Anyone lost brakes besides me.

GM is “aware of the problem“, as we enter the second model year of the same vehicle still having the same problem. Come on GM, get your shit together.

Unbelievable that the same crap that happened to me in January is still happening to others in December. I mean, it’s only brakes I guess...

• Like 1

There is no reason why today’s electronics heavy vehicles can’t record every instance an indicator lights up on the instrument cluster signaling a malfunction/fault.

GM simply chooses to not incorporate this logic into their software.  It’s more economical for GM to simply tell you, “sorry, unable to duplicate”

1 hour ago, 1997SierraSLT said:

There is no reason why today’s electronics heavy vehicles can’t record every instance an indicator lights up on the instrument cluster signaling a malfunction/fault.

GM simply chooses to not incorporate this logic into their software.  It’s more economical for GM to simply tell you, “sorry, unable to duplicate”

100% accurate.    My AT4 was towed into dealer twice in 2 days.   This is exactly what I said to my service rep.   He said “what are you complaining to me for I don’t engineer the vehicle.    Call GM to complain”    I have bought 6 GM vehicles in 12 years ( for my company and family) !!!  This may be my last which really sucks as I love my AT4. 

After the 1st no brake visit,  they gave it back saying they could see the check engine light but the codes were gone after the third restart.  And they couldn’t duplicate it.    But the service rep,  service manager (AHole) and VP of the dealership all told me my car was 100% safe to drive with my kids in the car.    12 miles later ( 1 hour later). I had little to no brakes again with all the same warnings.    

I told them I am not accepting the car back if they tell me that they couldn’t duplicate it .   Just tell me who their council is for my attorney to send the notices.    I will go buy a ford/dodge I guess which will really bum me out.  What else can you do.  I can’t take the risk with my family or me hitting anyone else’s. 

28 minutes ago, mistaare said:

Wonder what the percentage of vehicles has to experience this be before GM will acknowledge and address it? 

I’ve been curious what the percentage of trucks with this happening actually is. I have a feeling it’s either really a lot of them due to a design flaw, or a very small amount whose owners all end up here to talk about it. 

8 hours ago, tuna mac said:

I’ve been curious what the percentage of trucks with this happening actually is. I have a feeling it’s either really a lot of them due to a design flaw, or a very small amount whose owners all end up here to talk about it. 

IMO, if there are a lot of them, it’s a design flaw. 

If it’s very small percentage, there has to be a commonality, like build date, location, parts supplier etc (who knows, I am just throwing things out there). 

this terrifies me. I love my AT4, absolutely love it. But I love my brakes even more! ? 

2019 Silverado High Country owned 1 month with 1500 miles

12/23/19 brakes system failure while backing out of a parking space.  Truck was in limp mode with very little, 5-10% braking on first attempt to brake and approximately 50% on second depression of the brake pedal.  Limped to dealership which was 2 miles away and was told something in the brake system requested the check engine light.  Manager states he reset the computer and a visual inspection showed no leaks.  Told everything should be fine and to bring it back on 12/26/19 and they will take a closer look.  I live 40 miles by freeway away, this was not a safe option!  After multiple discussion between the sales and service departments I was put in a rental (dealership expense) until they can look at truck.

Unbelievable GM knows of this problem and is rolling the dice instead of a hard and safe fix!   Truck was sold without having recalls performed.  Took truck in for a flat tire at 700 miles and dealership completed recalls.  While doing so, it disabled my camera which disabled all driver assist (lane departure, following distance, auto high beams, etc.) and had to be brought back.  Dealership messed with it for 3 hours before deciding to order a new camera.  Left the dealership and all systems began rebooting themselves and coming back online.  Took truck through brushless car wash and discovered my truck is one of the lucky rear window leaking trucks!  Still waiting on this to be corrected.  On this note, while I was at the dealership for the brake failure last night I poked my head in a brand new 2019 GMC Denali in the showroom and the headliner had a huge stain on the passenger side and the rear window leaked on both sides.  Just 5 minutes before this observation a service tech told me the windows only leak because we owners take our vehicles through automatic car washes which we are told in the owners manual not to.  And to top it all off, yesterday morning I was advised by the OnStar rep there is a new recall (12/18/19) for an oil line coming disconnected.  Way to go GM!

On 1/20/2019 at 11:17 PM, Booger T said:

Mine did this a couple of nights ago. Had very little for brakes till I got home, about 4 miles. Next morning everything seemed fine except check engine light was on. That evening when I got off work the check engine light was no longer on. Was also  showing service trailer brake system and service ESC. Going to dealer tomorrow afternoon.

brake.jpg

did they ever tell you what it is? mine has been to the dealer 3 times for the same thing and they are scratching  their heads

20FF4B39-E99C-4A4B-88CD-F0491D4CA06F.jpeg

9A874C7C-7B41-4544-B189-08D33C6BB289.jpeg

28 minutes ago, paynot2019 said:

did they ever tell you what it is? mine has been to the dealer 3 times for the same thing and they are scratching  their heads

There's no fix yet as far I I'm aware please follow the 2 new recalls thread. Mine started doing this after having the recall done and has been at dealer a week, service bulletin from 12/20 says to clear codes but if it happened again they don't currently have a fix

Lost the brakes today!!! Was stopping from about 45 mph and thank goodness no one was in front of me. I called roadside assistance and they took it to the dealership. I got a call today and said the battery was low and they charged it up so get it which I refused and said a truck with 6000 miles on it should not be discharging. 
I ask if they put a new battery in and said no GM said to just charge the battery??

i told them to find what was discharging the battery and they said they would try. 
all of this happened one day after they had completed the recalls. 
called Chevrolet and spoke to an advisor who is supposed to be on the case. Lol

what if this happens while towing??

there has to be something that can be done instead of here is your truck back and it should not happen again?

what if someone gets hurt really bad from another malfunction??

im really scared to drive this thing now and don’t trust it especially when towing!!

3 hours ago, paynot2019 said:

First time they replaced the master cylinder, second time they reprogrammed the brake module, the third time I just let it reset and went on my merry way. Hopefully my new truck will be here shortly after first of year, supposed to be in Kansas City on the 29th. Dealer can then worry about it, also the brakes squalling like a wounded elephant and the two open recalls still on it. Plus the infotainment screen.

3 hours ago, Booger T said:

First time they replaced the master cylinder, second time they reprogrammed the brake module, the third time I just let it reset and went on my merry way. Hopefully my new truck will be here shortly after first of year, supposed to be in Kansas City on the 29th. Dealer can then worry about it, also the brakes squalling like a wounded elephant and the two open recalls still on it. Plus the infotainment screen.

That’s not what I wanted to hear.  Towed in twice already for no brakes.   Just picked it up and GM had them replace the battery (said there was an issue) and also the master cyl and related parts.    I was hoping it would work.   I am really nervous to drive with my kids in the car.  I need to take it on a 600 mile trip in 2 days 

Edited by SpiderMA

1 hour ago, SuperDuper said:

With the potential of losing brakes while driving, is there any sort of emergency braking option?  All I see/have is the parking break button. Would that act as an emergency brake if you press and hold that in these situations where braking is only a small percentage of normal?

I don't believe that the park brake will engage with vehicle in gear.

1 hour ago, SuperDuper said:

With the potential of losing brakes while driving, is there any sort of emergency braking option?  All I see/have is the parking break button. Would that act as an emergency brake if you press and hold that in these situations where braking is only a small percentage of normal?

You still have the mechanical push through on the brakes. Not power assisted obviously at that point but it’s still there.