Anyone lost brakes besides me.

MY issue is opposite on my 19 RST. Just installed my snow tires in garage and now my brakes are stuck on with all the same codes on dash others are seeing. I torqued rims to 140 lbs and also tried 120 to see if the torquing caused an issue. Also disconnected the battery to see if it would reset the faults, which didn't work. So now I'm stuck with my truck in garage so not a happy camper. Wonder if its something small like air pressure sensors in stock tires out of range or something? Never had any issues with my 14 Silverado when switching to the same snow tires other then having the low air pressure idiot light constantly on. I can get truck out of garage if I use low range and overpower the brakes, which I might need to do if I call roadside. 

Dan

19 minutes ago, Dano89 said:

MY issue is opposite on my 19 RST. Just installed my snow tires in garage and now my brakes are stuck on with all the same codes on dash others are seeing. I torqued rims to 140 lbs and also tried 120 to see if the torquing caused an issue. Also disconnected the battery to see if it would reset the faults, which didn't work. So now I'm stuck with my truck in garage so not a happy camper. Wonder if its something small like air pressure sensors in stock tires out of range or something? Never had any issues with my 14 Silverado when switching to the same snow tires other then having the low air pressure idiot light constantly on. I can get truck out of garage if I use low range and overpower the brakes, which I might need to do if I call roadside. 

Dan

did you try stepping on the brake and turning off the parking brake? it wont release unless your foot is on the foot brake

30 minutes ago, bass mechanic said:

did you try stepping on the brake and turning off the parking brake? it wont release unless your foot is on the foot brake

Oh yes tried many things before signing up on here. I'm kind of guessing it might be linked to the tire pressure sensors being absent thus causing a fault. Also noticed my stock 20" rim/tires are about 2" taller then my winters, which I assumed the fitment/size would have been same as my 14 Silverado, which had 18" rims and 275 tires. In process of putting on my reg 20" rims/tires and see what happens from there....thx

Dan

57 minutes ago, Dano89 said:

Dan

Are the winter wheels the same ones you used on your '14?

Are the rims hitting on the calipers?

(with the truck jacked up, can you turn the wheel(s) by hand?)

27 minutes ago, Dano89 said:

Oh yes tried many things before signing up on here. I'm kind of guessing it might be linked to the tire pressure sensors being absent thus causing a fault. Also noticed my stock 20" rim/tires are about 2" taller then my winters, which I assumed the fitment/size would have been same as my 14 Silverado, which had 18" rims and 275 tires. In process of putting on my reg 20" rims/tires and see what happens from there....thx

Dan

Did you try putting your summer rims / tires back on to see if this relieves the fault?

Edit:  Just saw you are doing that now.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Vicarod
Didn't read entire post...

Just put back my summer 20s and my brakes released for whatever reason so truck is now at least mobile. But unfortunately all the codes are still there and brakes work very poorly. My truck has over 20,000 kms and shortly after new I did get all the same codes come on when I took a highway onramp quickly. It then somehow reset itself same day when truck was off for a bit and had no problems afterwards till now. Hoping it resets itself as I'll experiment today.....Gonna call my dealer in morning if it doesn't resolve itself. These fault codes drastically increases brake distance in winter conditions compared to dry pavement. Really isn't safe to drive at all especially in the snow. Fingers crossed it resets itself as it did earlier last summer. 

Dan

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

Are the winter wheels the same ones you used on your '14?

Are the rims hitting on the calipers?

(with the truck jacked up, can you turn the wheel(s) by hand?)

yes same winters I had on my 14. Winters are 17" rims/265 tires. I believe the base Silverado's also come with 17" rims and haven't noticed any clearance issues. At this point the only thing I can think of is the tire pressure sensors are needed so that it doesn't cause a fault. Really weird. 

Dan

6 minutes ago, Dano89 said:

yes same winters I had on my 14. Winters are 17" rims/265 tires. I believe the base Silverado's also come with 17" rims and haven't noticed any clearance issues. At this point the only thing I can think of is the tire pressure sensors are needed so that it doesn't cause a fault. Really weird. 

Dan

Compare the inside of the winter rims with the inside of the ones that came on the truck. 

You might find that the inside of the rim is interfering with / pushing the caliper sideways. 

If you can't turn wheel with the truck jacked up try turning it with the wheel is loosened but not removed.

I guess my opinion is worth what it cost, but I can't imagine, a wheel sensor would prevent the brakes from releasing. 

(after all, what would happen if a few years as sensor batteries begin to fail --- ???)

49 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Compare the inside of the winter rims with the inside of the ones that came on the truck. 

You might find that the inside of the rim is interfering with / pushing the caliper sideways. 

If you can't turn wheel with the truck jacked up try turning it with the wheel is loosened but not removed.

I guess my opinion is worth what it cost, but I can't imagine, a wheel sensor would prevent the brakes from releasing. 

(after all, what would happen if a few years as sensor batteries begin to fail --- ???)

I already swapped them out, but you do have a good point. It looks like the caliper/rotor combo measurement is about 15" and although my winter rims are "17", they do have an inner lip that does dip down to around the 15" mark. So seeing that something caused an issue, I can only bet that is the culprit. thx

Upload a couple pics.....hard to see the inner lip as I oiled up the rims good. 

Camera played a trick as the winters are actually about 2" less height then stocker

Dan

rim.jpg

rim2.jpg

Edited by Dano89

After 87 days I got my truck back.  The master cylinder was replaced.  I have driven it about 150 miles and all is good to this point.  Still don't think it should have taken 87 days to fix this but what can you do.  I am now moving my BBB complaint to settlement to see what I can get for the lost time of use for my vehicle.

Good luck to all of those still waiting.

10 hours ago, Joe Sargent said:

After 87 days I got my truck back.  The master cylinder was replaced.  I have driven it about 150 miles and all is good to this point.  Still don't think it should have taken 87 days to fix this but what can you do.  I am now moving my BBB complaint to settlement to see what I can get for the lost time of use for my vehicle.

Good lord man, I never thought I'd see you get the truck back while following these posts. Hopefully yours stays fixed, I saw @Booger T post on the previous page where it happened to him again after the fix was done months ago.

Took mine to dealer this afternoon. Code showed the brake control module needed reprogramed.  Apparently back in January GM hadn't identified the need to reprogram them. There is not an actual master cylinder in the T1's. Tech says the brake control module is what controls the pump for the brake assist. Time will tell if the reprograming  takes care of the problem.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 6:51 AM, Dano89 said:

Just put back my summer 20s and my brakes released for whatever reason so truck is now at least mobile. But unfortunately all the codes are still there and brakes work very poorly. My truck has over 20,000 kms and shortly after new I did get all the same codes come on when I took a highway onramp quickly. It then somehow reset itself same day when truck was off for a bit and had no problems afterwards till now. Hoping it resets itself as I'll experiment today.....Gonna call my dealer in morning if it doesn't resolve itself. These fault codes drastically increases brake distance in winter conditions compared to dry pavement. Really isn't safe to drive at all especially in the snow. Fingers crossed it resets itself as it did earlier last summer. 

Dan

I can relate to this. When my wheels were  being swapped to 24s, this issue happened moments I left the shop. DIC lit up like a xmas tree and had to letterally stand on the brake pedal to come to a stop, called dealer about the problem and got it scheduled next day. Drove it home carefully and slowly, then next morning only CEL was on, that same afternoon CEL was off and everything seemed to work properly. Got dealer to scan the problem although all the lights were off and came back with a short in the brake master module. Dealer special ordered the part and will be warranty replaced. 

On 11/10/2019 at 9:32 PM, Joe Sargent said:

BBB is useless go lemon law.