Anyone lost brakes besides me.

Perhaps General Motors' heavily subsidized iseecars.com and J.D. Power can team up to create a new prime time television commercial.  The commercial will depict an innocent mother driving her three kids to school.  She briefly glances in her rear-view mirror as everyone is frantically braking at an oncoming stop light.  When the she spots the big Chevrolet Bowtie badge quickly approaching, she instinctively changes lanes to prevent being rear-ended.  

Then the commercial abruptly changes scenes to depict a large showroom with assortment of GM cars & trucks and hundreds of loyal GM customers which are nothing more than paid television actors.  The Chevrolet spokesman informs the audience that GM trucks are the most dependable, longest lasting, highest quality, safest vehicles on the road four years in a row with a jaw-dropping MultiPro tailgate.

Edited by 1997SierraSLT

I lost my brakes once at around 3000 miles. I’m at 4700 now and it’s hasn’t happened since. When it happened I was leaving for work in the morning, I used the key to start the truck as I have a low trim level so no remote start or key fob features. The truck showed all the same messages mentioned here and check engine light came on. I was lurking the forums so I was kinda aware of the issue from this thread so I turned the ignition off completely and back on again, sure enough all the codes cleared minus the check engine and the brakes worked just fine after that. The check engine code cleared it’s self later that day. 
i called the dealer, they said to bring the truck in and that they haven’t heard anything like this happening, no loaners available blah blah. I live a far distance from the dealer and do my own service on the truck so they aren’t doing me any favors. I was gonna bring my truck in for the recalls that are out but now Im going to wait till the dust settles and they have real fixes instead crutches and bandaids.

Edited by Ryguy

55 minutes ago, Ryguy said:

I lost my brakes once at around 3000 miles. I’m at 4700 now and it’s haven’t happened since. When it happened I was leaving for work in the morning, I used the key to start the truck as I have a low trim level and not remote start or key fob features. The truck showed all the same messages mentioned here and check engine light came on. I was lurking the forums so I was kinda aware of the issue from this thread so I turned the ignition off completely and back on again, sure enough all the codes cleared minus the check engine and the brakes worked just fine after that. Code cleared it’s self later that day. 
i called the dealer, they said to bring the truck in and that they haven’t heard anything like this happening, no loaners available blah blah. I live a far distance from the dealer and do my own service on the truck so they aren’t doing me any favors. I was gonna bring my truck in for the recalls that are out but now Im going to wait till the dust settles and they have real fixes instead crutches and bandaids.

Isn't it odd how all these dealers that never heard of this problem are running short on loaners??

• Like 1

Sorry to sound like a skeptic, but there’s no way a fix will be ready in three days time. If GM knew it would be happening on the 17th, I’d like to think that GM would be telling the dealerships to buy themselves some breathing room from the growing number of complaints. I hope I’m wrong,  but I don’t think so...

Yup, I’m skeptical too. I told them to call me back when they know the problem is actually resolved. I may never hear from them again [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Shawn O'Leary said:

Said it would be cleaner/easier. It was their "executive level assistance" department, that they took over my claim from their customer service team. 

Who did you contact? do you have the phone number? I am being met with huge resistance and have hit a dead end. 

I have not been able to get GM to agree to a swap.  And they have my exact truck currently onsite.    So now they are going to put me in a rental truck until they actually develop and install a fix.  

So I am forced to start the process.  I have contacted an attorney and will send official notice.  While the clock ticks away...... 

seems like it would be so much easier to put me in the 2020.  Hell I would even pay a couple grand for the newer year.  Just not the probably 9k they are going to say it depreciated when I drove it off the lot. 

I'm with you SpiderMA(n). I should also note that my dealer says he has all my paperwork on his desk and "checks on it everyday".

My brake failure happened on January 3rd, 2020. It was towed to the dealership, they cleared the codes and gave it back to me.

I should also note that the new truck also needed to have both of the temp control knobs replaced, they were factory defective, didn't work.

The day after I bought the truck, I went out in the morning and started it- it was cold out so I went to turn up the heat. Not so fast. broken.

Temp wouldn't adjust from the knobs. The dealer told me I can use the touchscreen. I was also told that Chevy has no quality control division, and they don't make cars like they used to. Also, my back gate would close, the latch I mean. They had to replace some parts there. I also have an extremely loose gear shift lever,  about 1 1/2" play in drive, hangs like a loose noodle. I've had it back twice for that- they can't fix it I guess. Also, brake pad life showed at 64% the day I bought the truck. It took 2 trips to the dealer to fix/reset(?) that, but I guess while they were at it they "addressed" the brake recall. After that, I had the brake failure. I'm also getting a shake/vibration/oscillation in the suspension that they summarily refuse to even address. They said they balanced the wheels and that should fix it, which it did not. So, believe it or not, I actually still love my truck in spite of all this, so i'm just considering my next moves, but if the total system brake failure occurs once more, I'll be looking at trading the vehicle for a Ram. I don't want a RAm but I need  truck, and I often have small children with me.

5 hours ago, Shawn O'Leary said:

Isn't it odd how all these dealers that never heard of this problem are running short on loaners??

Yup it’s crazy. My truck is used for work, I’m self employed so no truck means no income for me. They didn’t seem to care though and didn’t offer me any alternatives or solutions. Just bring it in and we’ll take a look haha. 
I also mentioned the loud clicking noise I get on cold starts in the morning (not normal) and the service manager flat out told me it’s normal! He said it’s the lifters, they are loud on these trucks...this is over the phone without even hearing the noise!? These dealers/GM can’t be trusted!

A little food for thought here... Hypothetically speaking... You are driving down the highway at 65mph to a red light. You apply the brakes and find that you have no brakes. You get into a crash and someone dies... This brake failure is only good for one ignition cycle which means after the vehicle is turned off and back on the lights all go away. How many have had dealerships tell them "cannot duplicate"? Now it just looks like you have been negligent and ran a red light causing a crash. Welcome to the lawsuits with no way to prove brake failure! Is it worth getting back in that truck again!!!??? We cannot let GM walk all over the little guys!!

A little food for thought here... Hypothetically speaking... You are driving down the highway at 65mph to a red light. You apply the brakes and find that you have no brakes. You get into a crash and someone dies... This brake failure is only good for one ignition cycle which means after the vehicle is turned off and back on the lights all go away. How many have had dealerships tell them "cannot duplicate"? Now it just looks like you have been negligent and ran a red light causing a crash. Welcome to the lawsuits with no way to prove brake failure! Is it worth getting back in that truck again!!!??? We cannot let GM walk all over the little guys!!

That is a very good point. Also, driving these trucks with known issues may be a liability issue too???

11 hours ago, Shawn O'Leary said:

No it is not, given that dealers will not have a large loaner fleet as it is and there are other vehicles out there besides the Silverado/Sierra that have their own issues. 

20 minutes ago, TLDLTD said:

That is a very good point. Also, driving these trucks with known issues may be a liability issue too???

I completely agree! GM is currently claiming that this is a voltage issue from using the app to start the truck. Problem with that is some owners have had brake failure without using the app. Owners are being advised to not use the app or the key fob to start the truck and they "should be fine". GM is knowingly putting consumers at risk!

22 minutes ago, Colossus said:

So who can be? 

Myself. Honestly haha. I even passed up the free oil change! I’ve had bad experiences with all dealers I’ve delt with Toyota and Ford not just singling out Chevy, and I love my truck just didn’t expect to be paying all this money and not get a little better service, and gm owning up to a massive issue that could seriously hurt or kill people