Anyone lost brakes besides me.

3 hours ago, Jeff and his Silverado said:

To answer JAshworth03 , my dealership said there was one other owner with the brake issue. I'm sorry, I don't believe him. I am not trusting of anything I am told at an auto dealership, be it while buying a new car or whilst it's in service. Just a lot of bad experiences, they lie.

Funny.  I was told the exact same.  One other person.  I’m just trying to figure out if it’s widespread or not

I'm currently deployed overseas but my wife just got our 2019 RST back from the dealership after a week.  She was driving and went to apply the brakes and the pedal went to the floor.  She said there was almost no braking at all.

The dealership replaced the left front brake wear sensor as you can see in the attachment.  They also told my wife did a software update.

Needless to say, how can anyone feel safe in one of these trucks. A software glitch causing loss of brakes is insane!

Truck brakesjpg.jpg

On 8/24/2019 at 5:57 PM, eppieguy said:

I was not giving a smart response, if you read back you’ll see that I agree this is a serious issue and I’ve had it as well. What I am saying is that people come here to research buying new trucks and new owners come in looking as well and they see “I lost my brakes” they are freaked out. Yes, we have lost power assist, gotten multiple errors on the dash and probably soiled some peoples shorts but you can stop the truck and we haven’t “Lost the brakes” which would mean you cannot stop until you hit something or coasted to a stop. As I’ve said in prior posts I’m in no way downplaying this issue as it is a serious issue but if we “Lost the brakes” there would be a big recall, not a TSB for software update and possibly another part (I forgot forget what it was). You sir have a wonderful day! 

Wow, you are absolutely unbelievable.  I can't tell if you're a GM employee or just a fanboy. You repeatedly downplayed many posters comments about a potentially lethal issue with these trucks. For the average consumer in a high traffic situation it isn't going to make a difference if the brakes have failed at the 100% point or the 10% point. The only thing you are accomplishing is alienating good folks who have experienced a BRAKE FAILURE. My wife almost crashed into an intersection last week full of 60 mph traffic.  If several of the vehicles hadn't swerved when the truck entered the intersection she may not have survived it.  Would your answer be, but you still had 10% left? 

2 hours ago, Rob41 said:

Wow, you are absolutely unbelievable.  I can't tell if you're a GM employee or just a fanboy. You repeatedly downplayed many posters comments about a potentially lethal issue with these trucks. For the average consumer in a high traffic situation it isn't going to make a difference if the brakes have failed at the 100% point or the 10% point. The only thing you are accomplishing is alienating good folks who have experienced a BRAKE FAILURE. My wife almost crashed into an intersection last week full of 60 mph traffic.  If several of the vehicles hadn't swerved when the truck entered the intersection she may not have survived it.  Would your answer be, but you still had 10% left? 

I completely agree with you. I was in a parking lot when mine failed and although it was at very low speeds it was terrifying. My 12 year old will not get back in my truck and I don't blame her. I can't imagine brake failure at highway speeds!! Some have said "well most of these are failing at low speeds." Okay, so slowly rolling over a child in the crosswalk of my child's school is far more acceptable! Ugh!! Brake failure is NEVER ACCEPTABLE! The really unfortunate thing is that a lot of people would not know to downshift, or have time for that matter, to downshift and try to let the transmission slow the vehicle in a time of failure! Hoping that GM gets this figured out before someone gets killed if they haven't already!

11 hours ago, Rob41 said:

I'm currently deployed overseas but my wife just got our 2019 RST back from the dealership after a week.  She was driving and went to apply the brakes and the pedal went to the floor.  She said there was almost no braking at all.

The dealership replaced the left front brake wear sensor as you can see in the attachment.  They also told my wife did a software update.

Needless to say, how can anyone feel safe in one of these trucks. A software glitch causing loss of brakes is insane!

Truck brakesjpg.jpg

Rob, you said your wife got the RST back from the dealership before this incident. What did the Dealer do to the RST while at the dealer? If they did the recalls during this time, many owners are experiencing a loss of brakes with the idiot lights after a period of time. Most complaints point to starting the vehicle remotely with the Chevy or GMC MyApp which causes the failure for some unknown software reason. There have been some customers report a loss of brakes without using the MyApp. So in this case DO NOT USE the APP. Losing the wear sensor will not cause this problem, but the broken wire might be something. Normally after the loss of brakes and the vehicle is shut off, the error condition will clear usually with only the CEL on. If the loss of brakes happen again, call Onstar or the dealer to get it towed to the dealer and line up a loaner. Keep all the documentation, emails, receipts, phone calls or anything that you can use if this situation goes south ie Lemon Law Buyback. By the Way Eppieguy has been on here for a long time and he helps out many owners and he was in no way trying to downplay this situation.

Edited by Rocz3cqg

I know this is a serious issue, and am no way trying to down play it, I would love to see numbers:

- how many lost their brakes WITHOUT  getting the brake recall and without starting the truck with the APP. 

- how many have lost their brakes getting the recall (with not prior issues) and NOT using the APP to start the truck. 
- how many have lost their brakes getting the recall (with not prior issues) and starting it with the app. 

Here is a spreadsheet of mostly everyone from this forum [plus some from Facebook] and I tried to capture everything someone said about their experience. Just click on the pic and use the Magnifier to expand to read.

• Like 1

As I posted earlier, maybe in a different thread, I started the Silverado LTZ, got the total system brake failure (max speed 62 mph) error, at the same time that I was pulling out of my driveway. I almost got whacked. I finally reversed back up onto my driveway and had it towed. Important to note: they just had the car the week before working on the brake pad wear sensor issue, which was showing 64% on the new truck. I have the truck back and it’s behaved for a week. Scary - we’ll see. Still nobody from Chevy reached  our to me 

On 1/10/2020 at 1:02 PM, RadCopperND said:

Has it happened again since? Both times my 2019 LTZ did it, was when i used my phone to start the truck. Never had an issue with my app starting the truck until the dealing performed the brake recall. Been driving a loaner truck for 3 weeks!

Not yet, fingers crossed. My lane keep and associated features are still bricked, but the brakes have held up so far.

10 hours ago, Rocz3cqg said:

Here is a spreadsheet of mostly everyone from this forum [plus some from Facebook] and I tried to capture everything someone said about their experience. Just click on the pic and use the Magnifier to expand to read.

That is great work. Over 100 people on forums and FB having brake failure. Scary since this represents only a small fraction of the overall owners.

If GM knows the app is causing the problem than you would think GM would dissable the app for the time being until they work the bugs out! I guess that $14.99 is too important to them. Lol 

I have been following this issue since I had the recall done (12-19-2019) to my 19 elevation. I have not had any of the problems you guys have had (knock on wood). I also have not used the gmc app to start the truck either. I have only used the fob or the push button in the truck. After reading these issues I will be certain to not use the app.

Whelp, the truck relapsed last night.  I have been using the app to remote start the truck since I got it back over a week ago and no issues.  Last night used the app and when we got in the truck I noticed the CEL was luminated prior to pushing the start button.  Once the truck was turned on, all the warning messages began popping up.  Restarted twice and the brakes reset and was able to drive home.   Will be contacting the dealer on Monday.