GM Accessory Illuminated Front Bowtie Install

On 3/2/2020 at 10:48 AM, Jason Milam said:

It can be pretty tricky if you haven't done it before. It took me a few tries and researching where the grill retainers are to get it right. This video has an image in it that shows exactly where the retainers are located. This was the most helpful for me with figuring out how to remove the grill.

Used this as guidance for the install, appears to be the best one on Youtube.  Basically follows the manufacturers instructions but a lot more info in the video most importantly forget the ones where it says to just yank without first releasing the two tabs on each of the four "wings" above and below the headlights.....try that in cold weather and you'll likely break the wing clips or crack one of the wings.

And the only way top do it right is to remove the grille.....the quick and dirty method of just releasing the top clips and tilting inward forces you to run the cabeling over ther shutter assembly and leaving the tail connected to the LED bowtie traveling vertically upward to the top of the shutter assembly where it will flap around at 60-80 mph and and maybe booger the wiring or pins in the connector. Removal of the grill permits attaching the cabling inside the crossbar to the grill itself shielding it from the air traveling through the grille and positioning it at the convenient rubber gasket behind the upper headlight assembly instead of of a hole in the body behind the shutter assembly.

Took almost 2 hours, instead of twenty minutes for the quick and dirty method, worth the time to  mask off paint (necessary on the RST crossbars) and lens assemblies to prevent scratching. Result came out perfect.....finally got rid of that last pioce of chrome......finish on the lighted bowtie blends in with the factor smoked headlights,DRL and light smoke plexi placed over the fogs.

DSCN0924.JPG.21089b3fcce67752ad30fe521654a540.JPG

DSCN0925.JPG.5644fb196ea1db81c6900faaf358cf70.JPG

DSCN0926.JPG.453b949c7b02d02ab3dea2b23dfca35c.JPG

• Like 1

So i did the install today, and I absolutely can't get the dang grille back on. I can get all the clips except either the left or right bottom clip. If i get all 3 bottom clips in, i can't get the wing clips in. It has left me frustrated to the point that I'm gonna take it to the dealer and let them put it back on for me. I scratched the hell out of the bumper trying to wrestle it back on. looks neat tho

17 minutes ago, Lionel Olguin said:

I had my brother help me out or else the same would of happened to me.

Im alone so im sure a helper would have made it a little easier. Im an OTR truck driver so I gotta wait another week to get it to the dealer. Im afraid im gonna break it if i try it again

1 hour ago, RST-stan said:

So i did the install today, and I absolutely can't get the dang grille back on. I can get all the clips except either the left or right bottom clip. If i get all 3 bottom clips in, i can't get the wing clips in. It has left me frustrated to the point that I'm gonna take it to the dealer and let them put it back on for me. I scratched the hell out of the bumper trying to wrestle it back on. looks neat tho

To replace grill, first make sure retainers in wings are properly seated in the grill and not damaged. First you tilt the bottom of grille and locate three bottom clips at the holes/slots, then lift the top of the grille with the four bolt holes up and over the lip of the steel bulkhead and push top and bottom in together....the spring clips on the two ends should be in proper position and push to seat......the wings must clip in last  after the side clips are seated with a push on the inner clips first and then the outer. If you do not pre-seat the clips partially in the bottom holes first then tilt the top vertical and lift the top over the lip the end clips double each side,  will not be in the seating position and replacement will be difficult or not possible..

13 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

To replace grill, first make sure retainers in wings are properly seated in the grill and not damaged. First you tilt the bottom of grille and locate three bottom clips at the holes/slots, then lift the top of the grille with the four bolt holes up and over the lip of the steel bulkhead and push top and bottom in together....the spring clips on the two ends should be in proper position and push to seat......the wings must clip in last  after the side clips are seated with a push on the inner clips first and then the outer. If you do not pre-seat the clips partially in the bottom holes first then tilt the top vertical and lift the top over the lip the end clips double each side,  will not be in the seating position and replacement will be difficult or not possible..

Yeah man, i screwed around with it for 2 hours trying to seat the bottom 3 first, the clips on the wings are either moving or i have accidentally damaged them

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 7:47 AM, lapoolboy said:

Did you pull back on and "unclick" the red locking tab?  You have to do that and then you can depress the tab on the light harness to unplug it.

...I too got the entire job done in about :20 minutes but I can't get the connector off the headlight. I pulled the red locking tab back (unclicked) but I can't find another tab to 'depress' to release the connector from the headlight. I can see from the new harness what has to happen--because it has both ends--but I can't get the one in the truck to release.

Anyone who did this install want to let go of the OEM front Bowtie?  I would like to color match one and would use this to run while I paint mine.

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...