting close to jumping ship. I’ve usually owned all my trucks well past 100,000 mi. My new truck has been in the shop more than my other 2 Chevys I drove a combined 17 years. I’ll be hard pressed to keep this one much past 50,000 unless I go problem free for the remainder of my warranty. 

Edited by bobboberton1

On 12/27/2019 at 8:51 PM, slednchick said:

If you read back on this thread many have been told the same thing. Master Cylinder was replaced and the brakes failed again. 

Well this just happened to me for the 4th time.   I picked up my truck Friday after they replaced the master cylinder and (2) other components that make up the brake system.   I was told the entire brake system assembly was replaced.   I drove it probably 500miles with no issue.    BUT,  I was 100 miles from home On my way back earlier today and you guessed it,  no brakes. I restarted (3) times and the lights messages went away (check engine is still on) and brakes came back.    

Likely I didn’t trust this truck and my wife followed me in her car the entire way with my kids (which sucked for a trip of this length).    But I needed a truck for a trailer where I was going and also needed to bring a large load up.   I looked into renting but WTF should I need to do that with a 5 month old AT4.   

The reprogramming didn’t fix it,  the new brake components didn’t fix it!!!!!!

so now what? 

Edited by SpiderMA

1 hour ago, SpiderMA said:

Well this just happened to me for the 4th time.   I picked up my truck Friday after they replaced the master cylinder and (2) other components that make up the brake system.   I was told the entire brake system assembly was replaced.   I drove it probably 500miles with no issue.    BUT,  I was 100 miles from home On my way back earlier today and you guessed it,  no brakes. I restarted (3) times and the lights messages went away (check engine is still on) and brakes came back.    

Likely I didn’t trust this truck and my wife followed me in her car the entire way with my kids (which sucked for a trip of this length).    But I needed a truck for a trailer where I was going and also needed to bring a large load up.   I looked into renting but WTF should I need to do that with a 5 month old AT4.   

The reprogramming didn’t fix it,  the new brake components didn’t fix it!!!!!!

so now what? 

Another fix floating around has been the idea of a low voltage problem due to Battery issues etc. Have the dealership check the connections and test out the battery. If the software updates have been completed and they have replaced the Integrated Brake Controller or Master Cylinder,  maybe a new problem has arisen or it's time to pursue a Buyback.

8 hours ago, Rocz3cqg said:

Another fix floating around has been the idea of a low voltage problem due to Battery issues etc. Have the dealership check the connections and test out the battery. If the software updates have been completed and they have replaced the Integrated Brake Controller or Master Cylinder,  maybe a new problem has arisen or it's time to pursue a Buyback.

Thanks for the reply.  They did test my battery a week ago after the 2nd time I lost brakes. And they changed the battery at that time.    So that “fix” doesn’t work either. 

1 hour ago, SpiderMA said:

Thanks for the reply.  They did test my battery a week ago after the 2nd time I lost brakes. And they changed the battery at that time.    So that “fix” doesn’t work either. 

Thanks. Please keep us updated because you are the first that practically has everything done but still experiences a brake failure. If you can find out what they replaced, would be a great help for everyone. The ZF IBC [Integrated Brake Controller] is the device to control the boost and hydraulic pressure. I believe the Brake Control Module [BCM] is also integrated into the IBC for the 1 package. If it is not, I would like to know [the dealer would had to replace the IBC or master cylinder and then the separate module BCM].

On 12/3/2019 at 1:00 AM, Steve Dewitt said:

Well guys, I posted back in October about my brakes failing with no codes.  Dealer had it for a week and could not duplicate.  I had to take it back.  Guess what... it did it again 2 weeks later with no codes once again.  Its been at the Dealer since Nov 8th, and they still havent fixed it, they have drive my truck over 300 miles now.  I only had 8k on it.  Anyway, GM is hard to work with,  many calls to Tier 2 doesnt help at all.  GM once again said they cant diagnose or repair and I was to pick it up and risk my life again.  I refused, and  I went ahead and emailed the CEO of GM (Mary Barra) directly last week describing my problem and service received from her company, this morning I got a call from the Executive office of GM.  They already were researching my case before they called me this morning and talked to the dealer and District Manager (that was a breath of fresh air and a great change of events).  They were just as frightened about my brake issue as I am.  They will be contacting me this week about “the next step” not sure what that means.  But they said my case has now been escalated to the executive level.  Anyway... hope my truck becomes confidently safe again, cuz my wife refuses to ride in it as of now.  Also, I dont have a loaner either because of some state law saying I cant have one for more than 30 days.  So my wife and I are sharing hers now.  Pretty nice for a 62k truck huh ?.  Its just comical to me now... if I dont laugh Id be pissed.  

Steve, good luck with the GM brass.  I had zero luck with them.  Had me escalated up to highest levels.  My dealership was the one that delivered with an extended brake warranty and reimbursement for payments while it sat for 87 days waiting on parts.  GM as a company didn't do anything for me.  I opened a BBB case and was headed to arbitration when the part finally arrived.  I decided to change it to a settlement.  After that GM never responded to me and denied any type of settlement.  Even thought they act sympathetic they are not.  They don't care and these are stall tactics.  My question never go answered... why are building trucks every day with this part but they cannot get one to my dealership to fix my vehicle?  Never got an answer to that. Please let us know your status.  Your issues and are mine were exactly the same with no failure errors or lights.

Hey there. I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but my 2019 Trail Boss LT w/ 7k just exhibited the same symptoms on 12-26-19 and went to the dealership the following day where the tech “charged the battery”. Today on 01-02-20, it did it again and I’m awaiting a call from the dealership.

My concern is two part: is this related to the recall fixes which were done two weeks prior? And in both instances of my ESC issue, I started my truck with the Chevrolet App vs. the key FOB. Just a thought....

5 hours ago, DenaliDonkey said:

Hey there. I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but my 2019 Trail Boss LT w/ 7k just exhibited the same symptoms on 12-26-19 and went to the dealership the following day where the tech “charged the battery”. Today on 01-02-20, it did it again and I’m awaiting a call from the dealership.

My concern is two part: is this related to the recall fixes which were done two weeks prior? And in both instances of my ESC issue, I started my truck with the Chevrolet App vs. the key FOB. Just a thought....

I can replicate these brake system errors by starting my truck with the Chevrolet App. I plan on showing the service manager at the dealership on Tuesday when I take my truck in.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:38 AM, Rocz3cqg said:

Thanks. Please keep us updated because you are the first that practically has everything done but still experiences a brake failure. If you can find out what they replaced, would be a great help for everyone. The ZF IBC [Integrated Brake Controller] is the device to control the boost and hydraulic pressure. I believe the Brake Control Module [BCM] is also integrated into the IBC for the 1 package. If it is not, I would like to know [the dealer would had to replace the IBC or master cylinder and then the separate module BCM].

I will gather all my paperwork and list as much detail as I can for what has been completed so far.  Its at the dealer now, for an unknown amount of time.  I was told they were going to have a GM tech come and look at it directly.    I keep getting the "can't duplicate it here" BS.  But every time I have have lost breaks I have taken photos and video that shows time and miles on the vehicle as evidence.

Is this limited to the 2019 or are people seeing it with 2020 as well?

17 hours ago, SpiderMA said:

I will gather all my paperwork and list as much detail as I can for what has been completed so far.  Its at the dealer now, for an unknown amount of time.  I was told they were going to have a GM tech come and look at it directly.    I keep getting the "can't duplicate it here" BS.  But every time I have have lost breaks I have taken photos and video that shows time and miles on the vehicle as evidence.

Is this limited to the 2019 or are people seeing it with 2020 as well?

I’m curious as well. 

i have a 2020 AT4 (build date 9/19), I checked my recall notices on the ‘myGMC’ app and I have seat belt tensioner and alternator wire recalls.

New to forum:  Had this happen a few days ago and found this site searching to see if anyone else had experienced this.  I took it to the dealer right away, I wasn't that far from them.  Once I got the vehicle stopped, I shut it off and started it up again, and the brakes came back with just the check engine light on.  Quite a scare when your truck won't stop, but the dealer doesn't really seem to care.  I got the whole "unable to reproduce" bit after "putting 30 miles on the truck".  Which is kind of ludicrous given that no one ever stated that this was easily repeatable or that there is a magical number of 30 miles that all issues must be reproducible in or something?!? They contacted GM and they didn't offer anything other than to check if all electrical cables are plugged in well, which they were, so they literally did nothing and said I can have my truck back.  I told them there's no way I'm taking that thing back, given the scenario that we a) lost braking and b) don't know when it will happen again, it's unsafe.  Starting the escalation process.  I'm amazed that there is no sense of emergency with losing the ability to stop or get out of a dangerous situation.

I did start the truck from myGMC app, however if you read back in this thread I don't think that was true of early posters.  It seems like this is just more of a recent correlation because it's cold out and people are starting their vehicle with the app, but don't know for sure.  I might swing into the dealer today and start the truck with my app to see if it does it again.

Mine happened at the dealership, while it was already running, inside the dealership carwash. My sales guy was with me and he saw the dash light up like everyone else’s. They bled my brakes 3 times to bring the pressure back up and reprogrammed the computer. This was last June/July. Since then, I’ve put on 10,000 km and it hasn’t happened again. Good luck everyone.