Anyone lost brakes besides me.

9 hours ago, slednchick said:

A little food for thought here... Hypothetically speaking... You are driving down the highway at 65mph to a red light. You apply the brakes and find that you have no brakes. You get into a crash and someone dies... This brake failure is only good for one ignition cycle which means after the vehicle is turned off and back on the lights all go away. How many have had dealerships tell them "cannot duplicate"? Now it just looks like you have been negligent and ran a red light causing a crash. Welcome to the lawsuits with no way to prove brake failure! Is it worth getting back in that truck again!!!??? We cannot let GM walk all over the little guys!!

Your dealership is the expert at servicing your vehicle. If you experience a loss of brakes, you are expected to have it sent to the dealership to be looked at and repaired. Dealership gives it back to you and says everything is ok, you get in a fender bender, a case could be made that the dealership failed. Now if you experience the repeated failure of the brakes and do nothing about it, you would be held responsible. In either case you, the dealership and GM will be sued in the long run just due to our system.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rocz3cqg said:

Your dealership is the expert at servicing your vehicle. If you experience a loss of brakes, you are expected to have it sent to the dealership to be looked at and repaired. Dealership gives it back to you and says everything is ok, you get in a fender bender, a case could be made that the dealership failed. Now if you experience the repeated failure of the brakes and do nothing about it, you would be held responsible. In either case you, the dealership and GM will be sued in the long run just due to our system.

Dealerships are only allowed to fix the issue per instructions from GM. GM has told them to replace master cylinders, bleed brakes, reprogrammed brake modules, and so on. None of these fixes worked and the brake failure reoccured. That is not the fault of the dealership and the liability surely doesn't sit with the dealership if they did exactly what they were told by the manufacturer would fix the problem.

12 hours ago, TLDLTD said:

That is a very good point. Also, driving these trucks with known issues may be a liability issue too???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, slednchick said:

A little food for thought here... Hypothetically speaking... You are driving down the highway at 65mph to a red light. You apply the brakes and find that you have no brakes. You get into a crash and someone dies... This brake failure is only good for one ignition cycle which means after the vehicle is turned off and back on the lights all go away. How many have had dealerships tell them "cannot duplicate"? Now it just looks like you have been negligent and ran a red light causing a crash. Welcome to the lawsuits with no way to prove brake failure! Is it worth getting back in that truck again!!!??? We cannot let GM walk all over the little guys!!

I was initially told by my service manager that all the codes were gone, after the 3rd restart they cleared except for the CEL. I actually disputed that with the service manager.  Cars with this much technology there is no way this data is not saved somewhere.   Someone knows how to get it if they really wanted to.   Now I have been told that corp GM engineering techs have connected to my truck and were able to get data that showed exactly what happened, how I started the truck, what codes occurred etc.    People say what they want to get you out of their face.  Its that simple.  

• Like 1

Oh there is definitely a "black box" in these newer vehicles.  They can obtain all the data from your driving and the police will often do this in serous crash investigations. They can get consent or obtain a search warrant for it. 

6 minutes ago, Jricharc said:

Oh there is definitely a "black box" in these newer vehicles.  They can obtain all the data from your driving and the police will often do this in serous crash investigations. They can get consent or obtain a search warrant for it. 

Not only this, but these trucks are also sending realtime data back to OnStar/GM. They're mobile data points. GM will literally tell you if you've hard braked or hard accelerated in a monthly report. If they're saying there's no data, they're likely lying.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SpiderMA said:

Ok the “fix” is out I am told.   Its being performed on my truck right now.    See attached.  

Good luck to us all.    I have doubts this will actually fix it.   

6A12FBD5-2484-4B6A-A2AE-D43A634E4BF0.jpeg

199F5EA9-3B4B-4682-B161-8D4864195AB7.jpeg

Same here. Suppose to be picking up my truck in an hour. Going to be a test as I’m immediately hitting the road for 8 hours. I’m still pursuing that they buy it back. Yesterday when I stopped by to get something out of my truck, the tailgate wouldn’t open. New parts ordered and will take half day to fix it next week. Not a year old and it’s been in the shop 20 plus days. 

I know we all willingly purchased these trucks but seems wrong that we’re basically the test dummies for the new platform. Maybe GM didn’t do enough r&d before putting them into consumers hands. I love this truck but I can’t help but feel duped. I think GM should work out some kind of kick back to us for helping them figure all these problems out, like that would ever happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryguy said:

I know we all willingly purchased these trucks but seems wrong that we’re basically the test dummies for the new platform. Maybe GM didn’t do enough r&d before putting them into consumers hands. I love this truck but I can’t help but feel duped. I think GM should work out some kind of kick back to us for helping them figure all these problems out, like that would ever happen.

No amount of R&D is going to find everything that could go wrong in something as advanced as modern day vehicles.  Sadly.  It is not until you get a good number of vehicles out on the road (10,000+) that things like this will be discovered.  All to be expected for the first year or two.  Such are the risks we take.  No guarantees.  Just glad there is a warranty and hope it's nothing catastrophic.  I do believe that manufactures can lower the likelihood of failures by using the best materials they can and over engineering things, which is how companies like Toyota and Honda and eventually Hyundai/Kia become some of the best when it comes to long term reliability.  Toyota, Honda, and Nissan, (the big Japanese 3 as we know it)  back in the early 80s realized that if they were going to be successful in selling more vehicles and expanding globally, they needed to step up the game because their reliability was terrible, (so was everyone else back then though with FWD 4 and 6 cylinder vehicles becoming the norm) But what Toyota and Honda (and a few others) did was to stop taking short cuts for the sake of saving $$$ and instead, invested heavily in engineering and research.  They more or less set a goal to engineer a 300,000 mile capable drive train.  Which meant they needed to use materials and methods that would ensure it could happen.  I was told by someone, and don't know if it is in fact true- but that they had highly paid top of the industry engineers who would study the movement of just 1 single part on that vehicle.  A piston, a valve, a fuel line, a sensor.. you name it.  Their job was to explore how well that would hold up in various scenarios, designed differently, using different metals or such that would help them reach that 300,000 mile goal.  They engineered and designed a 300,000+ mile engine that would not break down often and had low cost of ownership.  By the mid-80s, their progress was beginning to get noticed as their reliability ratings increased drastically and thus did their sales and in 1989, The Honda Accord became the best selling car in America, the first time a non-domestic auto manufacturer won that title Surpassing the Ford Taurus by 14,600 units.  Ford Taurus would return to being the best selling car for a few years in the 90s though (thanks to large fleet sales mostly)  and then it was Honda for a year or two and then The Toyota Camry for the past 10+ years I believe. 

Hyundai and Kia realized in the late 90s and early 2000s that they had nothing but shit when it came to products and reliability.  They too invested heavily in R&D (and I firmly believe they did a lot of reverse engineering from Toyota and Honda and a few others) and they hired the best in the industry and by the time 2010 rolled around, they were moving up quickly on the reliability ratings and eventually hit the top 5. 

My point in all of this is that if GM, Ford, and Dodge (and the euro manufacturers) could humble themselves enough and invest at the sake of some profits and bottom line revenue earned and do what Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai have done, taking the time to hire the best and use the best materials out there, then perhaps they could give a superior product that earns trust.  But instead, we are seeing the elimination of products because they couldn't compete in that segment.  We are seeing Dodge make good progress with improving the Ram's reliability and marketability and it is showing in the latest reports.  I'm happy about that.  I am sad though because Ford and GM have so much potential but it just seems to be wasted. 

Sorry if this didn't make any sense, I just had some surgery done today and I'm a bit doped out on pain killers. 

Edited by Colossus

I have a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 ltz. I purchased it new 35 days ago. I recently encountered a very dangerous situation. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle lost it's braking ability. The brake pedal was fully depressed but would not stop. The vehicle coasted until it came to a complete stop. The display indicated Service TraiIer Brake System, Service ESC, Brake System Failure, and CEL. I powered the vehicle off and restarted it. The CEL remained on. The other lights went away. The brakes appeared to work better, but when I applied them I experienced a jerking motion. I called my local Chevrolet dealership. I scheduled an appointment that yielded no resolution as my check engine light remained on when I left the appointment. I was told that the problem "might" be a result of starting my vehicle using the "My Chevrolet" mobile app. Further, I was told that nothing was done to repair the issue as they didn't know exactly how to fix the problem. I was informed that the tech did find a service bulletin and based upon the contents thereof, I "should be okay" if I didn't use the app anymore. Further, I was told that I would receive a call when a solution was determined. I was perplexed as to how there appeared to be a lack of urgency/concern regarding a malfunction of something as important as the braking system.

Fast forward to three days ago... While driving in traffic, I pressed the brakes again and they were unresponsive. After nearly having a heart attack, I quickly pressed them again and they engaged. (Thank God) However, this is definitely unacceptable. I immediately called GM and my local dealership as I refused to get behind the wheel again. Between the two of them a  tow was arranged to the dealer and a loaner was issued as they work to repair the problem. I have been a long time advocate of GM products. However, their quality and service has become subpar as of late. The mileage at the initial brake failure was 2400. The mileage at the second was 2800

1 hour ago, DBH2302 said:

I have a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 ltz. I purchased it new 35 days ago. I recently encountered a very dangerous situation. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle lost it's braking ability. The brake pedal was fully depressed but would not stop. The vehicle coasted until it came to a complete stop. The display indicated Service TraiIer Brake System, Service ESC, Brake System Failure, and CEL. I powered the vehicle off and restarted it. The CEL remained on. The other lights went away. The brakes appeared to work better, but when I applied them I experienced a jerking motion. I called my local Chevrolet dealership. I scheduled an appointment that yielded no resolution as my check engine light remained on when I left the appointment. I was told that the problem "might" be a result of starting my vehicle using the "My Chevrolet" mobile app. Further, I was told that nothing was done to repair the issue as they didn't know exactly how to fix the problem. I was informed that the tech did find a service bulletin and based upon the contents thereof, I "should be okay" if I didn't use the app anymore. Further, I was told that I would receive a call when a solution was determined. I was perplexed as to how there appeared to be a lack of urgency/concern regarding a malfunction of something as important as the braking system.

Fast forward to three days ago... While driving in traffic, I pressed the brakes again and they were unresponsive. After nearly having a heart attack, I quickly pressed them again and they engaged. (Thank God) However, this is definitely unacceptable. I immediately called GM and my local dealership as I refused to get behind the wheel again. Between the two of them a  tow was arranged to the dealer and a loaner was issued as they work to repair the problem. I have been a long time advocate of GM products. However, their quality and service has become subpar as of late. The mileage at the initial brake failure was 2400. The mileage at the second was 2800

GM just came out with a revised TSB PIT5728B [1/16/2020] to replace PIT5728A [which basically did not do anything except tell the owner not to use the remote app] which is suppose to fix the braking problem which is due to some low electrical voltage and the remote start app.

• Like 1