Anyone lost brakes besides me.

Update:  My truck is in for the 4th occurrence now.  Dealer called me late yesterday to say GM is aware of this issue now and do not want them to give me back the truck until they determine what’s wrong with the software.  They think it’s a software issue (which I have been saying for a while).     i guess it’s good that GM is even agreeing there is an issue.  That’s a big step rather than the typical. 

They also probably don’t want me to have a lemon law claim due to attempted fixes.

Edited by SpiderMA

Fourth quarter: GM reported Silverado sales rose 1% to 163,341. 

Fourth quarter: Ram sales rose 7% to 172,579. 

For the year: Silverado sales slipped 2% to 575,600. 

For the year: Ram sales rose 18% to a record 633,694. 

That's right, Ram sales topped the Silverado by 10.1% for 2019.

guess everyone likes to have brakes!

37 minutes ago, Chevy sad said:

Fourth quarter: GM reported Silverado sales rose 1% to 163,341. 

Fourth quarter: Ram sales rose 7% to 172,579. 

For the year: Silverado sales slipped 2% to 575,600. 

For the year: Ram sales rose 18% to a record 633,694. 

That's right, Ram sales topped the Silverado by 10.1% for 2019.

guess everyone likes to have brakes!

Although impressive for RAM, it doesn't tell the whole story:

Total GM truck (Silverado and Sierra)  sales were 807,923 both LD and HD

RAM doesn't break out those numbers. 

So, we don't know how many LD rams were sold vs. Chevy or GMC.

But, here's the link so people can parse the numbers for themselves:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30390240/ram-1500-vs-chevy-silverado-truck-sales/

This exact issue happened to me last night.  My wife and I went out to dinner, and I started the truck using the MyChevy app to warm up.  When I got into the truck I noticed a bunch of dash lights lite up, just like in some of the pictures on this post (I also attached the picture I took).  When I pressed the start button all of the lights remained on.  I shut the truck off and immediately started it agin but all of the lights were still on.  Not knowing what was going on I decided to drive it home, about 16 miles from where we were.  When I went to pull out of the parking lot I noticed that my breaks were like a 1960’s truck with no power brakes, and I almost went through an intersection.  I took it to the dealer this morning and lets see what they say.  I just had all the recalls done one week ago on Dec 27th.  After reading all of these posts I am not too confident that anything will get done right away.  I was a long time F150 owner and decided to go to the dark side when the Trailboss came out. I love the truck but I can honestly say this was the scariest thing I have ever experienced in a vehicle.  I am just waiting to hear what they say and then I will get ready to file my complaint with GM, probably for that to fall on deaf ears.  May have to go back to a Ford if they don’t get this straightened out quickly!

F8022970-B115-49A1-8802-43A605DBFBA1.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Brandt

Finally picked up my truck from the dealership last night and was told they believe the issue was caused because the update/recall was performed without the truck being hooked up to a battery charger while updating.  Dealership stated GM techs believe the update/recall causes the truck's battery to drain to a critical level and the software update doesn't completely download correctly.  They said symptoms begin with trucks that lost all driver assist functions after the update/recall.  Service manager said they charged my battery and then reinstalled the update/recall while still connected to the charger.

No issues driving home last night, guess time will tell. 

BTW, GM Customer Care is nothing more than incompetent lip service!  I could start an entire thread on just the headache I had with them.

4 hours ago, Jeff Brandt said:

This exact issue happened to me last night.  My wife and I went out to dinner, and I started the truck using the MyChevy app to warm up.  When I got into the truck I noticed a bunch of dash lights lite up, just like in some of the pictures on this post (I also attached the picture I took).  When I pressed the start button all of the lights remained on.  I shut the truck off and immediately started it agin but all of the lights were still on.  Not knowing what was going on I decided to drive it home, about 16 miles from where we were.  When I went to pull out of the parking lot I noticed that my breaks were like a 1960’s truck with no power brakes, and I almost went through an intersection.  I took it to the dealer this morning and lets see what they say.  I just had all the recalls done one week ago on Dec 27th.  After reading all of these posts I am not too confident that anything will get done right away.  I was a long time F150 owner and decided to go to the dark side when the Trailboss came out. I love the truck but I can honestly say this was the scariest thing I have ever experienced in a vehicle.  I am just waiting to hear what they say and then I will get ready to file my complaint with GM, probably for that to fall on deaf ears.  May have to go back to a Ford if they don’t get this straightened out quickly!

F8022970-B115-49A1-8802-43A605DBFBA1.jpeg

This happened to me today as well. Very unnerving, especially with your kids in the back seat.

So just to reinforce my theory, my neighbor also has a 2019 Silverado and hasn’t had any issues minus the recalls(which he addressed a few weeks back). When I told him about my truck and my belief that the App was my suspected culprit, he started his truck using the My Chevrolet app and guess what......his truck’s instrument panel lit up with the ESC codes too. He bought his truck at a dealership other than mine, so we’ll wait and see. 

I’m sure he’s just thrilled to have listened to me!

56 minutes ago, DenaliDonkey said:

So just to reinforce my theory, my neighbor also has a 2019 Silverado and hasn’t had any issues minus the recalls(which he addressed a few weeks back). When I told him about my truck and my belief that the App was my suspected culprit, he started his truck using the My Chevrolet app and guess what......his truck’s instrument panel lit up with the ESC codes too. He bought his truck at a dealership other than mine, so we’ll wait and see. 

I’m sure he’s just thrilled to have listened to me!

That's very neighborly of you. ?

I think I am going to hold off on any recall / updates to the brake system for a bit...mine isn't doing it at the moment.  No need to fix what isn't broken (yet)

My 19 Trailboss did this this morning. Brake failure, trailer brake failure all the other warnings. First time it has happened. It is -16 outside but still nonsense. Is my first new Chevy and not impressed.

Going to the dealer Wen, they can fix the other recalls to like catching fire or whatever and alternator cable.

13 hours ago, DenaliDonkey said:

That’s impressive, yet scary. And to think how many others that own these trucks are experiencing issues, but aren’t on this site.

Yeah the Silverado / Sierra Facebook Group is filled with users with this problem. I am sure there are repeat entries but there is still alot and they cover almost every event of brake loss.